Dev channel update to 79.0.279.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello insiders, today we’re releasing build 79.0.279.0 to the Dev Channel!  It’s another small change list this week as we begin our work on major version 79.  Some of the most noteworthy changes include: 

New Features:

• Enabled the static certificate pinning feature that was originally available in Chrome.
  • Added a keyboard shortcut to mute tabs on Mac.
  • Added support for hyphenated words when performing single-word intranet searches.

Increased Stability:

• Fixed an issue where watching DRM video like Netflix causes some devices to freeze.
  • Fixed an issue where webpages sometimes crash when watching certain videos.
  • Fixed a crash when using Read Aloud.
  • Fixed an issue where using ctrl+F to find something on a webpage while certain things on the page are highlighted leads to a crash.
  • Fixed some issues with Application Guard sessions not starting.
  • Fixed an issue where navigation in Application Guard windows doesn’t work.

Improved Behavior:

• Fixed an issue where context menus sometimes don’t show all contents properly.
  • Fixed an issue where the autosuggest popup appears on fields where it shouldn’t.
  • Fixed an issue where a collection that’s deleted in one browser window isn’t immediately deleted from other browser windows.
  • Fixed an issue where the translation popup didn’t have a button to close it.
  • Fixed some issues when adding or deleting words in the spellcheck dictionary.
  • Fixed an issue where using the keyboard shortcut to open the downloads page on an IE mode tab opens Edge’s downloads, not IE’s.
  • Fixed an issue where opening the downloads page on an IE mode tab sometimes doesn’t open it in the foreground.
  • Fixed an issue where installing IE mode sites as apps doesn’t properly show the site’s icon.
  • Fixed an issue where the new tab button is invisible on Windows 7 if the Aero theme is used.
  • Fixed an issue where the loading spinner shows up unexpectedly on items in collections.

As always, we appreciate all of your suggestions and feedback! 

29 Replies

@josh_bodner Cheers! Updated fine in the end, but had an interesting turn when I first opened Settings -> About:

2019-09-24_23-50-13.png

Otherwise, spotless update. If only Windows updates were this reliable, heh.

@josh_bodner 

Hi

Any luck to get SSO soon while we connect to company internal website such as intranet, sharepoint...?

it is really a pane to have to login everytime we need to open an internal webpage.

Thanks

@josh_bodner First thing I noticed after getting this update was that my mouse wheel scrolling is jumpy like the old Edge and no longer smooth like Chrome. Were changes made to scrolling?

The media autoplay setting is missing in my site permission settings and I can't even find it in flags. I use Edge with German translation.

@josh_bodner 

There is still NO option to Open a file directly when downloaded! (without saving it first)

This option is standard for MS browsers like EDGE, IE

@josh_bodner  The new Media autoplay option doesn't appear where the associated article says it should (Settings > Site permissions).  Looks like this great option didn't mae it into this release as expected ...

@Sansaido same for me on UK English version

@josh_bodner 

Environment friendly feedback - aka recycled since none of it has been done and is  blocking for a browser change

1. Google integration - No thanks. I value privacy - not Google profit

2. Fix the favorites icon - it's still the wrong one

3. Add these buttons to the favorites menu 

clipboard_image_0.png

3. prevent mouse button hijacking

4. Fix Epub

@josh_bodner 

Any chance to look at crashing when trying to download a file? I can't download anything except pdf and other small files. While trying to download larger .exe installer or similar my browser crash every time :\

Re edge chromium, can you look to integrate the Windows 10 back arrow function into the browser, to go back to the list page as per the current windows edge browser function?

@josh_bodner v79.0.279 switched my Bing/MSN new tab landing page to the Czech language, which is the locale for my physical location. However, I had it set to UK English and would like to keep it there.

The Bing search box is in Czech, but searching defaults to bing.com in English.

MSN news are in Czech only and cannot be switched back to English or any other locale.

The URL for the new tab landing page appears to still have locale=en-gb in it.

Yes, I miss this menu, I completely hope they will redesign the UI to make it like Windows 10 Edge.

@josh_bodner Still hoping you guys can fix the Escape key problem on Mac ;) 

@Sansaido @josh_bodner  Missing Autoplay settings here too. Glad to know I'm not losing my mind. Version 79.0.279.0 (Official build) dev (64-bit)

I am enjoying the collections feature. It's very handy for temporarily stashing things to come back to or things related to a current research topic. It might be handy to be able to control the initial "Collections" view -- full, titles only, titles and note only.

@josh_bodner I think these forums might be a little funky, too. Having this thread + Settings + "Welcome back!" triggered high CPU usage on this latest 79.0.279.0 dev build...completely out of the blue.

Closing the forum tab did nothing for ~30 seconds and then the CPU usage dropped back down to normal.

Screenshots taken ~30 seconds apart, reverse order:

21.8% CPU usage (two tabs)

2019-09-25_11-26-32.png

Forum page definitely...broken

2019-09-25_11-25-48.png

21.6% CPU usage

2019-09-25_11-24-58.png

40.5% CPU usage

2019-09-25_11-23-57.png

40.8% CPU usage 

2019-09-25_11-23-21.png

49.8% CPU usage

2019-09-25_11-22-42.png

It'd been at 80% usage before I heard the fans finally whir up.  A weird bug.; hopefully a one-off!

Version 79.0.279.0 (Official build) dev (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro x64 1803 (17134.1006)
i5-8600K / 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB

@josh_bodner 

Still no mention of having (as an option, if necessary)  middle-click (touchpad three-fingered tap) on a favorite leaving the favorites menu open. Can't use this (or any other) browser that does not have this, so only open each new Edge Canary and Dev build once simply to test if this has been included.

@Philippe Fretier @josh_bodner 

In our Public Sector environment, SSO is working for our onprem sharepoint environment.  However, when trying to leverage external pages with other Public Sector Agencies, when it tries to leverage ADFS for authentication it asks for userid/pass instead of passthrough for smartcard authentication, like it does in Edge and IE11. 

Feature Request: This feature request is highly needed for the Public Sector for Federal Agencies, which is the ability to digitally sign a pdf in Edge with a Smart Card. If the function was added to digitally sign a PDF with a Smart Card, many federal agencies wouldn't have to depend on the 3rd party application Adobe Reader for this one specific function and could fully leverage Edge for PDFs instead. @David Rubino @josh_bodner