Dev channel update to 78.0.276.2 is live

Microsoft

Hello insiders, today we’re releasing build 78.0.276.2 to the Dev Channel!  We expect this to be the final build for major version 78, so it’s got a lot of fixes in it.  Some of the most noteworthy changes include: 

New features:

• Added the ability to open all items in a Collection in new tabs.
  • Added dark theme support to edge://components.
  • Added a management policy for importing settings from another browser.

Stability fixes:

• Fixed an issue where Edge failed to update with error “failed to cache the downloaded installer”.
  • Fixed an issue where printing webpages failed because the print preview got stuck while loading.
  • Fixed an issue where dragging and dropping favorites on the favorites management page sometimes leads to a crash.
  • Fixed a crash when using InPrivate.
  • Fixed some crashes when rotating PDFs.
  • Fixed an issue where using keyboard shortcuts when popups are open sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Improved reliability when playing videos protected with DRM.
  • Fixed an issue where Application Guard sessions failed to start.
  • Fixed an issue where clicking webpage controls quickly sometimes crashes the page.
  • Fixed an issue where the browser sometimes crashes when the OS data collection level is changed.

Improved behavior:

• Fixed an issue where elements of certain web pages sometimes flip upside down when you switch tabs.  
  • Fixed an issue where browser UI like the video controls don’t disappear when watching videos on certain sites.
  • Fixed an issue where the top sites tiles on the new tab page display a different website than the one they actually link to.
  • Fixed an issue where translation doesn’t work on certain pages.
  • Fixed an issue where the “translating” message is not shown when a page is translated.
  • Fixed an issue where scrolling using the touchscreen sometimes doesn’t work on certain browser UI.
  • Fixed an issue where the button to close a tab isn’t the correct size or shape.
  • Fixed an issue where the links to apps on the browser’s Apps page open the app twice.
  • Fixed an issue where using shift + enter to start an installed website or app from the Apps page doesn’t work.
  • Fixed an issue where the eye icon to show passwords sometimes appears twice.
  • Improved Tracking Prevention performance when extensions like ad blockers are installed.
  • Fixed an issue where text pasted into a collection is sometimes the wrong color.
  • Fixed an issue where dragging and dropping items into a collection sometimes leads to images in the collection disappearing.
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where dragging and dropping an image into a collection sometimes saves a link instead of an image.
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where using the scrubber to move through a full-screen video doesn’t move the time properly.
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where some buttons don’t change state when the browser loses focus.
  • Fixed an issue in some locales where certain settings aren’t translated.
  • Fixed some unlocalized strings in the F12 Dev Tools.

Removed features:

• Fixed an issue where the webpage favicon and the loading spinner appear at the same time.
  • Temporarily disabled with a feature flag the cards with website info that appear when hovering over a tab.
  • Removed the ability to import favorites inside an Application Guard session.

As always, we appreciate all of your feedback and suggestions! 

50 Replies

@WolfIcefang  "it could start out full size, but cropped into a circle, then the circle could fill out into a square when it finishes loading."

And isn't that how it worked before? look at these gifs.

@josh_bodner wrote:

Removed features:

• Fixed an issue where the webpage favicon and the loading spinner appear at the same time.

This "bug" actually helps knowing which website is loading; especially when it comes to the scenario where a new website that someone visits for the first time loads for too long, which that "bug" actually helps that someone knowing that it is still loading. I live in a country that is known to have slow/bad internet, which that "bug" helped me a lot on that scenario, especially when it comes to going to sites from far-away countries for Scholar Research.

Please keep that "bug" and turn it into a feature because it fits the Modern look while being useful (especially to those having slow/bad internet connection) at the same time.

I also suggest it being an option to turn it on or off with the default being "on", just in case someone who disliked that feature wants to turn that "feature" off.

@RobRegal 

I am facing the same issue with favorites... have to switch back to chrome if it doesn't get fixed soon

@josh_bodner It would be cool if you could enable the site icon to rotate when the icon has loaded, but the rest of the page hasn't

@Deleted 

I agree. I was surprised, but like the effect.

@josh_bodner It's looking really good. I'm using the Beta branch as my daily driver and I've had no issues. Is there a roadmap currently to have this replace the existing Edge in Windows 10? I'd like to have some heads up so I can put together notifications and training for my users.

@josh_bodner 

Another one who really liked the "webpage favicon and the loading spinner appear at the same time" functionality and sad to see it go away...

There is a report that the code to hide current EdgeHTML Edge in favor of the new one has been found in the recent Windows Insider builds so I think it will happen.

@TanvirArjel 

A picture is worth a thousand words.  (This applies to all 3 Channels)

1k words.jpg

Cheers,
Drew

@Drew1903 

Looks perfect to me.  Quick Links are turned off, and the content is turned off, just like you have set.  The arrows are all correct.

@josh_bodner Seems like I would've liked that bug if I was a user of Microsoft Edge! The time when this update was released, I had Google Chrome and was visiting my relatives in India.