Dev channel update to 77.0.197.1 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we released build 77.0.197.1 to the Microsoft Edge Dev channel.  We’ve got some new features, many of which you’ve seen over the past week in Canary and have been eagerly waiting for in Dev.  We’ve also fixed quite a few reliability and behavior issues, the most significant of which include: 

New features and behavior: 

• Added an option to show only the icon for individual favorites on the favorites bar.
  • Added dark theme support for full page screens (Settings, History, etc.)
  • Added more languages that you can display Microsoft Edge in.
  • Added the ability to choose which categories of diagnostic data are sent with feedback.
  • Changed the ability to pin a website to the desktop into the ability to pin a website to the taskbar.
  • Separated the ability to import cards and payment info from certain browsers away from the option to import other autofill data like names and addresses.

Fixes for improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where navigating to a website that’s saved as a favorite by typing its address into the address bar crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where opening the DevTools in an InPrivate window sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where selecting an item from the address bar dropdown sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where signing out of the browser sometimes crashes it.
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to sign into the browser sometimes leaves it in a broken state.
  • Fixed a crash when using Read Aloud.
  • Fixed an issue where installation was sometimes failing.

Fixes for improved behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where some favorites on the favorites bar spontaneously lost their text.
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where videos on certain websites don’t cause the video controls to appear on the touch bar.
  • Fixed an issue where searching from the address bar doesn’t work with certain search providers.
  • Fixed an issue where certain context menu items were incorrectly appearing in some DevTools context menus.
  • Fixed some strings that weren’t translated.
  • Fixed an issue where the + button to open new tabs sometimes wasn’t the correct color.
  • Improved drag and drop responsiveness on the Favorites page.
  • Fixed some layout issues on the Extensions page when using certain localized builds.

For those of you who have been trying Microsoft Edge on Windows 7 or 8.1 over the past week, thank you!  And of course, thanks to everybody for being an insider and sending us all of your great feedback and suggestions!   

85 Replies

No, should be with both, no tricks.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Thank you Drew@Drew1903 . One more thing I would like to mention. What is confusing and frustrating  in these discussions is that people mix up the terms "Desktop" and "Start Menu" (Tiles in tablet mode). People start disagreeing with each other without realizing that one is talking about apples and the other about oranges!

@Jacques Van de Meerssche 

You're welcome. And, Jacques, you may have a point.  Certainly, a full-screen Start menu & the desktop are 2 VERY different things.

Maybe, you'll have a wee chuckle  at this... all this talk about this stuff, pinning, shortcuts, desktop icons (or not) ... then, the is 'other end' of the spectrum:

Hardly ever opening Start which, has NO tiles, using an Applications window which, has a Rt Clk  w/ Pin to start (the irony being anything in this window is, already, on Start) & a very small number of desktop icons not showing

SM.jpg
Interesting.jpg
Screenshot (3).png

The clock :one_o_clock: is highly customizable, btw. (Colour, size, position & more)

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@josh_bodner I am having problems logging into some pages using the Keeper Pwd manager for Canary on my Mac. It fills in the password, but as soon as I move my mouse, the password disappears.

Try the Google extension OneTab to keep all needed sites in one tab.

@Drew1903 I do indeed use full screen start menu with tiles. I have it set up in named groups. Here are some examples.
-The first group is the default "Life at a glance" group and it contains items such as Photos, Calendar, Contacts, Sticky Notes, Mail, Twitter, etc. Also I have an oversized live tile of the "Myradar" app there so that I can keep an eye on local weather.
-Next one is "U.S. News" with MSNews, CNN, USA Today and also shortcuts to some local news papers and local TV News.
-"International News" has BBC News, Le Monde and a variety of overseas news sources. An yes I am a news junkie.
-"Sports" has Nascar etc.
-"Tech" has MSPoweruser, Ars Technica, Motherboard, etc.
You get the idea. I have also groups named Retail (Amazon and so), Network& Diagnostics, Microsoft.
By nature these groups are a mixture of app live tiles and shortcuts since a lot of these sources do not have apps. In this way I do not have to go chasing the apps list for some items and favorites for others. Everything is easily accessible in one central location on my X360 touchscreen.
By the way, I gave some feedback on the popup that offers to translate the page every time when accessing an non English site. I would like a way to permanently dismiss it since I am multi lingual. Or at least dismiss it for certain languages. You would be able to tell it not to appear for certain languages like French, German etc. but still show up for Chinese lets say.

Sorry for the long post. Have a nice day.