Dev channel update to 77.0.197.1 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we released build 77.0.197.1 to the Microsoft Edge Dev channel.  We’ve got some new features, many of which you’ve seen over the past week in Canary and have been eagerly waiting for in Dev.  We’ve also fixed quite a few reliability and behavior issues, the most significant of which include: 

New features and behavior: 

• Added an option to show only the icon for individual favorites on the favorites bar.
  • Added dark theme support for full page screens (Settings, History, etc.)
  • Added more languages that you can display Microsoft Edge in.
  • Added the ability to choose which categories of diagnostic data are sent with feedback.
  • Changed the ability to pin a website to the desktop into the ability to pin a website to the taskbar.
  • Separated the ability to import cards and payment info from certain browsers away from the option to import other autofill data like names and addresses.

Fixes for improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where navigating to a website that’s saved as a favorite by typing its address into the address bar crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where opening the DevTools in an InPrivate window sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where selecting an item from the address bar dropdown sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where signing out of the browser sometimes crashes it.
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to sign into the browser sometimes leaves it in a broken state.
  • Fixed a crash when using Read Aloud.
  • Fixed an issue where installation was sometimes failing.

Fixes for improved behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where some favorites on the favorites bar spontaneously lost their text.
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where videos on certain websites don’t cause the video controls to appear on the touch bar.
  • Fixed an issue where searching from the address bar doesn’t work with certain search providers.
  • Fixed an issue where certain context menu items were incorrectly appearing in some DevTools context menus.
  • Fixed some strings that weren’t translated.
  • Fixed an issue where the + button to open new tabs sometimes wasn’t the correct color.
  • Improved drag and drop responsiveness on the Favorites page.
  • Fixed some layout issues on the Extensions page when using certain localized builds.

For those of you who have been trying Microsoft Edge on Windows 7 or 8.1 over the past week, thank you!  And of course, thanks to everybody for being an insider and sending us all of your great feedback and suggestions!   

85 Replies

@juan_gomez 

Juan, it should initiate either by Win+H or via the mic icon on the Touch keyboard. Try it using English (United States) US keyboard; although, should be ok with others. I'll it that others things are hearing your mic, I'm sure you've tested that successfully. I take it it's only within Edge C that you cannot dictate.  That is a hard to explain or imagine why, at least for my (wee) mind.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

I'm sure glad that _you_ don't have any issues. Also, reinstalling is one of the first things I've tried.

Anyway, I'm fairly certain that this sort of visual corruption isn't supposed to happen.

corruption.jpg

--edit: Easily accessible full-res link, because this forum software is annoying:

@PiecesOf8 while I was the one asking for an ability to pin the website to the taskbar, and I'm rather happy about its implementation (with one glitch yet -- the taskbar button is not protruding itself, when it's launched), but I didn't think it would be implemented in "Pin to Desktop" expense. I hope you guys will get it back with the next release. I hope both are going to be possible I the final version.

@Mantvydas 

Not likely to return; was not supposed to be there in the 1st place and they fixed their goof.  It has never existed, not in our browsers nor from Start nor from an Applications window.  And putting things all over the desktop has never been encouraged. It does, however, make good sense to, actually, pin things where they can, actually, be seen & easily accessed whilst working or doing things on that same desktop.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

I'm getting blurred view of inbuilt tradingview charts on certain sites 

@mgoldy 

If you haven't, already, be sure to report this to Feedback :)

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@josh_bodner   Great job!  This update fixed an issue with LastPass failing to log-in after multifactor identification (YubiKey in my case). Worked on both Win8.1 and Win10. 

I haven't used Edge Chromium for about a month because of that.  Thanks for the fix, I am back at it.

@Rahsna Asurac 

Still can't find:

Where is this setting? - Looked for it in Settings and the context menu of the favourite bar : EDIT: found it!

Could you be clearer how to locate "edit"

Thanks

@Reggy2325 

Sure! As far as I could tell, you meant this one:

"Added an option to show only the icon for individual favorites on the favorites bar."

1. Locate your favourites bar
  2. Bring up the context (right click) menu on any favourite that isn't a folder.
  3. From the top, select the the 5th option. (just below ✏Edit)

After that, the name of that favourite will be gone, and only the icon will be visible.

To revert the change, repeat the above steps on the same favourite's icon

@josh_bodner  Please Please Please bring back "Set aside tabs." Along with other unique features to the current Edge such as handwriting on pages, etc. As an IT Admin at an Enterprise firm, the Sets feature in particular was the biggest selling point for choosing Edge over other browsers. You simply cannot exclude it from the new Chromium Edge.

@josh_bodner wrote:

Hello Insiders!  Today we released build 77.0.197.1 to the Microsoft Edge Dev channel.  We’ve got some new features, many of which you’ve seen over the past week in Canary and have been eagerly waiting for in Dev.  We’ve also fixed quite a few reliability and behavior issues, the most significant of which include: 

• Added an option to show only the icon for individual favorites on the favorites bar.

@josh_bodner 

Great!   Now can we not also add this same option for the folders we have on the Favorites Bar as well to which I have many, many of them?

Dennis5mile

@AndrewGolubevI've got error often too!!! 

Same here. Some websites crash every few minutes.

Probably, something bad is happening with banners or background tracker scripts, because they don't crash if uBlock Origin is turned on.

@3OJIOTO 

Please, list or describe the frequent error you mention.  I have no errors, but, I am interested in your issue.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@PastorGL 

Please, list the sites that are crashing.  None I have opened have crashed. Curious to know which are giving you trouble.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@josh_bodner wrote:

For those of you who have been trying Microsoft Edge on Windows 7 or 8.1 over the past week, thank you!  And of course, thanks to everybody for being an insider and sending us all of your great feedback and suggestions!   

@josh_bodner 

Can we get the "folders" added to this "show icon only"

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile wrote:

@josh_bodner wrote:

@josh_bodner 

Can we get the "folders" added to this "show icon only"

Dennis5mile

Bumping  this Question...

Dennis5mile    @Dennis5mile 

@PiecesOf8 

All one has to do is drag-n-drop the URL from the address box to put a shortcut on the desktop. Possibly the idea, other than pinning, is to have 'special' sites kept as Favorites rather than storing shortcuts for things on a desktop.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@EdTheGuy 

Not necessary!  Just grab the URL by its padlock & drag it (creates a shortcut) to the desktop.  1 simple maneuver, DONE.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Jacques Van de Meerssche 

We think Pin to start will be added.

Just as an aside:
BTW, desktop is not, really, a storage place.  Having one loaded with icons is, not really necessary.  Shortcuts is an oxymoron.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg