Dev channel update to 77.0.197.1 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we released build 77.0.197.1 to the Microsoft Edge Dev channel.  We’ve got some new features, many of which you’ve seen over the past week in Canary and have been eagerly waiting for in Dev.  We’ve also fixed quite a few reliability and behavior issues, the most significant of which include: 

New features and behavior: 

• Added an option to show only the icon for individual favorites on the favorites bar.
  • Added dark theme support for full page screens (Settings, History, etc.)
  • Added more languages that you can display Microsoft Edge in.
  • Added the ability to choose which categories of diagnostic data are sent with feedback.
  • Changed the ability to pin a website to the desktop into the ability to pin a website to the taskbar.
  • Separated the ability to import cards and payment info from certain browsers away from the option to import other autofill data like names and addresses.

Fixes for improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where navigating to a website that’s saved as a favorite by typing its address into the address bar crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where opening the DevTools in an InPrivate window sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where selecting an item from the address bar dropdown sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where signing out of the browser sometimes crashes it.
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to sign into the browser sometimes leaves it in a broken state.
  • Fixed a crash when using Read Aloud.
  • Fixed an issue where installation was sometimes failing.

Fixes for improved behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where some favorites on the favorites bar spontaneously lost their text.
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where videos on certain websites don’t cause the video controls to appear on the touch bar.
  • Fixed an issue where searching from the address bar doesn’t work with certain search providers.
  • Fixed an issue where certain context menu items were incorrectly appearing in some DevTools context menus.
  • Fixed some strings that weren’t translated.
  • Fixed an issue where the + button to open new tabs sometimes wasn’t the correct color.
  • Improved drag and drop responsiveness on the Favorites page.
  • Fixed some layout issues on the Extensions page when using certain localized builds.

For those of you who have been trying Microsoft Edge on Windows 7 or 8.1 over the past week, thank you!  And of course, thanks to everybody for being an insider and sending us all of your great feedback and suggestions!   

85 Replies
You can still drag the addressbar to the desktop for shortcuts - do you get something different by pinning?

@josh_bodner 
Fine ,and thank you!
I'm still waiting for the possibility to use my Google Keep save app. 
Signing in does not work. I'm sure you know, and you told us earlier.

Otherwise fine

@Magalm Actually the extension with connectivity to google not work well on edge and it's normal since the use on chrome the google account linked to chrome.

I don't think it would be resolved by microsoft, but google is the one to contact (the must modify the extension to work outside of chrome i think).

@PiecesOf8 

You can always just drag a favorite to the desktop. Personally I never use this feature, but find the "Install this site as an app" feature to be  INCREDIBLY useful, because then you can pin it wherever you want...taskbar, start menu, desktop...and it runs as a separate app in the taskbar.

Have you tried using the Apps feature in the menu? You can pin a site as an app, and it will open that site in its own window, without the address bar, toolbars, etc.

"Pin this page to start" was always an option that is now missing though. @Drew1903 

@josh_bodner Actually i don't have the newtab and new inprivate tab on rightclick on the edge icon on the taskbar (on the canary one it appear, but not on the dev one), there is a trick to force it to appear ?

Thanks !

@Deleted I might be mistaken here, but MS DEV said that some Chrome extension does not work yet. Same platform - Chromium, isn't it?

@Deleted wrote:

@Magalm Actually the extension with connectivity to google not work well on edge and it's normal since the use on chrome the google account linked to chrome.

I don't think it would be resolved by microsoft, but google is the one to contact (the must modify the extension to work outside of chrome i think).

ALWAYS existed in chromium/chrome.
Added dark theme support for full page screens (Settings, History, etc.)
Need help here? Where is dark theme please? Not under History on my pc?
And it's ellipsis not epilsis guys.
Actually on the last dev and canary version they already have dark theme for these pages the only page without dark theme yet is the new tab page
Actually, so it is. Ta muchly.

@josh_bodner "For those of you who have been trying Microsoft Edge on Windows 7 or 8.1 over the past week, thank you!  And of course, thanks to everybody for being an insider and sending us all of your great feedback and suggestions!"   I'm using the Dev channel on Windows 8.1!

@josh_bodner Yeah all of that is cool, but can you fix the issue with the microphone not interacting with anything for the next update?

I've been trying to use some google services that required microphone, and it doesn't respond at all.

I hope you can get a solution, Thanks!

@josh_bodner 

There is another issue of frequently crashing extensions. I observed that this happens in other chromium projects, so I chose to try a workaround applied for the other browser. It didn't seem to work, so I think it is specific to Edge. Please take a look.

@lssatvik 

What or which extensions?

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Rahsna Asurac 

Oops, just my messing up with the flow of notes in here, sometimes (again).  :face_with_rolling_eyes:  & or who the OP is/was. :thinking_face:  Still, trying to pin down what the "it' was, LOL.  But, cool to know we were/are on the same wavelength, whatever the topic was 🤷‍:male_sign: LMAO. 

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@miwebguy 

"do you get something different by pinning?"

3 things:
1. You get the actual site. No need for shortcuts.
2. You don't get a shortcut on the desktop. :thumbs_up::thumbs_up:
3. You get proper, better, easier, more productive access
4. You don't get a shortcut on the desktop

NB: One works from the always visible taskbar. One's screen is not, really, a storage place. Nor does one want or need icons over pretty desktops; blessed be the Desktop toolbar for accessing what few desktop icons there may be (not showing).

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@josh_bodner any news on when the issues with lastpass plugin will be fixed (can't use MFA keys?)