Dev Channel update to 115.0.1880.1 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders! Today, we are releasing build 115.0.1880.1 to the Dev channel, which includes a variety of fixes and new features. For more details on the changes, check out the highlights below.  Two new YouTube videos about shopping.

Microsoft Edge l Make the best purchase decision with helpful AI tools - YouTube

Microsoft Edge l How will you shop and save with Edge? - YouTube

Added features:  

• History now has the option to display thumbnail images.
  • iOS:
    • Added Exit InPrivate mode button.
  • Android:
    • Added Save to album option to menu in Drop.

Improved reliability:  

• Fixed browser crash when allowing permission to Microphone access.
  • Fixed browser crash when clicking on Send feedback button on Sidebar.
  • macOS:
    • Fixed browser crash when playing video in full screen.

Changed behavior: 

• Re-added shortcut Ctrl + Shift + X for Web select.
  • Fixed PDF keeps opening last page even when PDF view settings for last viewed location is disabled.
  • Fixed certain websites not rendering correctly.
  • Android:
    • Fixed certain websites displaying something went wrong error message.
  • WebView2:
    • Fixed initializing the CoreWebView2Environment throws SystemArgumentException: The path is not of a legal form when using assembly merging (#3428)
    • Fixed CoreWebView2WebMessageReceivedEventArgs.AdditionalObjects throws a Microsoft.CSharp.RuntimeBinder.RuntimeBinderException exception (#3474)
  • Enterprise:
    • Fixed sharing PDF file not working after it is downloaded from SharePoint on iOS.
    • VisualSearchEnabled policy is now available for all platforms.

See an issue that you think might be a bug? Remember to send that directly through the in-app feedback by heading to the ... menu > Help and feedback > Send feedback and include diagnostics so the team can investigate. 

Thanks again for sending us feedback and helping us improve our Insider builds.

57 Replies

Something is very wrong, it crashes about ~10 seconds after launching. I can't even get to Send Feedback quickly enough to let you know why, or figure out what's causing it myself. Rolling back to 115.0.1866.1 immediately fixed whatever the issue is.

You all really don't make it easy to roll Edge back at all, do you? Had to install a Group Policy (single machine, no domain) that I doubt will actually work to prevent it from updating until the next version rolls around, and run the MSI from an elevated prompt...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/business/download?form=MA13FJ

abdelfattah_0-1685568475686.png

From an elevated command prompt or PowerShell window:

msiexec /I .\MicrosoftEdgeDevEnterpriseX64.msi ALLOWDOWNGRADE=1

abdelfattah_1-1685568406911.png

Now all is well.

"Now all is well"

No it isn't, lol

abdelfattah_0-1685568912466.png

New build 115.0.1880.1 downloaded and installed. Now Edge crashes about 10 sec after launching. I can't keep it running long enough to see why it's crashing. Rebooting didn't seem to help.
so small, but I like the rounded tabs better but the new update seemed to remove them

While it does not crash for me, it just does not render anything. All I am getting is a large completely black window with absolutely nothing inside and nothing clickable! Switching workspaces from the taskbar shortcuts does not do anything. No way to send feedback as well. Using stable until a fix is available.

Update: I tried a hard reinstall for both consumer and business versions, still facing the same issue.

same thing happening to me..how does a bug this bad make it to dev? le sigh.. BIG thank you @abdelfattah for the downgrade instructions!

Crashes on launch with me as well. 

No rounded tab corners, sad : (
Hey,
I've had the same issue upon updating. But you can re-enable it using edge://flags by searching for the "Rounded tabs" and changing the setting from default to enabled. Edge will prompt you to a restart and the appearance is applied automatically.

I hope this helps!

Same here, crashes to a completely black window and after some seconds it show a background wallpaper video (a video of Mount Fuji, this morning) with a black band on top.

Furthermore, Edge Dev "Uninstall" (via Windows/Settings/Add or remove programs) does not work. Nor does "Modify". And Edge Dev Uninstall via the Control Panel/Programs and Features does not work either.

Your rollback instructions are for the Edge Dev Business version. How can we roll back the Consumer version?

Same issue. Crashes within seconds
Just an FYI for others, if you uninstall it and reinstall it fresh it seems to run fine:

Microsoft Edge
Version 115.0.1880.1 (Official build) dev (64-bit)
Microsoft Edge is up to date.

Trouble is, Edge Dev "Uninstall" (via Windows/Settings/Add or remove programs) does not work. Nor does "Modify".

Furthermore, Edge Dev Uninstall via "Control Panel/Programs and Features" does not work either. It simply hangs, with the Edge Dev icon showing on the Taskbar and nothing else happening.

Just found the problem that makes the window completely blank, which is the flag "Enhance text contrast".
If you have this problem, you can create a shortcut and add ' --no-experiments' to the end of the path in the target field, and you can open Edge with no problem with the shortcut.
Afterwards, you can disable that "Enhance text contrast" flag from edge://flags/, and then everything should be back to normal now.

:crying_cat_face: That's annoying! The removal worked fine for me
Latest was crashing for me after a few seconds as well. Uninstall and reinstall seems to have fixed it.

@tonyzxcv Your workaround was helpful. Thank you.

Steps to apply the workaround:

1. Locate the Edge Dev app, via File Explorer.
  2. Create a shortcut to it, on the Desktop.
  3. Right-click the shortcut, select Properties.
  4. In Properties, go to Shortcut tab.
  5. At the end of the Target field, add " --no-experiments".
  6. Click OK button to close Properties.
  7. Open the Shortcut: Edge Dev will open normally.
  8. Go to edge://flags/#edge-enhance-text-contrast 
  9. Set this flag to "Disabled".
  10. Restart Edge Dev.

Create shortcut, and add --no-experiments to TargetCreate shortcut, and add --no-experiments to Target

edge://flags/#edge-enhance-text-contrastedge://flags/#edge-enhance-text-contrast

Yup, turning this off fixed it for me. I ran edge through the terminal with the '--no-experiments' flag and the UI came back, though my rounded tabs disappeared. No amount of fiddling seems to turn it back on. Turned off the Enhanced text contrast flag as well. Hoping for a permanent fix soon.