Dev channel update to 104.0.1293.1 is now live!

Microsoft

Hello insiders, we are releasing new builds to the Dev channel. We have added more improvements to old features, improved reliability, and changed the behavior of a few things this week. 

Today on the Microsoft Edge blog, we posted about debugging the web with the 3D View tool in DevTools. Last week, we announced some news for those of you who develop extensions. Now on to this week’s changes. 

Added features:   

• Mobile: Improved the loading time of Read Aloud  

Improved reliability:   

• Improved browser so that changing between light or dark theme is smoother 
  • Improved the logic for image enhancement. 

Changed behavior:   

• Mobile:

• Fixed the false upgrade alert under Settings > About Microsoft Edge 
    • Read Aloud button will now only show for websites that have the feature enabled  
  • Updated speech settings on reader mode for Android 

Thanks for helping us improve version 104, we could not do it without you. Stay tuned for new releases for version 105 next week! 

17 Replies
I don't understand why there are so few news and changes in recent weeks, if we believe the summary
I am sorry, we simply haven’t had a lot to talk about lately.

"Add option to always open favorites in new tab" has been planned for almost one year, when will it be released?

@LisaS 

Thanks for your updates here, Lisa, we appreciate that Microsoft provides this community. We also appreciate Edge as a browser, it is excellent.

About the Change Summary, I have a question. Could you clarify for us why a number of items (see below) show a "Planned" status, yet have been on that list for such a long time? Does that mean these are low on the priority list of Edge's developers? Or does it mean that implementing these is technically challenging? Or is there another reason for this long delay?

screenshot-001.jpg

@LisaS 

This build alas does not yet fix the issue of stuttering when scrolling in pdf-files. Only Edge Stable and Edge Beta have smooth scrolling in pdf, Edge Dev and Edge Canary stutter. Hope that this issue does not migrate from Edge Dev to Edge Beta when the latter gets an update next week.

> Improved browser so that changing between light or dark theme is smoother

It seems now that changing to dark theme no longer works at all :,)

Running Debian-based Linux with Microsoft Edge Version 104.0.1293.1 (Official build) dev (64-bit).

@LisaS Do you expect there will be updates regarding direction or progress for the items in the Microsoft Edge Community on the Feedback Portal?

Do you expect there will be updates regarding direction or progress for the items in the Microsoft Edge Community on the Feedback Portal?

@ms4132 Yes, however we are still collecting feedback about communications and engagement for the community's feedback items. Please check out our Top Feedback Summary for May to fill it out and let us know your thoughts if you haven't already! We are closing this on June 30th.

This build alas does not yet fix the issue of stuttering when scrolling in pdf-files. Only Edge Stable and Edge Beta have smooth scrolling in pdf, Edge Dev and Edge Canary stutter. Hope that this issue does not migrate from Edge Dev to Edge Beta when the latter gets an update next week.

@Paul_VC Please submit feedback through the browser using the Recreate my problem option. We cannot investigate without diagnostics, and providing it on the latest version of Dev will ensure we have the most recent diagnostics for your situation. Reply to this message once you have along with a snippet of what you put into the description (you can drop my name in there, too, for easier finding) and I can dig further in.

Could you clarify for us why a number of items (see below) show a "Planned" status, yet have been on that list for such a long time? Does that mean these are low on the priority list of Edge's developers? Or does it mean that implementing these is technically challenging? Or is there another reason for this long delay?

It just means that we do not have any updates at this time on when the item will be available. Updates will be provided on that page as we get them, and will be noted in the body of the post when changes do happen. Lisa doesn't help with our feedback posts (yet) and cannot speak to the items on here. If anyone has questions about it, keep an eye out on the next Top Feedback Summary (expected with next week's Beta update) to see anything new.

"Add option to always open favorites in new tab" has been planned for almost one year, when will it be released?

@kinmfer We will provide updates as we get them.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Missy Quarry (she/they)
Community Manager - Microsoft Edge
Join us on Twitter, or over on Reddit in r/MicrosoftEdge or r/edge

Same here, running Debian system

@MissyQ 

Thank you for your detailed feedback and suggestions.

Regarding the "scrolling through a pdf-file stutters in Edge Dev/Canary", here is the verbatim of the feedback I submitted via the Feedback-function in Edge Dev:

• "Scrolling through a PDF-file in Edge Dev (and Edge Canary) became far less smooth than in Edge Stable and Edge Beta. I tested this by scrolling the same PDF in all 4 browser versions on my Windows 11 pc. In Edge Stable and Beta, scrolling is smooth. In Edge Dev and Canary, scrolling stutters. This is true for PDF-files stored locally and PDF-files opened straight from the web. I also tested this in InPrivate windows, and also with all extensions disabled, to ensure that no extension caused this. Scroll stutter remained in both cases. (Note: I also reported this to Missy Quarry, @MissyQ, in the Microsoft Tech Community)."

Note: I also just evaluated if the "edge://flags/#smooth-scrolling" flag would have an impact. It does not. Scrolling stutters with this flag set to Default, Enabled or Disabled.

I have been using Canary for a while (years, actually) and it seems like this latest update is unstable. I have re-booted, repaired, and it still is hanging. I am on a Dell Precision 3800 running the Dev Channel version of Windows 11.

@Paul_VC  Thanks, friend! I found your feedback item. I see you made it possible for us to contact you via your submission, so thank you for that! We will likely communicate further there, but first I am going to escalate this to the team and see if they are aware of the situation. I know I had seen issues like this in the past, but this one seems new.

Side note on that flag: That was not intended for PDFs explicitly, so what you are seeing is expected. :3

Missy Quarry (she/they)
Community Manager - Microsoft Edge
Join us on Twitter, or over on Reddit in r/MicrosoftEdge or r/edge

Thanks, Missy, for the excellent support you provide here.
Same problem here, can't use the browser, si can't update !
It seems a bit more stable, now. Perhaps it has been updated recently.

Hi, I received an email from Microsoft, likely a response to my Edge Feedback message, that the "pdf stuttering scrolling" issue will be resolved in an upcoming release of Edge Dev. Is this indeed the case? Will it be in the next release, or a later one?

@LisaS is the sidebar removed? I can't see it neither in Canary nor in Dev for a while now.