Dev channel update to 102.0.1235.1 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 102.0.1235.1 to the Dev channel.  I know I mentioned last week that this will be the final build for the Dev channel for 102, but it’s looking like it won’t be, so be on the lookout for a build higher than 1235 soon.  As for what’s in this one: 

Added features: 

• Added a link to Tabs From Other Devices in the Tab Actions menu. 
  • Enabled support for a management policy from Chromium to control if the javascript engine behavior to Set Timeout Without 1 Ms Clamp is Enabled, which controls if calls to setTimeout() with a 0ms timeout are changed to have a 1ms timeout.  Note that updates to documentation and administrative templates may not have occurred yet. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where all tabs crash with an error code:  FACILITY_VISUALCPP/ERROR_PROC_NOT_FOUND. 
  • Fixed a crash on mobile when sending feedback. 
  • Fixed an issue where WebView2 apps crash when setting User Data Folder Access options (Issue 2363). 
  • Fixed a crash on Xbox when using Tab Search. 

Changed behavior: 

• Improved how many types of tabs can be put to sleep. 
  • Reduced the number of tabs that are discarded due to memory pressure in certain situations.   
  • Fixed an issue where Tab Search doesn’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue where printing and print preview sometimes doesn’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain search engines can’t be removed from Settings. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain languages aren’t available in Spell Check. 
  • Fixed an issue where IE mode sometimes can’t be enabled or configured. 
  • Fixed an issue in Application Guard windows where downloads are sometimes blocked when they shouldn’t. 
  • Fixed an issue where work/school results don’t appear in the search engine when searching from the address bar. 
  • Mobile: 
    • Fixed an issue where Top Sites can’t be edited because the edit button is too hard to hit. 
    • Fixed an issue where Read Aloud sometimes doesn’t highlight words that it should, or says words that it shouldn’t. 
    • Fixed an issue where the Read Aloud controls sometimes don’t appear in the notification shade. 

Known issues: 

• Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on YouTube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See this help article for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 

As always, thanks for all your feedback; we couldn’t do it without you! 

37 Replies
FYI - the CTRL-F search dialog is hard to use in dark mode. The up and down arrows, divider, and the cancel buttons are drawn in thin red lines, which nearly disappear against the dark grey background.
Is it safe to save websites in the reading list? Will it still be there when Dev updates next week? Please, please, tell me you guys are considering keeping the reading list in some capacity.

Please allow us to remove the side panel button from the toolbar as not only is it a completely useless and unnecessary feature as there is already a panel for Favourites (Ctrl+Shift+O), but it also causes visual issues in Settings if you have the sidebar also enabled (there are way too many side panel/bar features, it's a joke at this point). Not to mention the inconsistency in design compared to all the other panels.

At this point, this browser has gone from a simple, quite capable, and clean user experience to an excessive number of pointless features that cannot be turned off creating too many distractions on screen. Don’t get me wrong, some features that have been added are very welcome, but the sidebar, side panel, and bloated context menu with no form of customisation is ruining this browser.

Please consider what features are necessary for this browser to grow and stop adding useless and unnecessary features that the user has no control over.

Hello, do you still update the "Top Feedback Summary"?
So now we have "Favorites", "Collections" and "Reading List"? What is the difference between them?

For future releases you can also add "library" and "archive" with the same functionality but different buttons:smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:
I'm pretty sure this new sidebar with Reading List and duplicate favorites is a bug. it's a carryover from Chrome, which just added their own version of sidebar recently.
For the past 2 builds, the Tab Group auto Create (behind a flag), has stopped working. This happened a few months ago and it's back again.
The amount of bloat you keep baking into Edge is overwhelming. MS Rewards, this new Side Panel (and button that cannot be hidden), Alerts and Tips, Web Capture, Discover, Collections, etc.

You should modularize the architecture of Edge so that all of these things would be separately installable as add-ons so that people can really choose what functionalities they want. Google already realized this in Android years ago and started to separate built-in apps of Android to Play Store. Several years later Microsoft also realized this with Windows. Now it would be a perfect opportunity for you to do the same with Edge.

Please make it easier to add the currently viewed webpage to a Collection.

As it is now, it takes multiple steps to do so: click the ... menu, select Collections, select the collection you want to add the page to, and finally click the + icon to add the page to it.

A better way to do this could be: right-click the page's tab, select "Add page to collection", select the collection to add it to.

But that's how it is now. Well, not right-clicking on the tab, but right-click on the actual page content and add to collection is right there.

@josh_bodner Thanks for the fix on the New York Times cooking web site. I can again print recipies.

Jack Jordan

Thanks for this tip. This was not obvious to me, apparently. And maybe not to some other users either.

Would be great if this would work via right-click on the tab as well. Especially since "Add all tabs to Collections" is already available that way. So, adding "Add this tab to Collections" there too should be an easy decision to implement, I guess (I hope).

I want to take the time to say I wholeheartedly agree with nuzzadog. The major issue with the side panel button is that it cannot be removed. I wouldn't have cared if it were turned on but could have been removed from the toolbar. The button has redundant functionality, as nuzzadog pointed out, and low utility (at least for me).

I don't use the reading list, and can see my favorites already on the toolbar (or if they're hidden, by using Ctrl+Shift+B).

@josh_bodner There is still an issue that appeared in the prior build regarding red-colored text on 3rd party extensions as well as the ctrl+f search box. Also, as others have said, the ability to disable the "Show side panel" button NEEDS to be added. 

officialmitchellwarren_0-1651067962940.png

officialmitchellwarren_1-1651067985025.png

@josh_bodner yesterday i did note that I am not able to log into my account in Linux. I am using Elementary OS (based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS) with Edge Beta. Tried the DEV channel and the same error occurs. When log into my account to Sync favorites and other stuff the browser close in unexpected way.

@nuzzadog 

To disable the sidebar, search settings for "sidebar" there's an option to turn it off.

I think he is referring to the button in the menu which toggles the reading list / favorites, not the 'sidebar' with the apps.
Hi Josh, still no luck with trying this release, just black window instead of browser, same like in 102.0.1224.0-1 and 102.0.1227.0-1 . I'm on Debian Linux unstable (Sid), with KDE/Plasma 5.24, intel graphics
Who is running this show anymore?

We have a Side Panel, A Sidebar, An Apps Panel (that doesn't seem to show up for anyone), and completely unrelated Favorites and History Sidebars.

This is complete redundancy and confusion. <sigh>