Dev channel update to 102.0.1217.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 102.0.1217.0 to the Dev channel.  In case you missed it, we also made a blog post about improvements we’ve made to help more tabs go to sleep.  You can read all about it here:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2022/04/07/sleeping-tabs-edge-100-improvements/.  As for everything else that’s new and exciting this week: 

Added features: 

• Added a button to the toolbar for Web Select. 
  • Added a management policy to control if All Http Auth Schemes are Allowed For Origins, which controls the list of origins that allow all HTTP Authentication schemes.  Updates to documentation and administrative templates may not have occurred yet. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed a crash on launch. 
  • Fixed a crash when navigating to certain websites. 
  • Fixed a crash when downloading certain items. 
  • Fixed a crash when opening popups like the Downloads menu in Guest windows. 
  • Fixed a crash on Mac when interacting with Tab Groups. 
  • Mobile: 
    • Fixed an issue where using InPrivate tabs sometimes crashes the browser. 
    • Fixed a crash when navigating to certain websites. 
  • Fixed a crash in WebView2 applications when viewing Office documents. 

Changed behavior: 

• Improved autofill when performing travel-related tasks. 
  • Fixed an issue where Sleeping Tabs settings are missing on some devices. 
  • Fixed an issue where the IE mode site list is erased after updating the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where payment cards can’t be manually added in Settings. 
  • Fixed an issue where Spellcheck sometimes can’t be enabled. 
  • Fixed an issue where pages sometimes flash red when loading. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain borders are pink. 
  • Fixed a blank popup. 
  • Fixed an issue where autofill popups sometimes suggest the same entry multiple times. 
  • Fixed an issue where the option to hide the Smart Explore buttons sometimes doesn’t work.
  • Mobile:   
    • Fixed an issue where PDFs can’t be opened. 
    • Fixed an issue where editing a Collection sometimes causes images in it to disappear. 
    • Fixed an issue where the button to add the current page to favorites is missing. 
    • Fixed an issue where passwords sometimes aren’t autofilled. 
    • Fixed an issue where the new tab page feed doesn’t work in landscape mode. 
  • Fixed an issue with WebView2 apps where zoom levels are sometimes inadvertently reset. 
  • Disabled Web Capture in IE mode tabs because it’s not functional. 

Known issues: 

• Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on YouTube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See this help article for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 

Thanks for getting us to version 102!  If you’re a Beta user, also be on the lookout for version 101 there! 

11 Replies
Hello John, thank you for this report and all the effort behind the scenes.
A simple question that could be of some help for all, here.
Don't understand why a so useful and "open-source" live captioning multilingual site/app can't be loaded but in Chrome..
Talking about https://webcaptioner.com/captioner
I must manage daily news in several languages, and I do have to use Canary Chrome to work with it.
A part some classic tricks and workarounds, I do not have the time to dedicate time, during these tough times here in the old world, could you please (time permitting) what is missing in Edge to make it work?

Grateful

Stefania

@josh_bodner On one of my PCs, the toggle to show the Apps icon on the toolbar is missing.
Settings>Customize toolbar>Select which buttons to show on the toolbar>Apps

benpal_0-1649545543967.png

There is no "fly-out" (like for Collections) either. 

@josh_bodner 

Spell check download for most languages still broken in Dev 102.0.1217.0 and Canary 102.0.120.0 on Windows 10 (20H2 in my case). Started when switching from version 100 to 101.

Web capture_10-4-2022_18156_settings.jpeg

Are there any updates on this?

Thanks and best regards

If you click around on that popup, you'll eventually get to an article explaining why it's not available yet and how to try out our potentially-working in-progress implementation: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/web-speech-api-support/m-p/1104645
If you go to edge://apps/, there should be a toggle for the Apps button there.
We just made a potential fix for this yesterday, so by next week's Dev, we'll have a good idea if the fix was successful or not!

@josh_bodner Is that the button you are referring to?

On one of my PCs the Apps page looks like this: Button missing

benpal_0-1649929721147.png

On my other PC,  it looks like this: Button present

APPS 1.png

@josh_bodner

Yes, as far as I see on my machines the fix for the spell check dictionary download works with Dev 102.0.1220.1 and Canary 102.0.1226.0. 

Wow, thanks for the great work, rly appreciate that!

What version of Edge is on both of those machines? Is there any difference between them?
In the meantime, both PCs are on build 102.0.1220.1. The divergence persists. I haven't set any flags and on I have installed the same extension on both PCs.

@josh_bodner 

I installed the latest build of Edge Canary

Version 102.0.1227.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

for verification. The same problem on this one PC: the button to enable the Apps icon in the toolbar is missing.

benpal_0-1650451829627.png