Dev channel update to 100.0.1181.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 100.0.1181.0 to the Dev channel.  Can you believe it, we’re already at the end of version 100, give or take a small patch or two, which means we’re also almost ready for version 99 to hit Stable.  Because of that, we’ve got a video update on all the new things in the F12 Dev Tools in version 98:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpaRDwU_AZI.  We also have an overview of all the work we plan to do in the web compatibility space in 2022:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2022/03/03/microsoft-edge-and-interop-2022/.  The rest of this week’s changes include: 

Added features: 

• Enabled by default the ability to create a custom Primary Password for use with autofill. Note that this feature also completed its gradual rollout last week. 
  • Management policies (note that updates to documentation and administrative templates may not have occurred yet): 
    • Added a policy to Control if the Default State Of the Allow Extension From Other Stores Setting is Enabled. 
    • Added a policy to control if the ability to Hide the Restore Dialog is Enabled, which hides the “Restore pages” dialog that appears after the browser crashes or closes unexpectedly. 
    • Enabled support for a policy from Chromium to Prompt On Multiple Matching Certificates, which is functionally identical to the existing Edge policy to Force Certificate Prompts On Multiple Matches. 
    • Enabled support for policies from Chromium to control input devices like keyboards and game controllers:  Default Web Hid Guard Setting, which controls if websites are allowed to ask for access to devices; Web Hid Ask For Urls, which is the list of sites allowed to ask for access to devices; and Web Hid Blocked For Urls, which is the list of sites not allowed to ask for access to devices. 
  • Added the ability to hide trending searches on mobile. 
  • Added an API to WebView2 to customize context menus by listening to the Context Menu Requested event and inserting items via the Create Context Menu Item method, as well as obtaining information about the type of item that was right-clicked.  Note that this API was previously in the “Experimental” status. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed a crash on launch on Mac. 
  • Fixed a crash when downloading certain types of files. 
  • Fixed a crash on versions of Windows older than 10 when downloading files. 
  • Fixed a crash when closing the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where deleting text while a Text Prediction is showing sometimes crashes the tab.    
  • Mobile:
    • Fixed a crash when visiting certain websites. 
    • Fixed a crash when changing new tab page settings. 
    • Fixed a crash when using Shopping features. 
  • Fixed a crash in WebView2 applications when viewing them in fullscreen (Issue 2082). 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where clicking on the volume icon to mute tabs that are playing media doesn’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Tracking Prevention switch on the InPrivate new tab page doesn’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Find on Page index resets if another tab is switched to and back. 
  • Fixed an issue where Find on Page says it returns 0 matches, but it actually does find matches and highlights them on the page. 
  • Fixed an issue where Application Guard windows sometimes can’t navigate and show a “Can’t reach this page” error. 
  • Fixed an issue where Spellcheck sometimes suggests synonyms for the wrong words in its suggestion list. 
  • Fixed an issue where Sharing sometimes fails or misses content when sharing from a PWA. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain parts of the History menu crash or appear blank. 
  • Fixed an issue where the keyboard shortcut to open the F12 Dev Tools console doesn’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue where clicking on a desktop notification sometimes opens a blank new tab instead of a tab to the website the notification was sent from. 
  • Fixed an issue where text labels on extension buttons are cut off or unreadable in PWA windows. 
  • Improved messaging when tabs fail to load due to management policy. 
  • Management policies: 
    • Fixed an issue where the policies to control what sites are able to access file:// URLs don’t work when the file names contain spaces. 
    • Fixed an issue where the policies to control what sites are able to access file:// URLs sometimes open the wrong folder then the link is to a folder.  
    • Fixed an issue where the management policy to control if Microsoft Edge Insider Promotion is Enabled doesn’t work. 
    • Renamed the policy to control if Transparent Ad Providers are Enabled into “Ads Transparency Enabled”. 
  • Mobile: 
    • Fixed an issue where viewing a page in desktop mode sometimes doesn’t work. 
    • Fixed an issue where Guided Switch sometimes doesn’t work. 
    • Fixed an issue where Read Aloud sometimes plays in multiple tabs simultaneously. 
    • Fixed an issue where Read Aloud stops unexpectedly while the app is in the background and is then brought back into the foreground. 
    • Fixed an issue where certain new tab page settings buttons don’t work. 
    • Fixed an issue where a dialog showing that ads are blocked appears too frequently. 
    • Fixed an issue where certain dialogs don’t get closed when they should be. 
    • Fixed an issue where the list of accounts available when signing into the browser sometimes is missing some of them. 
    • Fixed an issue where the management policy to disable saving passwords sometimes doesn’t work. 
  • Developer: 
    • Fixed an issue with WebView2 apps where certain keyboard shortcuts break window focus (Issue 1225). 
    • Fixed an issue in WebView2 apps where the touch keyboard sometimes doesn’t appear when it should (Issue 1887). 

Known issues: 

• Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on YouTube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See this help article for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 

Another version is in the books, and we couldn’t do it without you! 

24 Replies

@josh_bodner Any fixes for the problems with the mini menu and Ctrl+C?

The last couple Android canary releases are completely broken on the Surface DUO and DUO 2. Crashes immediately. Looks like that code made its way to this Android dev version as the same behavior now occurs.

@josh_bodner Dev has picked up the bug in canary that DoH doesn't work if you make a change.  The DoH setting after update was set to the previous value but after changing it, it will always revert to no DoH provider being selected.  For example, I set the value as below

rshupak_0-1646348589954.png

Then I switch to another settings page and back again and I now see the following

rshupak_1-1646348648671.png

This has been broken in canary for over a week.  It may have been broken in dev last week too but I never changed the setting.

Still unable to choose a provider under "Use secure DNS to specify how to lookup the network address for websites"
It will not save if I pick one from the menu.
Also, is there ever going to be a fix for desktop notifications such as Reddit?
No so much about the browser, bu the Finnish caption on the "change summary" button at the end of the translated text needs fixing. I assume the original text was "CHANGE SUMMARY". In Finnish it now says "MUUTA YHTEENVETOA", which in some sense is a word for word translation, but the actual meaning is imperative, "Change the summary!". A correct caption would be either "MUUTOSYHTEENVETO" or "YHTEENVETO MUUTOKSISTA". Another example of how you cannot localize software just by translating words or phrases in the UI in isolation. You have to consider the context.

When I nowadays need to open all the links of a collection in the toolbar item Collections, I'm forced to go into the collection and find a menu item 'Open all' behind the button that's located next to the button 'Add note'. Previously, everything I needed to do was to click the toolbar item Collections and right-click a item in the main list to choose the item 'Open all' without having to go inside the collection at first. Now, the usage of the Collections isn't that smooth anymore. No good.

@josh_bodner You missed a bug. It comes with unwanted nagware

barbbowman_0-1646400374504.png

@josh_bodner 

I am unable to print Amazon return codes with this release. Selecting Print results in "This page is having a problem" Error code STATUS_BREAKPOINT

I believe that means some code is raising a breakpoint exception or invokes the DebugBreak API.

DNS over HTTPS settings still don't stick in Version 100.0.1185.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit). Can this at least be acknowledged as a known issue?
I have also reported this through the "Submit Feedback" option, but the Windows Admin Center pages appear incomplete/broken when viewed in 100.0.1181.0.

It displays correctly from 99.0.1150.36.
I've started getting redirect notices - "The page you were on is trying to send you to..."

Is this something new? It does it on everything I click and it's rather infuriating.

@josh_bodner blog summary cards are missing text ?

davidbell_0-1646940945772.png

That one I can fix myself, and just did. Thanks for pointing it out!
Internally, we treat that the same as a crash, which means it should show up on the edge://crashes page. Can you see if it does, and if so, what its ID is?
We've got a bug tracking this internally, the devs just hadn't had time to fix it in time for this Dev release. We're definitely aware of it though!
Could you see if this still happens in the latest Canary update, or once we release this week's Dev, in there?
It's there, it's just white! We've got a bug with the dark mode pages specifically, since they're using white text like most dark theme pages, but we just happen to have a white background on those tiles. We're working on getting it fixed!

@josh_bodner 

Hi Josh,
It is still a problem in version 100.0.1189.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit).

Here is a screenshot from canary:

MattPeterson_0-1646949208936.png

It feels like maybe a CSS bug, as when I resize the screen I get different pieces of the UI coming into view that were previously hidden.

I've also verified with another coworker that they see the same issue with the latest dev and canary builds.

Thanks!

Only crash listed was from Jan. Cleared that and re-created the problem but no crash entry.