Dev channel update to 100.0.1163.1 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 100.0.1163.1 to the Dev Channel.  In the community this week, we were wondering if you were aware of our Youtube channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIGx7oT8p6-jUpOfg98yelA/videos.  In case it’s been a while since you’ve been there, you may want to catch up on our latest videos, which showcase how to set up IE mode:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2o0x9-0urE, and give an overview of what’s new for the F12 Dev Tools in Edge 97:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbDLtE0a_yQ

Also, in case you missed it last week, please consider taking our regularly-scheduled survey here to tell us how we’re doing in our engagement with you and how we can do better:  https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2187016. As for what’s new in the product this week: 

Added features: 

• Enabled by default the ability to search through open tabs. 
  • Enabled by default Image Auto Captioning in Accessibility Settings. 
  • Enabled by default the availability of the Discover pane.  Note that certain entry points into the Discover pane are not yet enabled. 
  • Mobile:  Enabled by default Scrolling Screenshot functionality on Android. 
  • Developer:  Added an API to WebView2 to listen for PermissionRequested events from any iframe in a page.  Note that updates to documentation and SDKs may not have occurred yet. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed a crash when using text prediction. 
  • Fixed a crash when showing Spellcheck correction popups. 
  • Fixed a crash when logging into certain websites. 
  • Fixed a crash after using the Edge Bar. 
  • Fixed a crash when closing the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where tabs sometimes crash on versions of Windows prior to 10. 
  • Mobile: 
    • Fixed a crash when using Read Aloud. 
    • Fixed a crash on Android 12. 
    • Fixed a crash when navigating to certain websites. 
    • Fixed a crash when viewing Cookie information. 
  • Developer: 
    • Fixed a crash in WebView2 applications (Issue 2130). 
    • Fixed a crash with WebView2 applications when certain programs are installed on the device (Issue 1882). 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where built-in themes don’t work and instead just display white. 
  • Fixed an issue where the mini context menu sometimes prevents keyboard shortcuts from copying or cutting selected text. 
  • Fixed an issue where the progress ring around the Downloads toolbar icon doesn’t appear when a download is in progress. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain tooltips get stuck onscreen. 
  • Fixed an issue where the browser sometimes won’t close. 
  • Fixed an issue where the context menu option to save a webpage is missing. 
  • Fixed an issue where dragging and dropping pinned tabs sometimes doesn’t work with vertical tabs. 
  • Fixed an issue where context menus sometimes appear at the wrong location. 
  • Fixed an issue where Spellcheck correction cards sometimes don’t appear when they should. 
  • Fixed an issue where Camera selection in Site Permission Settings sometimes fails to find the device’s camera. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain Settings pages on Linux go blank. 
  • Fixed an issue where changing what format of Citation to use sometimes crashes Collections. 
  • Fixed an issue where clicking on desktop notifications sometimes does nothing when the browser is closed or when the website that sent the notification is already open in another tab. 
  • Fixed an issue in IE mode tabs where the initial HWND size is incorrect. 
  • Fixed an issue where Edge prompts for updates on Xbox when it shouldn’t since Edge updates are handled by the OS on Xbox. 
  • Mobile:  Fixed an issue where changing saved passwords sometimes fails. 
  • Developer:  Fixed an issue with WebView2 applications where back/forward navigations sometimes don’t work as expected (Issue 1492). 
  • Enterprise:  Obsoleted the management policy to Allow Sync XHR In Page Dismissal, which lets webpages send synchronous XHR requests during page dismissal. 

Known issues: 

• Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on YouTube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See this help article for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 

As always, it’s your consistent feedback that keeps us going; we couldn’t do it without you! 

20 Replies
Nice updates but I hope you will update the tab search function. It just uses Chrome design isn't really matching with Edge's design. Also would be cool to activate it via up right corner of the screen with an arrow like we do on Chrome. Center of the screen isn't feels really convenient.
Just updated and the crash with the Bitwarden extension has been resolved!
Is "Fixed an issue where the mini context menu sometimes prevents keyboard shortcuts from copying or cutting selected text. " the issue I have been complaining about for a while now? I'll have to try regardless.
Just tried this after removing all the exception sites. First thing I noticed is that triple click to select is still broken most of the time. And when triple click works, immediately typing Ctrl+C to copy often does not. The previous clipboard contents remain. The same is true of double click immediately followed by Ctrl+C. I'm testing this on "Version 100.0.1166.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)"
After playing some more, I suspect that most of my reports that Ctrl+C didn't work with the mini-menu enabled have been a double or triple click immediately followed by Ctrl+C. I paid attention and noticed that this is a very common usage pattern for me. WHatever fixes went into the build did not fix my problem.
Edge canary for android has not worked at all since the last update which is over a week old. The browser cannot be opened anymore, and the battery consumption is extremely high, while the browser is not usable. Problem on tablet and phone, and understand that since there hasn't been an update for a while, I had to install the stable version temporarily. As the browser does not work, impossible to send comments via the dedicated tool in the app! Do you think you can solve this problem, because it is VERY disabling every day! Thank you
* Fixed an issue where built-in themes don’t work and instead just display white.

Thank you! I have a purple theme installed and it was really bugging me that my vertical tabs had changed to white.

* Fixed an issue where the mini context menu sometimes prevents keyboard shortcuts from copying or cutting selected text.

Like rshupak, this still does not seem to work for me in any predictable manner. I've had to turn the mini-context-menu off again.

Thank you for fixing the rendering of Jira ticket pages (not mentioned in the changelist so perhaps that's only in Canary?)

p.s. The Discover panel and the "helpful" sidebar are awful, as far as I'm concerned, so I'm glad they can be disabled. They're both just clutter and noise.
Can we please get an update on the vertical tabs Fitts' law issue? Discussion is here https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/vertical-tabs-should-be-consistent-with-fitts-law...

@josh_bodner Good, this version again starts on my Linux box (Fedora 35 XFCE) without crashing. However, the default start page does not come up. Just keeps waiting in "New tab". Some messages printed to terminal if started with a command:

fedora:.../Desktop$ microsoft-edge-dev
[2545:2545:0217/074009.176307:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(377)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.
[2413:2413:0217/074034.058424:ERROR:network_service_instance_impl.cc(1001)] Network service crashed, restarting service.
[2413:2413:0217/074034.105534:ERROR:smartscreen_dns_resolver.cc(103)] SmartScreenDnsResolver::OnComplete Error: -2 DidTimeOut: 0 URL: https://ntp.msn.com/edge/ntp?locale=en-GB&title=New%20tab&dsp=1&sp=Bing&startpage=1&PC=U531

Opening the tech community page added:

2413:2413:0217/074621.582839:ERROR:interface_endpoint_client.cc(659)] Message 6 rejected by interface blink.mojom.WidgetHost

@rshupak from a technical standpoint, the fix is that when the mini menu is fully onscreen, keyboard stroke will no longer close it or be passed into it, but instead passed to the underlying webpage so it can handle it the way it normally would when text is highlighted.  

Since you say that you're immediately hitting the keyboard shortcut, I suspect you're hitting it during that animation where the menu appears, and that the fix may not apply during that animation.  If you don't immediately hit the keyboard but instead wait a little bit, is it any better?  

@Tio_Dep We just published a new Canary build yesterday, is it any better?  We've been tracking quite a few crashes in Canary and haven't been pushing new builds because of them, although obviously we already published a build with at least one crash.  

I just tried again on today's new build and it's still pretty much impossible to triple-click and select a paragraph of text -- I think the menu is popping up too quickly? I can select a word with a double-click but I have to click repeatedly to defeat the mini menu until I manage to get that third click in before the popup gets in the way.

@josh_bodner First, the menu also interferes with double and triple click.  Assuming these work, Ctrl+C appears to work if I wait.  I specifically waited until I saw the menu appears.  Typically the menu will immediately disappear but sometimes it remains and disappears as soon as the control key down.

I want to stress that double click and triple click are seriously broken when the menu is not disabled.  They work 100% when the menu is disabled.

I should be clear that the scenario of double/triple click working, as it sometimes does with the menu enabled, will then have a problem with the Ctrl+C itself. I regularly see the text I want selected but not copied.
Yes, since the last update it works. Battery consumption has also dropped, but is still not ideal. let's wait for the continuation... Thank you

@Metin_Hsnv I am on mac and only see the search if I use shortcut. Is there a visual icon like in Chrome (an arrow down on menu)  that can be used as well?

Is there a way to use tab search functionality other than using shortcut on mac? Do we have a similar drop-down icon as chrome?
"Use secure DNS to specify how to lookup the network address for websites"
Not working any more.. I choose a service provider, then leave the page and go back to that setting and its back to "Use current service provider"
Not able to sync Custom Info, only Basic Info is synced. Will that be added in a future update?