Dev channel build 77.0.218.4 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we released build 77.0.218.4 to the Microsoft Edge Developer channel.  We’ve got some new features, many of which you’ve seen over the past week in Canary and have been eagerly waiting for in Dev.  Additionally, we have now turned on several new languages on the insider website and added an Enterprise page with offline installer and policy samples.  We’ve also fixed quite a few reliability and behavior issues, the most significant of which include: 

New features and behavior: 

• Added more strings to the translation work
  • Prevent IE-Mode in Application Guard containers
  • Ability to set text size and background theme in Reading View is now under flag.
  • Ability to use dark mode on downlevel Windows versions 7, 8 & 8.1
  • Search box now clears content with Esc or “x” button

Fixes for improved reliability: 

• Fixed a crash on Extensions page.
  • Fixed a crash in API keys
  • Fixed a crash while opening PDFs
  • Fix crash in Sync service
  • Fix crash due to cached call in renderer
  • Fix deadlock in Windows, where Microsoft Edge blocks shutdown.
  • Fix crash in JSON parser

Fixes for improved behavior:

• Fix preventing URL redirection in Application Guard.
  • Fix to prevent creation of database until needed (performance)
  • Subpage headers display the number of search results.
  • Fix to close Profile UI on sign-in
  • Dev Tools support using OS theme color on Windows 10
  • Fix color contrast for selected favorites
  • Fixed Copy / Paste keyboard shortcuts on macOS
  • Fix for z-order on history page
  • Fixed transparency issue on First Run Experience
  • Strengthened launching logic for PDF to specified file names and paths
  • Fix to show FavIcons in Favorites management page.
  • Fix for account removal in Identity
  • Fix for sign-in where account pop-up was not topmost window.
  • Fix for data imports from Chrome and Edge during First Run experience.
50 Replies

@tojtojka I know favorite folders are landscaped and favorites are portrait but i agree with would be nice if folders were a different color.

The visual corruption issues I kept having, especially when using video or browsing compositing heavy sites, disappeared with the last dev build (211) and are still gone with this one. Whatever happened, glad it did! Thanks.

As much as I hated those yellow folders at first, I kind of want them back now. The current ones (outline icon) simply don't look good.

@Deleted @Elliot Kirk 

I'll be more blunt.  Whose silly idea are these ridiculous looking outlines?:exclamation_mark::thumbs_down: Put back the proper looking, almost realistic looking approach that WAS there:exclamation_mark:  Stop trying to improve what doesn't need mucking about with it.  If it ain't broke don't fix it.  There is heaps that does need to be done.  Don't spend time or effort on things that are fine 'as is". These outlines look SO dumb, geeeesh :face_with_rolling_eyes:

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 

Lol :>The Folder icon is an interesting thing… I mean, All of the other icons in newEdge are outline style - such as the feedback, all of the icons in the main menu area, and the “no icon” page icon. However, the folder icon is located among all of the icons for other websites, so it seems out of place - so here’s my problem. If it is a filled-in, yellow icon, then it doesn’t fit with the rest of the iconography of the browser, but if it is an outline, it doesn’t really fit in with the icons of all of the other webpages. So maybe there needs to be a different solution… However, the color of the icons right now probably doesn’t need to be crazy priority as the final UI does not seem to be a really big focus right now as the developers are still working on support for other features (such as sync). We’ll see what happens, but for now i’m just glad the favorites is not just a long list of text.

When will the browser launch fully and become the real EDGE or will it just stay in dev stage?

Some of us reckon It may well be pushed out with 1909. Certainly, do not / would not expect it before that. But, it is replacing, current, Edge; will not be just betas forever.

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from my Windows Phone

Please try to add the video pop-out feature like in Opera Browser, it is really a very convenient feature@Elliot Kirk 

I absolutely DISAGREE!! It is much more difficult to differentiate between links and folders. Please, please KEEP the yellow folders or at least make it an option

@Simon Raihani 

I know some people (because humans hate change) have a hard time to accept & live with things that are a little different than the past.  But, much as people sometimes hate hearing it said, that is what we must do sometimes.  Sometimes we have to take things and live with them whether they are how we think they should be or not.  Then, it's a matter of run with because it is what it is OR run with it begrudgingly because it is what it is.  

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 

Drew I read your comment and find it condesending mate, some of us are not able to accept change for accessability reasons. Constantly changing this just because it looks pretty or stop people from using something that they have got used to is a harrowing consept for some, I have Malacular Degeneration and am slowly going blind, I paid good money to buy Windows 10 Pro, times 5 and Office 365. through PC World.  Even the slightest change to an operating system is hard to accept but we do try to adapt ie changing things to make them cosmetically nice without warning, and then make it very hard to get it back the way you wanted it in the first place, it should be left to the customer to decide we should have the right to say through an option within the software, whether we want to change the look of it or not, not be told thats the way it has to be.

I woke up one morning and Microsoft had changed my desktop layout through an update and I spent hours on the phone just trying to get help to get my desktop back to some form of normality because all the colours were completely changed, no would you like to download this update it just did it itself.

But the fact is with Microsoft you do not get a choice even though we are the customer, its their way or the highway, we do not even have the choice anymore, of being able to not download updates. We must do it, we can defer them, but we are still forced to download them. Thankfully there are other operating systems out there and I for one am looking now to switch to another, all because my choice has been taken away from me.