Dev channel (78.0.249.1) update left Edge in broken state

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone, 

I installed the 78.0.249.1 update this morning and now Edge no longer works. All tabs fail to load, extensions all crash, and the settings and other screens also fail to load. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail. After this happened, I installed the beta channel and everything works as expected there. Has anyone else ran into this or know of a possible fix? I don't see anything in the Event Viewer that mentions Edge when these issues occur.

6 Replies
Having the same problem with mine this morning. I moved over to the Beta browser 77.0.249.1 without issue.

Just updated - DEV 78.0.249.1 - zero problems.

Important - I don't use any extensions.

Considering you mentioned that your extensions are crashing - probably one of them is not crashing completely, but kills proper workflow.

Try removing them.

@imahitori That's not a bad thought, but I can't even get that far. Opening up any screen in Edge results in an error.

clipboard_image_0.png

Same happened to me. Unable to get to settings to disable extensions...any suggestions?

@JSabel I haven't been able to find a resolution yet. I've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. I'm hoping the next update helps things out.

@imahitori @JSabel This thread seems to describe the problem well and offers a few potential solutions. https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Dev-channel-update-to-78-0-249-1-is-live/m-p/8295...

Specifically, for me, it seems that Symantec is the likely culprit. Unfortunately, I'm on a corporate PC, so there isn't much I can to do resolve that issue, since I don't have any control over the version of Symantec Endpoint Protection we're running.