Dev Build 80.0.334.4 - This page is having a problem

Copper Contributor

I've seen this before with v79 builds and was due to a clash with Semantic Endpoint Protection (SEP) affecting Chromium.  The workaround was to add this switch to the shortcut:

-–disable-features=RendererCodeIntegrity

Now seeing this issue again with the latest Dev build so wondering if this is another SEP related issue.  The switch no longer works so this seems to be a new issue.  I've not seen any other reports of this so posting here to see if this is affecting anyone else.

As before I can't open any web pages, about, settings, and the feedback button doesn't function.

3 Replies
Hi,
you can follow the guide here
https://textslashplain.com/2019/09/27/aw-snap-every-tab-crashes/

to make sure the problem is in fact a conflict with symantec: edge://conflicts/

@HotCakeX Thanks for the reply.  The edge://conflicts/ will not load either with the same "This page is having a problem" error.  SEP is 14.2 and I can't see anything obvious in the Event Logs given on that page.

I'm using the Beta build (79.0.309.30) to post without the "-–disable-features=RendererCodeIntegrity" switch so this appears to be limited to the latest Dev build which was also working until I re-started to install the latest update.

I expect when the Beta build moves forward to the v80 branch that this will also become affected by the same issue which is the same as the previous time this issue arose.

Google chrome got around this problem by disabling code integrity altogether for their browser.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/google/chrome-78-disables-code-integrity-check-to-mitigate-aw-...

I don't think it's a good decision, they should collaborate with symantec to find a solution.

if your computer is personal and not in work environment, you can remove symantec and use Windows Defender instead until this problem is solved, that is if you want to keep using non-stable versions of Edge browser, maybe and hopefully things will be fixed after july 15th 2020 when first stable comes out, that will still be version 79 though. so by the time stable channels reaches version 80, Microsoft and symantec will probably have solved this issue.