SOLVED

description for autoplay blocking in settings page

MVP

Annotation 2019-09-23 224601.png

"Allow" and "Limit" both have the same description. "Block" has a different one.

"Limit" and "Allow" should have distinct descriptions.

right now the user can't know the difference between what "Allow" and "Limit" does in action.

18 Replies

Hi @HotCakeX, thank you for the feedback.  I have reached out to the team that owns this and have begun the conversation.  On one hand, the current version of Microsoft Edge doesn't provide help strings, and we haven't heard much negative feedback, but on the other, it makes it much more clear what the different options do.  Thank you again for the suggestion.

best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

Official Explanation:

You can choose from two options which restrict whether video and audio can play automatically. If you choose Limit, media will autoplay based on how you’ve used media on that site in the past. If you choose Block, all sites will be blocked from playing media automatically.

source: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Top-feedback-summary-for-September-24/m-p/873008

@HotCakeX 

I don't see Media Autoplay in the Settings list. Has it moved?

media autoplay is not showing up on site permissions. I am running Version 79.0.279.0 (Official build) dev (64-bit).
Yes it's currently only available on Canary and only for a select group. because of A/B testing..
thx....appreciate the quick response.

@HotCakeX, what happened to block for media autoplay?  Can anyone from Microsoft explain why block has gone away as the choices are now allow and limit.  I'd love to see block be there as I'd set and recommend that be set for people.  It is so annoying to land on a page and have a video auto-start.

Adding @Elliot Kirk@josh_bodner, and @David Rubino to this conversation as I'm curious to know why block vanished?!

@Jeffrey Allen 

@Jeffrey Allen wrote:

@HotCakeX, what happened to block for media autoplay?  Can anyone from Microsoft explain why block has gone away as the choices are now allow and limit.  I'd love to see block be there as I'd set and recommend that be set for people.  It is so annoying to land on a page and have a video auto-start.

Hi, it's not gone, it's just behind a flag.

this happened 3 or 4 months ago..

you can bring it back by going to: edge://flags/

and enable this flag:

Show block option in autoplay settings

If enabled, block will appear as an option in media autoplay settings. – Mac, Windows

#edge-autoplay-user-setting-block-option

@HotCakeX, thanks I had it before and it went away.  I did just test on two pages and the videos are still auto playing even with block chosen.  :sad:

Yes it's still experimental hence they put under the flags :)
the only way I found so far that it works is by manually pasting a page with video in Edge.
so for example, copy a YouTube video URL, close/reopen Edge and paste it into the address bar, the video should be blocked from auto playing, at least that's what I'm experiencing on Edge canary

@HotCakeX, I've tried manually pasting.  Manually typing, even clearing out cached settings etc and I have about a dozen sites that I have just tested that auto-play no matter what I try and do it's very annoying including YouTube.

You're using Canary too?

@HotCakeX, I use the Dev version for primary and have tested this on Stable as well.

Well, Stable is way too old, it still on version 80 right? today or tomorrow it should go to 81 since chrome 81 was released already.
on Canary i can confirm it's working right now.
Version 83.0.478.1 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

@HotCakeX, I understand Stable is behind which is why I use Dev daily as it is more current but Canary I found too unstable.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

Official Explanation:

You can choose from two options which restrict whether video and audio can play automatically. If you choose Limit, media will autoplay based on how you’ve used media on that site in the past. If you choose Block, all sites will be blocked from playing media automatically.

source: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Top-feedback-summary-for-September-24/m-p/873008

View solution in original post