Dark GTK+ theme on Microsoft Edge Dev 91.0.831.1 for Linux

Copper Contributor

If the GTK + theme is dark (like the attached screenshot below), the contents will not be dark and some icons are still black instead of white. What should I do?

Operating System: KDE neon 5.21
Kernel Version: 5.4.0-70-generic
OS Type: 64-bit
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 7.5 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 520

4 Replies

I encourage you to file a detailed Feedback report so that the Edge-Linux team can understand, evaluate and correct, as needed.

But I am not sure that I understand what is wrong.

I checked to see how your screenshot compared to my results under different conditions, and I found that the Edge UI is consistent (and seemingly identical to your screenshot in all material respects) across Windows 10, Solus Budgie, Solus Plasma, Zorin 16 Beta, and Ubuntu 20.10, all set to dark or system default mode/theme.

In each case, the content is displayed against a white background, bars and menus are displayed against a dark background, and various icons are displayed either as white or grey. It looks to me as if the Edge defaults are standard across platforms. I suspect that this is intended.

I checked Firefox, too, in all the platforms, with identical results, just to see if Firefox behaved differently. It seems Firefox also defaults to a standard UI across platforms.

Within the confines/limitations of each platform (some offering more options than others) the Edge-Linux UI appearance can be changed by adopting different themes under Settings>Appearance, but I have not explored that option.  I use default settings.

@tomscharbach I think he might want the color theme to follow the system (like System Default under Windows, but not available on Linux)

@tomscharbach you don't need to compare other OS / distros, you can reproduce this on any single Linux distro..

Look again at the screenshot. The browser UI (the tabs and toolbar) are dark. However the settings page is in Light mode. This is how Edge behaves with the GTK theme enabled in the browser and dark mode enabled in the OS.

Try this yourself. Now select the 'Dark' theme in settings. The settings page itself switches to white text on a dark background. Have a play with other websites that support auto-dark mode (e.g. Github.com). With the dark theme is selected in Edge, these pages switch to a matching dark theme. When the theme in Edge is GTK dark, they do not.

Currently there is no way to have auto light/dark theme switching in Edge on Linux, while it works fine on Windows and Mac OS. One must either manually switch between light and dark themes, or put up with the halfway house that is the GTK theme.

Perhaps it is coming and will filter through eventually...

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=998903