Ctrl+Tab cycles through tabs in recently used order

Brass Contributor

I hope to see an option under settings  to select -"Ctrl+Tab cycles through tabs in recently used order"

clipboard_image_0.png

as seen in Firefox an IE11

18 Replies

@a500313 Thanks for sending your feedback about using CTRL+Tab to cycle through tabs in recently used order.  I will forward it to the developer team.  

Eric E.

This is the only reason I currently use Firefox as my main development browser. So far only Firefox and opera has this. It would be a great feature for developer & I would consider using Edge as the main development browser if this is implemented.

For me must have. This is why I didn't used the previous Edge version. Without this feature browsing internet when you have lots of tabs and you do some research is really difficult.

@irmanahmad I also use Firefox for this reason!

@Eric_MS Is there anything new with this? Is it still under consideration or decided it won't be added ever?

please implement it, is just few lines of code ... i hope dev teams see this
Yeah. Thats keeping me from using Edge as my default browser. Don't know why it's not implemented yet. Many Chromium based browsers offer this option.
Any updates on regarding this feature? Is there any plugins that can solve the problem?

There's surely a reason that MS has had z-ordered windows via ALT-TAB since about 1991 - it works & people like it. It's just weird that Edge has no option for this with tabs - I do understand that it exposes them as top-level windows so using ALT-TAB gets the effect, but doing that seems wrong to me: I don't want my overall apps list cluttered with two dozen tabs. Keep that under the browser with CTRL-TAB switching, just add an option for the ordering.

It's been 3 years and they couldn't add this basic feature.

@a500313 

They still haven't implemented it. I love edge especially because of the vertical tabs and overall look and feel, also it's fast but only because of this I am still on Firefox
Probably this some kind of legal problem. Maybe this feature is patented? Would be nice to know the reason of ignoring this.
I hope Microsoft add this feature ... I will make it my default browser.
In the meantime, I suggest using the extension "QuicKey – The quick tab switcher". Go into the QuicKey options and make sure "Switch Instantly between the two most recent tabs" is set to ctrl + tab. I've been using it for while.

@theadinthe extension works pretty well.  Not ideal, and that's why I still use Firefox and Opera, but it's okay.  Why can't they just fix this?  As a developer, I often have to switch between admin and public sides of the web site, and it's awful with Edge. 

I couldn't agree more. 🤷‍:male_sign:
This appears to be one of those things that Microsoft has decided to "make a stand" on for some reason. Apparently they're less concerned about making their product useful than in "making a statement". I mean, it's been what, FOUR YEARS now, and they still haven't "Gotten it".

MANY of the other browsers have. And those are the browsers who actually listen to their users. Firefox, Opera, Vivaldi, and I'd wager several others all use "Last Used" order so users can switch back and forth between two or three tabs they're working in.

And then MS wonders why nobody uses their browser. To be sure, there's a lot of good things in Edge. But when basic functionality is ignored, it makes it tedious to use them, and smart users just go elsewhere.
They ignore it for the same reason they ignore so many other user-requested basic functions which others have long since implemented.

Lily Tomlin used to have a bit that summed it up nicely. "We don't care, we don't have to... We're the phone company!" Or in this case, "We don't care, we don't have to... We're Microsoft!"