SOLVED

Create shortcut on desktop

Brass Contributor

Is it still possible to add another feature to Edge Chromium?

I would love to be able to do like in IE11 where you right click on text in a web page and choose Create a Shortcut and it creates a shortcut to that web page on your Desktop.

I use this all the time and is the only reason I've enabled IE Mode in Edge Chromium.

26 Replies

Hi @SmlBizAdmin 

Yes you can do it on Edge insider too,

the name is changed but the end result is the same.

press the ellipsis menu button at the top-right corner of the browser,

Annotation 2019-11-07 201448.png

doing this will add a shortcut of that website to your desktop and start menu. from there you can also pin it to the taskbar too if you want to.

@HotCakeX 

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't want a bunch of apps filling up my Programs and Features list. I just tried it and while it did add the desktop shortcut, when I uninstalled the app the shortcut got removed.

So for me that is not really a suitable substitute. I don't care how the feature is accessed or what it's called but I only want to create a shortcut to the website on my desktop, not install several unwanted apps.

It's not an app. how can it be an app? Edge insider can't create application from websites.
like I said the name is different but the behavior is the same. the app list is just a simple list that keeps track of your shortcuts, nothing else.
best response confirmed by SmlBizAdmin (Brass Contributor)
Solution

clipboard_image_0.png

If you drag from the circle area to the desktop, you create a shortcut to the url. This is what you need?

@SmlBizAdmin 

I just saw the option you say in IE11.

It is an interesting feature.

@ppnachoYes that's it!!! Thank you VERY much for your clear and brilliant suggestion! :smile:

@SmlBizAdmin 

when I do that I only get this, no icon, nothing

1.png

Annotation 2019-11-08 081504.png

Tried it in:

Edge insider Canary Version 80.0.327.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

Google Chrome Canary Version 80.0.3962.2 (Official Build) canary (64-bit)

Google Chrome stable Version 78.0.3904.97 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Same here, no icons using this method @HotCakeX 

Oh thanks thought it was only me

@HotCakeX 

That is a problem, so I opened this thread:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Url-shortcut-icon-cache/m-p/993665

Sometimes he puts an icon and sometimes not.

Me with https://pastebin.com/ if that puts an icon

But with https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/bd-p/EdgeInsiderDiscussions does not put an icon.

I will continue investigating ...

thank you very much!!

You're welcome,
for me pastebin also doesn't have Icons on desktop,
I try with Google chrome Canary and Edge insider canary

@HotCakeXThe response for me provided by @ppnacho works on 2 difference computers with both Dev and Beta versions.

Alright good for you, doesn't work for me and as he said it doesn't always work for him either.

Create the shortcuts on the desktop correctly.

The problem is that these shortcuts are not assigned the web icon. But the shortcut works correctly.

Until a few days ago, he had several shortcuts with his icons but since Edge updated his new logo the vast majority disappeared (I don't know if this would have anything to do with it).

It is not a big problem ... but a small nuisance.

Hopefully find a solution.

-------------------------------
(Spanish)

Crea los accesos directos en el escritorio de forma correcta.

El problema es que a estos accesos directos no les asigna el icono de la web. Pero el acceso directo funciona correctamente.

Hasta hace unos dias, tenia varios accesos directos con sus iconos pero desde que Edge actualizo su nuevo logo desaparecieron la gran mayoria (no se si esto tendra algo que ver).

No es un gran problema ... pero si una pequeña molestia.

Esperemos encontrar una soluccion.

Well I guess having the icons on the shortcuts is the whole point, otherwise if you didn't want Icons,  you could do it using Windows built in features

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

Untitled1.gif

@HotCakeX 

Thanks for your contribution!

Follow that path, it is the same as dragging the link from edge to the desktop. And with the same final result, no icon.

I think it shouldn't be an Edge problem, but rather a windows problem and its icon management.

If you create a shortcut with the Edge, it doesn't generate an icon. But if you open the same URL with IE11 and do the same, dragging to the desktop BUT WITHOUT RELEASE, the icon created by the Edge is automatically updated (as shown in the video).

That's why I think it's a problem more than windows than Edge.

Greetings

------------------------------
(Spanish)

Gracias por tu aportacion!

Seguir ese camino, es el mismo que arrastrar el enlace desde edge al escritorio. Y con el mismo resultado final, sin icono.

Pienso que no debe de ser un problema de Edge, sino mas bien un problema de windows y su gestion de iconos.

Si creas un acceso directo con el Edge, no te genera un icono. Pero si la misma url la abres con el IE11 y haces lo mismo, arrastrando al escritorio PERO SIN SOLTAR, automaticamente se actualiza el icono creado por el Edge (como se muestra en el video).

Por eso creo que es un problema mas de windows que de Edge.

Un saludo

You didn't say this before in your answer.

but anyway, that's in Windows 7.
In Windows 10, Internet explorer is disabled by default, and there is no point in installing it just for this purpose.

pinning websites as an app (which is not an app but it's just the same) is the most suitable option for Windows 10 users.

I have Internet Explorer on my Windows 10 laptop and I tried @ppnacho's method and it works. Still I prefer the "Apps" feature in the new Edge.

@HotCakeX 

I made the video in a virtual machine of windows 7. But the same thing happens with windows 10.

If I didn't say anything before ... it was because I didn't know until I tried it.

@HotCakeX, I really appreciate all your contributions and all your participation in this forum, no doubt with the intention of helping others ... but sometimes you offer people "alternatives" that is not what they are looking for. I think that in this forum, we comment on the things we like about IE11, the old edge or even other browsers and that we would like to keep on the new edge. There will be many obsolete things that for many will not be worth anything but that for others are essential. It is as if we have been crossing a bridge from home to work for 20 years and suddenly they put a wall in the middle of the bridge that does not allow us to pass. If the alternative is to take a bridge 1 km below because I do not like it, I prefer to remove the wall. If in the end they do not remove the wall, I will hold on and I will have to take the other bridge, but at least I will try to say that blocking the bridge with a wall is not a good idea and that there are many people who use it. I think this is the purpose of this forum. That said, I thank you again for all your good intentions to help people in this forum.

There may be people who don't care about the shortcut icons but I don't care. And I imagine there will be more people who think like me. I only comment on this forum, in case those responsible for the development of edge have any suggestions or can transfer this incident to whoever corresponds.

Anyway, I feel if my words are not correct, but that is what I think.

Thanks again to all for your help and comments.

Greetings

P.D: My native language is Spanish from Spain. I'm not good at English and I use the google translator. That is why I almost always put the text I write in Spanish in case the translation does not correspond faithfully with what I want to express.

--------------------------

(Spanish)

He realizado el video en una maquina virtual de windows 7. Pero ocurre lo mismo con windows 10.

Si antes no dije nada ... fue porque no lo sabia hasta que lo probe.

@HotCakeX, agradezco mucho todos tus aportes y toda tu participacion en este foro, sin duda con la intencion de ayudar a los demas ... pero en ocasiones le ofreces a la gente "alternativas" que no es lo que buscan. Creo que en este foro, comentamos las cosas que nos gustan del IE11, del edge viejo o incluso de otros navegadores y que nos gustaria mantener en el nuevo edge. Habra muchas cosas obsoletas que para muchos no valdran nada pero que para otros son esenciales. Es como si llevamos 20 años cruzando por un puente de casa al trabajo y de repente le ponen un muro en mitad del puente que no nos permite pasar. Si la alternativa es coger un puente 1 km mas abajo pues no me gusta, prefiero que retiren el muro. Si al final no retiran el muro me aguantare y tendre que coger el otro puente, pero al menos intentare decir que bloquear el puente con un muro no es una buena idea y que hay mucha gente que lo usa. Creo que esta es la finalidad de este foro. Dicho esto, vuelco a agradecerte todas tus buenas intenciones de ayudar a la gente en este foro.

Puede que haya gente a la que le da igual los iconos de los accesos directos pero a mi no me da igual. E imagino que habra mas gente que piensa como yo. Solo lo comento en este foro, por si los reponsables de desarrollo de edge tienen alguna sugerencia o puenden trasladar esta incidencia a quien corresponda.

En fin, siento si mis palabras no son correctas, pero es lo que pienso.

Gracias de nuevo a todos por vuestra ayuda y comentarios.

Un saludo

P.D: Mi idioma nativo es el español de España. El ingles no se me da nada bien y utilizo el traductor de google. Por eso casi siempre pongo el texto que escribo en español por si la traduccion no se corresponde fielmente con lo que quiero expresar.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by SmlBizAdmin (Brass Contributor)
Solution

clipboard_image_0.png

If you drag from the circle area to the desktop, you create a shortcut to the url. This is what you need?

View solution in original post