Collections is the exact opposite of 'set aside tabs'

Steel Contributor
Set aside tabs works on all tabs while collections is meant to work on individual tabs.

Collections requires that you manually add individual items, with several clicks. In contrast, set aside tabs works automatically - only one click required.

Set aside tabs is transient in nature compared to collections - which is more permanent relatively and requires manual deletion.

And then there is the restoring mechanism in set aside tabs where all tabs are restored at once and simultaneously, whereas you can 'restore' only one collection at a time.

'Restoration' of collections naturally requires more clicks, and also leaves the collections bar on one side of screen open.

It is as different as it gets and therefore, can not be considered as an alternative or a substitute even. A reconciliation and unification of the functionalities of these two is not possible since they have fundamentally different use cases.

4 Replies

Totally agreed. Collections is more like a replacement for the reading list or favorites. It has got nothing in common to Set Aside Tabs.

Set Aside tabs just needed a single click to temporarily store our Tabs when we wanted to start on something new. 

Collections: first click multiple times to add the tabs to collection, then click multiple times to close the tabs, then click multiple times for opening tabs - it's totally different and time-consuming.

What the Edge team needs to realise is that people liked the Set Aside tabs feature in Edge legacy because it saved a lot of time. So, while Collections is a great feature in itself, it isn't what can be called a replacement or alternative to Set Aside Tabs.

Both have different use cases and I wish Microsoft would incorporate both of these into the browser..

I also think that Microsoft could simply add a Set Aside button that adds all open tabs to a New Collection and also automatically closes these tabs, if adding the original Set Aside Tabs feature is too much of a burden or something.

I also request popular community members like @HotCakeX to reply to this post in order to bring Microsoft's attention to this.

Regarding Collections, you are 50% right, 50%wrong

1.click multiple times to add-- Right click on the tab gives you the option to add all opened tabs to collections
2.close tabs multiple times-- I agree with this(But, you can create a new window and delete the existing window to solve this)
3.click multiple times to open--I partly agree with this, Click on the collections menu which is on the top, then click on the the three dots, open all, that's it.

Any objections? Please comment below

Not convinced? Try this, it works nearly the same(Just two more clicks), https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/addons/detail/tabs-aside/kmnblllmalkiapkfknnlpobmjjdnlhnd
I understand what you say, yet it isn't as smooth as the Set Aside tabs. You need to right click on a tab, and then in the long context menu, you need to find the option to close the tabs or to add them to a collection. Though, I agree, I might have exaggerated the number of clicks required, it still is worse that the Set Aside Tabs with regard to ease of use, time-taken and number of clicks
What about the extension??