SOLVED

Collections Feature Request: Adding Multiple Tabs To Existing Collection

Copper Contributor

Hi everybody,

I really like Collections and the ability to organize them. I believe there could be a more efficient way to add multiple tabs to an existing Collection.

Task/Problem to solve/What I want to do

I have multiple tabs open researching something and I move in a different direction than I thought or planned. I want to close multiple tabs but wanna save them for later and I already have a Collection about the topic and therefore want to add those tabs to this existing Collection.

How I'd like to do it

I wanna send the tab from the tab bar to the Collection. I can think of two solutions that could work for me:

1) Let me drag a tab into an open Collection.

2) Give me a way to select multiple tabs, preferably with a checkbox, and the send via context menu to an existing Collection. Similar to the option "send tab to another window" (sorry if it is a slightly different option, I'm using the German version). Alternatively, the Collection could be open and I drag all the selected tabs to the Collection.

Why, you ask?

First, it isn't convenient to always move between the tab bar and the Collections pop-out. Secondly, it isn't efficient. And lastly, the miles I put on my arm, wrist, mouse and desktop are just too much ;)

To end on a happy note, I really enjoy working with the new Edge!

Stay healthy!!!

7 Replies
best response confirmed by U-P_W77 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@U-P_W77 I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying MS Edge and thanks for the great suggestion!

Our Collections team actually just added the ability to add all open tabs to a new Collections by right-clicking on a tab. (We recently announced this feature on our What's New page.) I recognize that this doesn't yet allow you to add tabs to an existing Collection, but please give it a try and let us know what you think so far! 

And I think our Collections team would love to hear this specific request, so feel free to submit detailed feedback through the browser. (That way they can keep all of the feedback together in one place.)

fawkes_0-1586819179474.png

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

Hi @Deleted, thank you for your response!

Yeah, I read about the feature on the What's new page. It's a welcomed addition!

Thanks for the pointer to the feedback button! Actually, I perceived it solely as a bug reporting tool since it asks for a screenshot and the diagnostics. Perhaps add a dropdown or something for feature requests and/or general usability feedback? Just my 2 ct.

I'll send my original feedback via the feedback button also.

Have a good one, U.-P.

@U-P_W77 Sure thing, we're happy to help.

That's an interesting perspective, thanks for sharing! We recently switched from the "smiley" icon to the new feedback icon, so I wonder if that might have affected the general understanding of its purposes.

Fawkes (they/them)

Oh yes I totally agree. So many people saying they miss the "Set tabs aside" feature, but actually collections are far better and its THE perfect feature for browsing.

I see this as the final problem of this feature. That if you have open more than few tabs adding them into an existing collection is a little inconvenient and what I sometimes do is to open all tabs from the existing collection and make a new collection with the new feature. That however is not ideal. So if you could add some way of adding multiple tabs into existing collection that would be perfect.

Dropdown checkbox of pages in current Edge window, within the collection window instead of the "+ Add current page" button would be very nice. And way similar of "Move tabs to another window" would be equally great.

Two more tiny issues for me are, that it would be very cool if there could be a dedicated button, perhaps next to the collections button which would put all tabs into new collection. I know its only one more click, but still. Would be nicer.

And the third thing I miss is multi-level (honestly think two-level would be enough) organizing of collection. That I would definitely use. If I could make group of collections and then have few collections in it (as it is with notebook in Onenote). To give an example for this. I am shopping for some bike parts. It would be cool If I could make Group of collections named Bike and within I would have collections like Saddles, Handlebars, etc. 

Best Regards.

I think this is a must feature. The existing collections is useful, but to be able to add multiple tabs to an existing collection would make it exponentially useful. I request dev team to consider this.

@msft Yes this is a must have!  And generally, better manageability of collections (dragging in/out tabs/windows into a collection to add everything (not open!), drag pages between collections, etc.  They're sort of awkward to work with and seems that they could be integrated well with the long lost Set Aside feature (wish it was still around!). 

Pardon me, but I am astounded that there is NOT a feature to add ALL SELECTED tabs -- not ALL tabs -- to a Collection. It's one of those features that would have / should have been included in the original conception of Collections. But I forget myself -- Would you PLEASE add the feature to Edge?

Thanks for all the great work and the fine product.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by U-P_W77 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@U-P_W77 I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying MS Edge and thanks for the great suggestion!

Our Collections team actually just added the ability to add all open tabs to a new Collections by right-clicking on a tab. (We recently announced this feature on our What's New page.) I recognize that this doesn't yet allow you to add tabs to an existing Collection, but please give it a try and let us know what you think so far! 

And I think our Collections team would love to hear this specific request, so feel free to submit detailed feedback through the browser. (That way they can keep all of the feedback together in one place.)

fawkes_0-1586819179474.png

Fawkes (they/them)

View solution in original post