Chromium GPU blacklist prevents accelerated Video

Iron Contributor

EdgeHTML/Spartan utilises the iGPU for video playback.

EdgeChromium does not and falls back to software. This causes lag, slower performance, bad video etc.

Chromium has a pretty big problem with the lack of utilisation of GPU acceleration for quite a few mobile devices with switchable graphics . i.e. iGPU (Intel HD 3000/4xxx) + dGPU (ATI/AMD 5xxx /6xxx etc).

Chromium keeps a "blacklist" of a lot of devices and automatically switches GPU acceleration off. "Enabling the override software rendering list" via edge://flags does not make a difference.

Whilst Chromium does indeed see that a switchable graphics solution is being used it however is not able to utilise the dGPU at all and does not stress the iGPU whilst playing videos. via edge://gpu

If reports are needed I would be happy to assist.

2 Replies

@VonCrisp - Thanks for the feedback. Could you please attach the output from edge://gpu on the system where you're hitting this issue? If your GPU is blacklisted, then enabling the edge://flags/#ignore-gpu-denylist feature should allow hardware acceleration to be utilized.

I've filed an internal bug to track the other aspect of your feedback (utilizing the dGPU for video decode / processing when the iGPU is blacklisted).

@isuru-c-p 

Thank you for coming back to me and opening a ticket!

I have run a few tests, edge://gpu results for:

edge___gpu.html - ignore-gpu-denylist disabled

edge___gpu.html - ignore-gpu-denylist enabled

edgeChromium ignore-gpu-denylist enabled.jpg

Causes livestream playback to corrupt.

Also doesn't utilise the iGPU or dGPU (via task manager)

edgeHTML GPU being utilised.jpg

showing EdgeHTML to be utilising the iGPU (via task manager)

edge___gpu ANGLE OpenGL crash upon livestream.html

ANGLE set to OpenGL out of curiosity for this test.

Causes dGPU to show up in GL_RENDERER as opposed to iGPU.

Causes Windows to BSOD upon running the livestream.

If I can help with more data I would be more than happy!

Device: HP Envy 17 2xxx. Intel HD 3000 iGPU and AT 6850m. 

Windows 1809. Latest WU drivers for both devices.