SOLVED

Chrome extensions warning

Iron Contributor

Why is there a warning message in the chrome web store to

Google recommends switching to Chrome to use extensions securely.
14 Replies
best response confirmed by QueenNini (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Because google is incompetent and dirty, question is, what Microsoft is going to do about google's bad behavior, because it is misleading users that are not tech savvy.

@HotCakeX  This tug of war is crazy and I'm not for it.  Too many companies want to monopolize, even though the products and service are not up to par. 

So true

@QueenNini 

Update:

Google removes banner dissuading Edge users from running Chrome extensions.

@HotCakeX  It's a sigh of relief, now onto adding themes from the chrome store

Good luck :)
The stated explanation behind the original warning was that Chrome didn't realize that MSEdge maintained the ability to revoke extensions later discovered to be malicious. They didn't realize this because MSEdge does not hit Google's SafeBrowsing service for revocation information, but instead queries Microsoft's servers, which cache revocation information retrieved directly from SafeBrowsing.
Thank you very much for the info, it's good to know the reason behind it.

@Eric_Lawrence 

by the way, this came to my mind to ask, was showing this banner the only way Google had to solve this problem? couldn't they talk to Microsoft internally instead of showing that banner to everyone in the world?

If you're asking: "Would EricLaw be happier had the Chrome team reached out to the Edge team for clarification before showing this message?" then the answer is clearly "Yes."

If you're asking: "Did Google show this message with ill intent?" then I will refrain from speculation.
Thanks, that's enough for me :)

@Eric_Lawrence 

Google's claim it's because Microsoft didn't use their (Google's) revocation system is a sure sign that Google is attempting to become a monopoly on the web.  Definitely fodder for the EU (the US won't do much if anything) in their anti-trust investigation.

Open sourcing the chromium engine and then requiring competitors to use your revocation service is simply not a good idea.  Now if Google had said "Hey, Microsoft, please use our revocation service for updates to extensions downloaded from our services" then they would have some grounds to stand on.  Extensions downloaded from Microsoft's extension services wouldn't be impacted by those revocations.

@obermd 

If google are not already a monopoly on the web then I don't know what they are.

@obermd I'll leave the lawyering to the lawyers. I will note, however, that there's no requirement that any Chromium-based browser use Google's Chrome Web Store. As you noted, Microsoft has its own extension store for Edge users, and you won't see any spurious warnings there.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by QueenNini (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Because google is incompetent and dirty, question is, what Microsoft is going to do about google's bad behavior, because it is misleading users that are not tech savvy.

View solution in original post