choppy video playback on youtube

Iron Contributor

I've noticed for the last couple of weeks I believe that when I play youtube when my machine has just reboot works fine but after a whole day using my pc, after a few times locking and unlocking it the video playback on youtube becomes really choppy. If I launch a chrome instance, it works fine. If I close and open edge the problem still persists, just after restarting the machine it comes back to normal

Bear in mind I've an Intel core i7-8700k, and a nvidia RTX 2080ti, so definitely not lack of horsepower.

18 Replies
Which Edge insider channel/version it's happening on?

what's your Windows 10 OS version?

Are you using latest graphic card driver?

does the problem still happen when hardware acceleration is off?
  1. Version 79.0.309.60 (Official build) beta (64-bit)
  2. 1909
  3. Nvidia drive not the latest, I'll do that now 26.21.14.3200
  4. I'll test with hw accel off 

Same thing has been happening with me lately with choppiness on youtube. But also been having an issue with quality of youtube videos too, with options not appearing.

For example there's some videos that only give me the options of 720p and 360p, however on other browsers (Firefox, Safari), all options show up, including 1080p. Not sure what's going on there either.

Thanks, looking forward to the results :)
You are experiencing that problem right now on latest Edge dev or canary too?

@AlexB Our recommendation would also be to try with your hardware settings disabled, so just let us all know how it goes.

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@HotCakeX I'm using just the beta, no canary here as I'm using edge as my main browser now and I don't want to be so "edgy" :)

@Deleted will do, I didn't have a chance yet to use my computer much over the last couple of days, this weekend I should have enough time to reproduce the problem

Happening to me on Microsoft Edge Beta, so yesterday I installed Edge dev but the issue was happening there as well. Did not go back to trying the Canary version.

Small update, tried turning Hardware acceleration off in the browser, but it didn't make a difference, at least in regards to the different issue I had, about quality options of Youtube not appearing, but only in the Edge browser platforms.

@NashizM Can you tell us more about this please? "different issue I had, about quality options of Youtube not appearing, but only in the Edge browser platforms." Are you experiencing the choppy playback and another issue, or just one?

Fawkes (they/them)

Hi yes, I've had the choppy playback but then this other issue as well. Generally the quality options issues has happened more to me, though. I sent in feedback from the browser a week or two ago but haven't been contacted back about that yet.

@NashizM Sending in feedback through the browser is the perfect first step, thank you. (If you sent diagnostic logs/screenshots along with it, our devs should have enough info without needing to contact you further.) Just so we can have it on our radar too, can you please describe the other types of quality issues you're seeing?

Fawkes (they/them)

I believe I sent a screenshot but no diagnostic logs, as I wasn't sure how to. But I forget as this was a few weeks ago.

The other issue is basically just, for certain (a majority of) youtube videos, I only have two quality options to choose from, 360p or 720p. But most of these videos have the full range of options, 480, 1080p, even higher than that as well. In Firefox and Safari, all those options are present, but in Edge they seem to have disappeared. I'm not sure why, it was all working perfectly fine until about December or so, I think. I normally use the Beta but I tried the Dev as well, and I had the same issue there as well.
Yeah, it happens to me either. I use canary and youtube becomes slower and slower.
It has happened for more than two months. I think that is problem of edge not google youtube. Because i changed User Agent to chrome (with this extension https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/user-agent-switcher-and-m/bhchdcejhohfmigjafbampogmaanbfkg)
That problem forbid me from using edge..

I use intel i3 6gen, intel xeon, 1060 and ryzen 2700x 1080
Three of them have the same problem.
I'm glad someone find it too.
Just found out that the quality issue was due to an extension, so it's not an issue of Edge. Disregard that issue, sorry! However the choppy playback still occurs on and off.

@Deleted I haven't noticed the problem for the last 2 weeks I would say. I just ended up using Youtube heavily this week, so I was waiting to get a more consistent sample.

Bear in mind, drivers have been updated since then on my workstation, also Edge has been updated. Could have been one or the other fixing the issue.

So far, I didn't notice any problem with youtube.

Glad to hear it, @NashizM and @AlexB!

Fawkes (they/them)