Cannot log into my home router

Copper Contributor

Ever since the last build or 2, I am unable to log into my router (Netgear XR500).  My router displays a page saying the client has not supplied the correct authentication. I have tried the following troubleshooting steps:

• Clear all browser data
  • Reset all settings to default
  • Uninstall/reinstall app
  • Factory reset router

Other browsers work as intended and am able to log in normally.

13 Replies
Do you see anything in here? edge://settings/passwords

Hi there,

Although I'm not the OP, I have reported this same issue via the feedback option. To be clear with what the OP says, I have created a gif showing the issue. As you can see, the credential windows briefly displays before disappearing and showing the authentication error. I have done the same as the OP, about clearing cookies, cache, etc.

Here's the link for the gif: https://i.imgur.com/AFfcJ1S.gifv

Notice that this behavior happens only since the last 2 Edge Dev builds, and, in other Browsers, such as Edge Spartan or Chrome public builds, works perfectly fine. And also, as the OP, my router is Netgear

@HotCakeX Yes, that's where my passwords are stored?  I tried deleting the stored password for the router but it didn't help.

Well so that's the problem, the saved router password is probably not correct so when you try to login to your router it feeds the wrong credentials to the login portal and you get the error.
so what happens when you try to delete saved passwords in Edge?

@HotCakeX The password is correct as I have successfully logged in many times prior to the last 2 builds with nothing changing other than updating the build.  As I mentioned in my previous reply to you, I did delete the saved password.  The login prompt pops up for a split second, and I immediately get the 401/unauthorized page.  There is another reply from someone else who is also having this issue who supplied an animated GIF of what is actually happening.  Further, logging in also works on any other browser.  I have even tried deleting all cookies for that address.  I've also uninstalled and reinstalled the latest build.  Nothing works.

It did work for a short period of time after I performed a factory reset of the router, but again, with nothing changing, the problem returned.

@DieHardBattery, exactly.

The GIF I have supplied is really clear on what's going on. This has nothing to do with the password saved, as the 401/unauthorized page shows up as soon as the credential pop-up window appear and immediately close itself without any user intervention, leading to this 401/unauthorized error. As I have tested, this is only happening on Edge Dev. Chrome/Firefox/Edge_Spartan and other browsers works without any issues.

This is a bug that appeared since the latest two builds. We need someone from the developer team to see this issue and let us know what kind of logs, dumps or whatever they need to further analyze this bug.

@Esteban Monge 

Same issue here and it only started recently (last week or so).  Is there a new setting in the update that is causing this?

@DieHardBattery  Reading the comments, I am wondering if the authentication issue is Netgear specific or OS specific.  

I tested the routers I regularly interact with (two Cisco, five Linksys, one ATT/Pace, and one Frontier/Netgear 7550) this morning.  The Cisco, Linksys and Pace routers snapped right in; I got the  error with the Netgear 7750 and reported it.

Is anyone encountering the authentication issue with a router that is not a Netgear?

All good here with non-netgear router.

@tomscharbach I believe it might be Netgear specific.  When I inquired about this on the Netduma (Netgear) forum, it had been mentioned that the problem has occurred before on other Netgear routers.  But this seems to only be affecting the latest Edge builds so it's hard to say.

@DieHardBattery  "I believe it might be Netgear specific. ... But this seems to only be affecting the latest Edge builds so it's hard to say."

I had the issue on the Netgear router with Edge Chromium, but not Firefox Quantum. That suggests  that the issue is Edge Chromium specific.**

Based on what we think we know (Netgear specific, Edge Chromium specific, recent builds specific), my uniformed guess is that something in the coding of the latest builds of Edge Chromium is conflicting with the Netgear OS authentication process/protocols in some way or other. (Yeah, duh, right?)

The good news is that the bug seems to be recent, so the Edge Team can probably figure it out reasonably painlessly if enough people report it.

You might consider opening a ticket with Microsoft Edge Support on this issue.  I have found them very helpful on other tricky issues.

===========================

**After Edge Chromium failed to authenticate on the router, I used Firefox Quantum to access the router.

@tomscharbach I have done so already.  They said they are aware of the issue and are working on a solution.

Ah nice, good to know that the devs are aware of the issue. Thanks for the update!