SOLVED

Canary and now Dev are unusable

Silver Contributor

As of Mondays update for Canary and today's update for Canary it is no longer usable as it keeps crashing to desktop and now after todays update for Dev it is doing the same.  I am writing this from Beta Edge as it is not crashing.  I have already sent many feedbacks via inbrowser feedback.  Hope this gets resolved soon...  Can not click on links, tabs or anything else as the browsers crash.  In Canary when right clicking in the address bar it crashes the browser... as I said, I've already sent in feedback via in browser feedback....    I'm on Windows 11 beta Edition Version 21H2, OS build 22000.282, Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.318.0

Dennis5mile

30 Replies
Hey Alexandra, no need to pursue this any further. As of today's Canary update, Version 98.0.1079.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit), middle clicking is once again opening links in a new tab like it did before. Everything is working perfectly once again...

Thanks for your very, very appreciated attention to this matter! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dennis5mile
Hey there, sigh, sad news, Canary is once again no longer loading startup pages, since update, "Version 98.0.1090.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)" I kept hoping it would fix itself, but has not as of todays update, Version 98.0.1093.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit). Everything else is working fine....

Dennis5mile
Hey Dennis! I was actually just looking at an email thread about this. The team currently suspects something is causing the preferences to get into a bad state but they aren't entirely sure what is causing this yet. They attempted to solve this with a change to how we read startup info (which is what fixed this previously in this thread) but it looks like that's actually a temporary fix. Do you mind submitting feedback again and letting me know what you put in the description so I can add that to their investigation? Thanks again, and sorry this didn't turn out to be fully fixed.
Hey Alexandra! Ok, submitted new feedback with first subject line of "None loading startup pages...." Have included a screenshot of my settings/startHomeNTP. Hope this helps...

Dennis5mile

Hey Dennis, I'm back with sort of an involved ask from the team.

[EDIT: But first, could you try restarting the browser and see if this is fixed for you? If so, feel free to disregard the rest of this. This is an involved multi-part issue so if this is fixed with the restart you won't be hitting the case we need the trace for.]

If you're comfortable doing so, this trace would really help investigate what's going on here. 

Close all instances of Edge by going to the App menu and clicking Close Microsoft Edge (This ensures all browser processes are closed.) It’s important that there are no running msedge.exe processes. Open task manager to double check, and make sure you aren't set to keep running Edge in the background!

Open a command prompt as administrator.

Run

tttracer.exe -children -out %userprofile%\desktop\msedge_trace %programfiles(x86)%\microsoft\edge\application\msedge.exe --no-sandbox

You theoretically should see this issue in Stable as well, but might need to edit that run path to the Edge Dev version. 

Once you see a repro, close the browser and zip the traces which will be left on the desktop. (These can be very large so I suspect even with zipping it TC won't let you attach it. Sharing via OneDrive can be helpful, or another hosting site as you prefer.)

Thanks so much, we've got several teams digging in on this and getting this trace would be hugely helpful. 

Hey Alexandra, Well, I was all set to run this trace, but first I decided to see if today's update had come out and it has, so I updated first and then restarted Edge Canary. It seemed to be fixed, so I closed it and restarted it a few more times to see and then I rebooted my system and restarted Edge Canary again and as of Version 98.0.1098.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit) it is fixed! Yeah!!!

Thanks for all you do!! If there is something else you want to me send you please let me know.

Warm regards
Dennis5mile
Hey, that's great! You were part of the 'easy to fix' case then =P

Very glad you're back up and running! Thank you for continuing to report things as you see them, it really helps!

Hey Alexandra, Sorry to report this, but! I started Canary this morning like I always do and eeekkk goes into an immediate not responding state and crashes to desktop. I've uninstalled reinstalled several times, I've uninstalled shut my system completely down for 4 hours, restarted my system, installed Canary and still, immediate not responding, crash to desktop. I cannot even get an inbrowser feedback because it will not run at all.... Canary version 98.0.1100.0 Which is todays update..... Going to try and run that trace to see if it will work....  Using Dev at the moment.

Dennis5mile

Ok, I've finally gotten Canary to run and not crash, but I had to open control panel and select "Change" option and do a repair on Canary. I did this about 10 times before it finally stopped crashing, but now Edge Canary does not seem to update as of today I'm still on Version 98.0.1100.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit), but my Android 11 phone has updated to Version 98.0.1104.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit). What should the latest version of Canary be? I've sent in in-browser feedback with title of "Canary not updating".

Dennis5mile
Hey Dennis! Canary on Windows and Mac should be on 1100 as there's a Canary blocking bug the team is working on. Android and iOS didn't have the issue so those have continued updating. Also, the team cherrypicked some changes to startup behavior so folks should be seeing that resolve soon as well. If it's not too much trouble, can you start new threads for new issues? Helps me keep follow ups straight and makes things a bit more searchable for other folks coming in with the same problems.

"If it's not too much trouble, can you start new threads for new issues? Helps me keep follow ups straight and makes things a bit more searchable for other folks coming in with the same problems."

Absolutely, no problem... new thread name is Canary Crashing after update Version 98.0.1100.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

Dennis5mile