SOLVED

Canary and now Dev are unusable

Silver Contributor

As of Mondays update for Canary and today's update for Canary it is no longer usable as it keeps crashing to desktop and now after todays update for Dev it is doing the same.  I am writing this from Beta Edge as it is not crashing.  I have already sent many feedbacks via inbrowser feedback.  Hope this gets resolved soon...  Can not click on links, tabs or anything else as the browsers crash.  In Canary when right clicking in the address bar it crashes the browser... as I said, I've already sent in feedback via in browser feedback....    I'm on Windows 11 beta Edition Version 21H2, OS build 22000.282, Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.318.0

Dennis5mile

30 Replies

Same problem with as i update edge dev its gets unusable @Dennis5mile 

Hey, thanks both of you for reporting this (both with crash logs and with general feedback). The Dev update to 97.0.1069.0 should have fixed the crash when right clicking the address bar, as well as a few other crash conditions. 

This was posted yesterday, so I do want to confirm if you're still seeing this with today's Canary update. If you're still seeing crashes but able to open the browser, can you try opening an In Private window and see if the crashes occur with the same behaviors? 

Alex Rowell (she/her)
Community Manager - Microsoft Edge
Discuss Stable features and issues on the answers.microsoft.com forums, join us on Twitter, or join the communities over on Reddit in r/MicrosoftEdge or r/edge

@Alexandra-R wrote:

Hey, thanks both of you for reporting this (both with crash logs and with general feedback). The Dev update to 97.0.1069.0 should have fixed the crash when right clicking the address bar, as well as a few other crash conditions. 

This was posted yesterday, so I do want to confirm if you're still seeing this with today's Canary update. If you're still seeing crashes but able to open the browser, can you try opening an In Private window and see if the crashes occur with the same behaviors? 

Alex Rowell (she/her)
Community Manager - Microsoft Edge
Discuss Stable features and issues on the answers.microsoft.com forums, join us on Twitter, or join the communities over on Reddit in r/MicrosoftEdge or r/edge

@Alexandra-R 
Writing this from Beta Edge as it is still stable to use as it has not been updated with Canary or Dev's latest updates...   Have sent in new logs for both Canary and Dev as both are still crashing.  Feedbacks are labeled "Canary Crashing" and "Dev Crashing" for each browser...   Thanks for looking into this so quickly........

Let me know if you need anything further...
Dennis5mile

Thank you for submitting (again)! I've grabbed them and linked them to this thread ahead of raising this and a handful of other reports to the team for a closer look. Is there anything in particular that's triggering the crashes -- signing in to something, translating something, anything like that? If it's random, or after a certain amount of time, that's totally fine. Just if a specific feature is triggering it I want to make sure to get that team involved as well.

Anything you do in Canary crashes it, even with todays update, Version 97.0.1072.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit). Clicking the link in the email notice I received about your reply to this thread crashed it. Also, Canary and Dev are not loading the startup pages assigned to them when you start them. They both load the the new tab page.

If you do nothing and just start the browser it stays up. but as soon as you do anything, ie, reply to any threads, click a link, switch tabs.. all crash the browser. I am using beta edge right now as it is not crashing. Also just sent in another feedback for the email link crash....

Dennis5mile

Thank you! I've gotten this in front of the team and they confirmed this is a known Chromium bug relating to accessibility features. The fix is set to go out tomorrow with Canary 1073, so if you could let me know if you're still hitting this tomorrow after you get the update (and drop a new crash report if you do still encounter it) I'll follow up with the team!
Will do and thanks for the prompt attention and looking forward to the fix.

Dennis5mile
best response confirmed by Dennis5mile (Silver Contributor)
Solution
Oh, also passing on a workaround that may help in the interim! You may have Accessibility Features enabled unexpectedly; turning off the Windows 10 "Text cursor indicator" might get you back up and running as expected, for example. Eric Lawrence (a Principal on the Edge team who wrote this blog) suggested it might help short term if you'd like to take a look and try the workarounds. https://textslashplain.com/2021/10/12/accessibility-uia-troubleshooting/
Ah, yes, that is an old workaround and it has stopped the crashing of Canary. I've forgotten about this. But, Canary is still not loading the pages it is set to load at startup. Still just loading the new tab page, but now I can use it again.. :) . Hopefully tomorrows fix will take care of it all...

Thanks for the workaround reminder...
Dennis5mile
If tomorrow's fix doesn't get the correct pages loading again I'll follow that one up separately! Thanks for confirming the workaround works for you =)
Ok, Todays Canary update Version 98.0.1074.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit), has fixed the crashing issue while "Text cursor indicator" is turned on. Canary for me, is no longer crashing.

But, it is still not loading the correct startup pages. It still loads the new tab page. Also, have another issue that I keep forgetting to add, you can no longer middle click links and have them open in a new tab. if you want a link to open in a new tab you now have to right click it and select open in new tab from the popup menu...... Have sent in new feedback "Canary not loading startup pages." with all the Diag info attatched...

Dennis5mile
¿ya enviaron nueva actualización?
97.0.1069.0 is completely unusable. Can't do more than 5 actions before it totally crashes and closes. Submitted a couple Feedback reports already.

Having to use the GA Edge for the most part until this gets fixed, but very inconvenient.
Hey Robert! Can you try out today's Canary build to confirm if this is the same issue that Dennis reported? If so, the fix will be in next week's Dev! =)
Thanks Dennis! Got the feedback, will follow it up with the team and let you know when I know more =)

@Alexandra-R   I just downloaded Canary.  It is performing stable :)  All the actions that reliable crashing Dev work fine in today's canary.  Looking forward to next weeks Dev release for the fix :)

Hi, not sure what happened between last night and shutting Canary down and this morning starting Canary back up, but it is now loading the correct startup pages. I've tested it several times this morning and it continues to load the correct startup pages, so I'd say it is fixed.

This just leaves the middle mouse button click which has always opened links in a new tab, but is no longer doing so......

Thanks
Dennis5mile
Middle clicking mouse still not opening new tabs after todays Canary update Version 98.0.1078.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit).

Dennis5mile
Hey Dennis, do you mind creating a new thread for the middle click issue (and also dropping a snippet from your feedback specifically for that in the thread)? Partly for bookkeeping on my end, but partly because there've been several fixes in Canary since the last feedback of yours I grabbed! Oh, can you also try it in an InPrivate window to rule out extensions? Thanks!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Dennis5mile (Silver Contributor)
Solution
Oh, also passing on a workaround that may help in the interim! You may have Accessibility Features enabled unexpectedly; turning off the Windows 10 "Text cursor indicator" might get you back up and running as expected, for example. Eric Lawrence (a Principal on the Edge team who wrote this blog) suggested it might help short term if you'd like to take a look and try the workarounds. https://textslashplain.com/2021/10/12/accessibility-uia-troubleshooting/

View solution in original post