SOLVED

Canary (86.0.622.0) - Flickering / Unusable

Steel Contributor

Just updated to 86.0.622.0 and this version is completely unusable due to an enormous amount of flickering.

18 Replies

@Keith Davis 

Not enormous amounts, each web page flickers badly then settles with me until I change or move anything. Not good or usable.

Getting same problem here as well with Version 86.0.622.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit). Would not be good to leave us like this for the entire weekend...
Hope everyone sends in feedback on this with all the diagnostic date attached..

Dennis5mile

@Keith Davis seeing the same issue. The build is not usable at all and requires an urgent fix for this issue. @MissyQ @Deleted can we have a fix for this please?

I sent 2 feedbacks in, the second one has a small video clip of the problem..

Dennis5mile

@Keith Davis @Dennis5mile @Rohit Yadav @Davy-D 

Thank you all for reporting this! The good news is that the team already made a bug and is investigating it right now. We'll let you know when it's resolved, but please let us know if you see anything else in the meantime.

Fawkes (they/them)
Program Manager & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

That is awesome to hear. Thanks for the quick update!

In the meantime the quick fix is to disable hardware acceleration:
edge://settings/system --> Use hardware acceleration when available --> OFF

That works!!!
Great temporary fix.. Worked for me..

Dennis5mile

@lunarsound I experimented with the issue a bit and found that repeatedly killing the GPU process also do the job. The flicker stops and you have the browser working fine with H/W acceleration enabled.

I turned on my PCs and can see that the build number has changed to 622.1. Have we received an update? Cannot see the flicker now.

@Keith Davis 

Yes, Flickering should be fixed for everyone now with update Version 86.0.622.1 (Official build) canary (64-bit). Is this correct @Deleted ?

Dennis5mile

Yea, I have that build. Thank you for responding. And huge thanks to the team for issuing an out of band update, that too on weekend!

@Rohit Yadav Canary .622.1 is out and the flickering is fixed.

@Rohit Yadav 

Thanks for this update. Yes, I also think that the Edge Dev team was working this weekend because I got a "we're working on your feedback" e-mail which would only come on working days i.e. Mon-Fri. Thank you Microsoft Edge Dev team to fix this issue before we expected to see it :smile:

@Deleted curious to know, if the team can share; what were the changes which lead to the flicker issue? An improvement to the Hardware Acceleration? Changes to the GPU Process? Or something other? 

best response
Solution

Hi everyone, I'm happy to confirm that the bug is closed and the flickering should be resolved! Thanks again for submitting feedback and helping us jump on this quickly. 

Fawkes (they/them)

@Rohit Yadav Great question -- I wasn't hands-on with the fix, so I can't speak definitively to its cause. However, it looks like it may have been related to a recent change in the overall Chromium code.

Fawkes (they/them)

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response
Solution

Hi everyone, I'm happy to confirm that the bug is closed and the flickering should be resolved! Thanks again for submitting feedback and helping us jump on this quickly. 

Fawkes (they/them)

View solution in original post