Canary 81.0.394.0: Browser windows don't reopen in same order after updates

Copper Contributor

Has anyone else noticed that if you open multiple browser windows (each with their own set of tabs) that after an update the order that these windows appeared in on the taskbar prior to the update is not retained? 

For example, I like to keep my webmail in the first set of tabs and in this screen grab you can see that after the update it is now in the 6th set of tabs (Workspace Webmail). This ability to retain the position of the tab groups used to work but I've occasionally seen it stop working then work again but it seems to keep coming back. In fact, I was asked to try Canary (from using Dev) to see if this corrected the issue and it did for a short while but not this past update.

clipboard_image_0.png

5 Replies
Hi,
when you say after an update, are you referring to Windows updates?

In this case it was after the Edge update.

I did perform a Windows update the day before I updated and reported this issue on the browser and during that Windows update the Canary release either updated (I assumed it did) or, during the closing and reboot it lost the previous arrangement.

I moved the specific tabs back to the first window during the day after the Windows update and last night I performed the update to the next Canary release version noted in the subject field and that's when the individual Edge browser windows rearranged themselves again. 

Oh I see, thanks, so I tried to reproduce it by changing a flag in edge://flags/
and then restarting the browser with 5-6 tabs open.
after restart their arrangement were kept intact.
Version 81.0.395.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

so it's probably only happening after a browser update

Thank you....It's not the order of the tabs within an Edge browser window that I'm reporting on. That doesn't appear to change. Within an Edge window (containing multiple open tabs) the order doesn't change after a update.

What I'm reporting on is that when you have multiple Edge browser windows open, that the order of these browser windows change.

In my original post I showed an image of what pops up when you hover over the Edge icon in the taskbar. If you compare the image in my original post to the one below you can see that a tab within the first set of tabs I have open is my Workspace Webmail (among other important tabs). In the image in my original post you can see the window with this tab moved to the sixth position after the last update (I keep having to move these tabs back to whatever ends up being first window).

The order of the individual Edge browser windows should not change after an update so that I can know that in the first browser window I can always find very specific tabs I open and use all the time without having to search around the open browser windows to find what I'm looking for.

clipboard_image_0.png

Oh sorry I missed that part, yes it must be a bug then :)