Can we appeal a typosquatting listing?

Copper Contributor

I work for a licensed financial services business, and the URL we use for a client-facing site is now being blocked by the typosquatting protection feature.

The URL (which we've been using for over two years) is a play on the company name, but it is similar to that of a local news website.

According to the article announcing the feature:

https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2022/10/17/website-typo-protection-typosquatting/

When encountering a typosquatting site that we have identified, you’ll be greeted with an interstitial warning page suggesting you might have misspelled the site you’re navigating to and asking you to verify the site address before proceeding.

So, how does that identification work, and what can we do to appeal a completely legitimate site being listed?

2 Replies
Hi @CobusKruger, thank you for your feedback!
We have added a feedback button to the blocking page, but it's not enabled for Stable channel yet (It's on Canary and Dev channels). We expect it to be enabled for Stable very soon but for now please use the Feedback button (Alt+Shift+i) for appealing legitimate sites if you are on Stable channel.

Thank you for the response.

The problem with just using the feedback feature is that it's one-way. I can't report to the business that I gave feedback and that we may or may not be blocked in future, especially as our clients universally misunderstand the message and believe we've been hacked. Worse, we can't even confirm whether we're being blocked or not, because it only happens for certain clients and no one in the development team can recreate the issue.

Therefore, our current response is to tell affected clients to use Chrome. I think that's a terrible solution that reflects badly on both us and Microsoft.