SOLVED

Bug in Importing Firefox History & Passwords !

Iron Contributor

Please let us have the option to import everything from Firefox! History & Passwords ! Not just the bookmarks!
I've been using Firefox since 2004 and this is the first time that I'll completely ditch it for Edge Chromium ! That's how GOOD is the new Edge ! So I must move all my data to Edge !
I cannot move to Edge without my history and passwords! You have no idea how much I count on them on my work & my personal stuff!
I've checked most Chromium browsers and they all doesn't have the option to move anything from Firefox except the bookmarks!! Which is very ridiculous!! Specially because you can move EVERYTHING from Chromium to Firefox !!
However I found out that Vivaldi actually can import the history and the passwords of Firefox !! Which means "It's NOT impossible" for Chromium browsers !!
And since this "Edge" is Microsoft's main browser and one of the top and best and will be even a lot better when it releases it's first stable version THEN you MUST include the same option !! And very very soon too! Since millions are using Firefox and may move to Edge! Pleaseeeee!
This will also be one of the main best pros in Edge compared to Chrome !! Which means people can move from Firefox to Edge A LOT easier than moving to Chrome!
I really want to use Edge Chromium as my main browser and I can't do it without my history and passwords (And the hundreds of bookmarks I have of course) from my Firefox!
This is maybe the only thing I want you guys to do in Edge !

40 Replies
Historically we have had issues with recognizing the profile paths for non standard installations (policy driven installs, portable installs etc) so it was better for me to ask. But yes, this would be our bug and not FFs. I have taken a bug on this in our roadmap.

@rishavsharan 
That's great! Thank you soooo much!!
Yeah it's always from the standard official installer! Hope it get fixed ASAP :)
Thank you again!

@rishavsharan 
I'm sorry but it's been a month since my last comment and there is nothing new !
And Mr @Deleted has accepted your comment as "Best Response" and I didn't say it's the best response because I was promised A LOT about this to be fixed! So I will wait for an actual fix so I can mark a comment as best response!
I've been emailing you guys and sending you feedback plus this thread for A YEAR about this issue and there is still nothing! And nothing even is planned in here https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback although it shouldn't be listed in this list since it's a simple quick fix! You guys already added "Edge Legacy Import" in a matter of days after Windows 10 v2004 released but not Firefox ?!
I have literally more than 1000 bookmarks in Firefox and hundreds of login info and probably thousands of history stuff, I need to move them all to Edge but I can't, So as long as I can't then I won't use Edge until then.

@rishavsharan @fawkes 
It's been another month.... so ????

@rishavsharan @fawkes ?????????????????

@Omar-Os Rishav's team is continuing to look into this, however, there is not much new information to share. It seems like there's something happening in relation the specific devices that you've attempted this on, as most other users are now reportedly able to import data from Firefox just fine. As @tomscharbach mentioned a while back, opening a support ticket will likely be best, as our support agents can offer individualized troubleshooting. And if you haven't yet, we also recommend submitting detailed feedback and diagnostics through the browser (Shift+Alt+I, or "..." menu > Help and feedback > Send feedback.)

And while we love to see your eagerness for info both here on the forums and our other social sites, our moderators wanted to remind you that comments on community threads should be constructive, polite, and substantive. We appreciate your help in keeping our community positive and vibrant!

Fawkes (they/them)
Program Manager & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted 
I sent many tickets & feedbacks in the past year and they all said we will look into it and nothing happened.
I've tested this on like 30 machines with different editions of Firefox and Edge and only like 3 of them worked...
This is of course isn't the fault of these 27 machines...

@rishavsharan @fawkes 
4 months later (after your promise) and still waiting......

@Deleted  @rishavsharan 

The Firefox import works perfectly, I tried it on multiple devices in multiple versions of Firefox and Edge, during multiple builds of Windows 10, every time I tried it it worked.

• Edge: 80, 81, 83, 84, 85, 86 (currently beta)
  • Firefox: 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 (currently beta)

please don't change anything in Edge in regard to Firefox import because you might break it and stop it from working.

@Omar-Os 

your Firefox data might be corrupted, do a refresh and clean reinstallation.
to really test it, clean install Windows 10 on a machine, virtual or not, then install Firefox and Edge, do the import, it will work. if it doesn't work in that new clean environment, record a quick video of the process and the error you get and post it here.

@HotCakeX 
Tried already and it didn't work.

video?

@Omar-Os 

@Omar-Os wrote:

@HotCakeX 
Tried already and it didn't work.

You say it doesn't work huh, well watch this, could use it as a tutorial to do it the right way:

https://streamable.com/8wrq7m

This video clearly shows that Firefox import to Edge works perfectly fine.

History, favorites, passwords etc.

in real time.

@HotCakeX 
Good for you, it doesn't work for me and dozens of machines of my family, friends and at work. And it doesn't work for plenty of other people. So you can stop saying "It's working It's working" every single minute.
And I'm not lying in case if you are suggesting that.

@Omar-Os 

Spoiler

@Omar-Os wrote:

@HotCakeX 
Good for you, it doesn't work for me and dozens of machines of my family, friends and at work. And it doesn't work for plenty of other people. So you can stop saying "It's working It's working" every single minute.
And I'm not lying in case if you are suggesting that.

Well, I told you what to do, and you even said that it doesn't work on a brand new machine and Windows installation, which is Not true, as you can see in the video. lying or not it's all up to you, not judging.

I'm just telling you that your Firefox data might be corrupted and years of history that you got there, like you said, could also be an issue and cause problem.

the fact that you don't want to do anything and just ask Microsoft to fix a problem (that might not even exist) and that is not universal, is a bad idea. they might break something that otherwise works just fine and cause further issues some other place in the code.

I'm not talking about others (family, friends etc), if you want I can say that it works fine for my family, friends etc.

@HotCakeX 
It would have been my problem if it happened on a machine or 2
But not on every single machine I tested (mine or not and mostly not mine) for the past 1.5 years !
And I chatted with them before and sent a lot of things they asked from me and they know that it's their problem, so you can just stop now you are not helping anyone at all.

@Omar-Os 

Spoiler

@Omar-Os wrote:

@HotCakeX 
It would have been my problem if it happened on a machine or 2
But not on every single machine I tested (mine or not and mostly not mine) for the past 1.5 years !
And I chatted with them before and sent a lot of things they asked from me and they know that it's their problem, so you can just stop now you are not helping anyone at all.

I am helping them to know that it's not a universal bug thus not happening to everyone, so in case they wanna change something, better keep that in mind so that they won't break something that is already working, accidentally.

your initial post is about Edge or Chromium browsers in general not having the option to import from Firefox. it wasn't about Edge having problem with Firefox import.

so the responses you received from Microsoft employees were not about Edge having problem, but about Edge not having Import option from Firefox.

you refuse to try to reinstall Firefox and Edge on a new Windows installation, even though you are using sync in those browsers.

you refuse to try the import, like I did, on a brand new installation.

it's not about how many machines you try, you could configure all of them the same way, install the same thing on all of them and so they all get the same problem.

@HotCakeX 

It's none of your business, you can leave this thread now.

@Omar-Os 

Spoiler

@Omar-Os wrote:

@HotCakeX 

It's none of your business, you can leave this thread now.

Sorry, it's a public forum/community.

best response confirmed by Omar-Os (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@Omar-Os 

No thanks to Edge dev/support team, After more than 1.5 years I finally just fixed this issue by creating a new profile in Firefox then removed it immediately, now Edge detects my default Firefox profile! Which proves that it was an Edge detection issue not Firefox's.

Firefox and Edge support import/export, no need for manual work.
I've done this successfully.