SOLVED

Bug: Edge Dev Crashes to Blank Window after W10 Statrup

Steel Contributor

Edge Dev intermittently restarts with a blank white window after a W10 reboot or startup. This time, I tried killing some of the tasks shown in the screenshot, such as the doubleclick subframes and the OneTab extension, but the only thing that fixes this is closing and reopening Edge. This has occurred several times across the last 2-3 builds. 

Microsoft Edge ver. 79.0.309.7 (Official build) dev (64-bit)

Windows 10 ver. 10.0.18363 Build 18363

HP Spectre x360 model: 13-w023dx:  i7-7500U CPU, 16GB RAM 

4 Replies
best response confirmed by Mike Glenn (Steel Contributor)
Solution
Have you tried disabling all of your extensions?
and doing a reset? edge://settings/reset
how about any custom flags?
if they all fail, try fresh installing it again
https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download/

@HotCakeX good suggestions. I'll give them a try, although the problem is intermittent (not repeatable) so I won't be certain if any of these steps made a difference. For example, I rebooted last night (before trying any of these steps) and Edge Dev was fine. After the reboot, I did a disk cleanup including Windows and Edge Dev temporary files, so that may help as well. If I get the blank screen again I'll try these suggestions one-at-a-time.

BTW, I take from the low response rate to this post that this is not a very common issue, but thanks for your response.

You're welcome,
Yes, though don't think you're alone, if you see most of the recent posts, people (including me) are having similar problems more or less, however they are mostly a full browser crash instead of crash to blank..
specially after Edge dev got upgraded to ver 80 and like you said they are intermittent and can't find a solid pattern for it :\

I get this very frequently. Every once in a while hitting F5 refresh gets it back but usually I have to close Edge (sometimes end task) and reopen to get the display back. I'm in dark mode. Today it happened, refresh did not work. Then I tried right clicking on the task bar icon for edge dev and opened a new instance which came up as a completely white blank window, usually my crashes are a completely black window. I moved my mouse around on the white window and could tell there was an MSN page under there by seeing the link urls.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Mike Glenn (Steel Contributor)
Solution
Have you tried disabling all of your extensions?
and doing a reset? edge://settings/reset
how about any custom flags?
if they all fail, try fresh installing it again
https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download/

View solution in original post