SOLVED

BSOD with Message (Resource not owned) when using Pen

Brass Contributor

Question: Can anyone else maybe with Surface Hardware reproduce this?

Edge Build: 96.0.1035.0 

Reproduction: Use Surface Pen, happens instantly 

Does not happen on:

Stable Build (I don't know if it was already a case in earlier builds as I didn't use the pen for a while.) Touch inputs.

It's maybe worth noting if it happens to more people here.

I did send a bug report just in case that this isn't known yet

24 Replies
best response confirmed by YasinAkimura (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Last update here!
https://twitter.com/MSEdgeDev/status/1445839848665796610
Canary & Beta channels already have the fix, but we are still rolling it out to Dev & Stable. Relaunching Edge 2-3 times should resolve any issues.

@Alexandra-R 

Hi, We are having issues with this and wanted to find out when this would be made public. 

Some of our users have reported that edge now works with the pens but some have mentioned it still does not working. 

Thanks, 

Sangeet

Watching at dump files one can only wonder... How is it possible for Edge, being an application, to be able to create BSOD?
The issue is not limited to a specific PC model or specific pen, so other drivers can't be at fault. Then what is? Is the issue really in Bluetooth drivers or Windows kernel? Maybe fixing Edge was a temporary workaround? How is it possible to fix BSOD in win32kbase.sys by updating Edge.

Not trying to start any flame wars or smth, just genuinely curious

I am also really curious about this
I'm having this issue on a clean install of win 10 build 19044.1288 experience pack 120.2212.3920.0 getting BSOD using pen with whiteboard after a minute or so. Is on a surface pro 5 and basically rendered it useless. This is a year after the issue seems to have been first raised, is there any help?
Thanks