Bring back clearer indicators whether we're in InPrivate or AppGuard modes

Brass Contributor

The old non-Chromium Edge had a clear rectangular indicator in the top left corner, blue for InPrivate and orange when using AppGuard. It'd be nice if that could be brought back.

More so because when running Edge in dark mode, it's hard to discern between normal and InPrivate windows (before main was white and InPrivate dark, in dark mode both are bark). The weird outline button with the mode next to the address bar doesn't really stand out. Same goes for AppGuard, whose button is even smaller. You couldn't be more subtle without actually removing it.

Please bring back the color coded markers in the titlebar.

Thanks.

5 Replies

I also liked the colored indicators in the top left, they stood out but not negatively, and they achieved their purpose.

Hi @Glowtape 

There has been changes since you posted this, for example the InPrivate indicator now has a Blue outline, it stays the same regardless of your Edge theme (light/dark)

fdsfsdf.png

I find it sufficient to let users know they are using InPrivate mode, but wanna know what you think about it too :)

Application Guard's indicator still needs improvements though, it's Still not easily recognizable

tgfdgfdg.png

Version 81.0.368.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit), latest version

@HotCakeX I've seen that. I'd still prefer them to go the way the "old/classic" Edge had it. That was pretty clear and easy to discern. I have no idea how the current way is deemed acceptable, when they had a better UI in the past on the non-Chromium version. Isn't the UI in Chromium HTML+TypeScript, too? Can't be that hard to add.

@Glowtape 

I agree. The InPrivate UI was much better with edge classic. Microsoft needs to bring it back.