blocking ads without third-party extensions.

Steel Contributor

Hello. I'd like to see a built-in ad blocker like in opera. I think this feature will be useful and you don't need to install third-party blockers. also, in the case of your own blocker in edge, the problem of banning blockers will be solved.

52 Replies
Hi,
since i haven't used Opera recently i wanna ask if its built-in adblocker is effective enough, like does it block all the ads on the websites? also does it block YouTube ads that appear on videos?

@HotCakeX Hello. I enjoyed opera 2 months ago for the last time. the video advertising was blocked including on yutube

That's really nice. would be great to see similar function in the new Edge browser.
maybe also a built-in VPN.

@nikitat1260 wrote:

Hello. I'd like to see a built-in ad blocker like in opera. I think this feature will be useful and you don't need to install third-party blockers. also, in the case of your own blocker in edge, the problem of banning blockers will be solved.

@nikitat1260  @HotCakeX 

Actually there is a built in ads blocker in the last 2 versions of Canary.. Version 78.0.262.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)..

How well it works I don't know as I've not tested it out yet... 

Ads blocking.jpg

Also note that in this next picture there are no options to "add" sites to the blocked list nore to the "allowed" list...

Ads Block 2.jpg

At least I've got it in my version.. could be one of those, chosen few...

Dennis5mile

I've tried the Android version of Opera and it wasn't bad. It had it's own VPN (server) and there's also "Opera Mini" for android which is a mini browser that's bare bones (lightweight) like Firefox Focus (Android) is. However since I use Edge for Android and Samsung Browser secondary I didn't keep Opera. Only so many browsers I need especially on Android.  I haven't tried on Windows in years since they went Chromium engine. 

Only thing about adding a browsers own ad blocker is...you get their ad blocker whether their own version or they partner with a third party. With extensions you can pick your ad blocker whether it's Ublock or ABP or something else.  I had Ublock and found it stopped working for me on various of websites so I switched to Adblock Plus and it works fine. I don't always use it too as some websites break especially news sites telling you to turn it off. So I mostly defaulted ABP to off expect for a few websites I know that are ad filled upon launching. If websites start locking said ad blocker you can try delete and another one instead of being tied into the single one built into the web browser. 

That's the only down side to a built in ad blocker. I guess it would have to have default options settable to on and off options or to be able to delete, and still allow users to use their own third party ad blocker if they choose. VPN would be a pretty cool concept especially tied in or secondary option tied into InPrivate. I liked the VPN options on Opera Android. 

@Dennis5mile I checked. this blocker does not block a large number of ads. including yutube

@Anthony I agree the user should choose to use a built-in blocker and a third-party blocker.

Yeah it's obvious since it's in the settings page...
but that's not what we meant. it has no difference whether it's on or off. think of it as a placebo.
Opera's ad-blocker is similar to what ublock is, a real adblocker that works. and in today's internet, it's a must-have, so better be integrated into the browser itself.
That's right,
but the thing is it's already there in Edge: edge://settings/content/ads
Microsoft put something there and says it blocks ads (god knows what kind of ads they refer to lol) so all im asking is to improve on that and make it work :)

Yeah I originally had Ublock but the extension kept self-turning off and breaking (requiring repairing or reinstalling) on both my Edge Canary and when trying it on original Chromium browser. Tails uses Ublock now as their official but unofficial ad blocker for their Tails OS. I got tired of trying to fix and solution it so I switched to ABP (Adblock Plus) and haven't had any problems since. It works the same as Ublock...nothing special or unique about ABP that those using Ublock without problems should switch.

I don't mind supporting ads of local entrepreneurs (like ma and pa online stores) trying to use ad revenue to help their business which I’ll whitelist.  But some of these big cooperation websites are ridiculous with the amount of adware with most of the ads holding no interest to me so a decent adblocker is needed.

Capture.JPG

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-plus-free-ad-bloc/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb...

quick comparison between ublock origins and adblock plus.
https://www.webxen.com/kb/ublock-origin-vs-adblock-plus/

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/8m9vu9/ublock_origin_vs_adblock_plus/

the main advantages of ublock origin: more effective, less CPU/RAM usage.
it takes one click to disable ublock origin on a website to see its ads, i don't see it as a feature that ABP is advertising for.
and of course we shouldn't forget the community based filters that ublock origin uses which makes it literally the best because of help of people. adblock plus takes money from 3rd parties in order to let their website domain be added to their white list. common dirty business practices.. nothing special
Google, Microsoft, and Amazon are paying Adblock Plus huge fees to get their ads unblocked

https://www.businessinsider.com/google-microsoft-amazon-taboola-pay-adblock-plus-to-stop-blocking-th...

Adblock Plus reveals how it’s charging companies to let ads through your ad blocker

https://thenextweb.com/insider/2015/12/16/adblock-plus-reveals-how-its-charging-companies-to-let-ads...

Yeah, that's the reason Tails OS dropped ABP and in it's place put in Ublock ealier this year. Although I haven't had any ads come through with Youtube, Amazon, Walmart, Yahoo on ABP so it seems to work fine thus far for me. I can't say for Google as I don't use Google search enough to deterimine ABP's affectiness (except to say no ads come through on Youtube). I'll use DuckDuckGo and after that Yahoo or Bing. I'll try Ublock again in about two weeks to see how it's responding. I've been using ABP for about two weeks now after the Ublock (Raymond Hill version) issues started. 

@Anthony I now use ublock advertising does not miss.

I'll try it again in a few weeks.

hhmm, how does ublock compare to AdGuard and/or Adblocker Ultimate? I use AdGuard on Edge classic, but can not seem to get them to add it here and I do not install anything from the huge security/dataminning chromeanything stores..... But I see ublock available in the store for Edge Can/Dev....

Dennis5mile

As long as it blocks Youtube Ads, I’m fine and don't care who makes it. As long as it works. Cobra Kai on Youtube without ads was nice bwahaha. I'll retry Ublock in a few weeks.

@Dennis5mile 

AdGuard is mainly know for it's system-wide Windows software which is premium and you have to purchase it. in terms of of extensions, ublock origin is better with less system resource usage and more available filters.
AdGuard is also an effective tool for rooted Android phones to block system-wide ads.

AdGuard software can function in all installed browsers/programs, it uses more system resources because of the advanced techniques.
AdGuard system software is easily circumvented when user is using proxy or VPN.

another thing, ublock origin has no filter limit. you can add adguard filters, ad block plus filters and any other custom filters to it such as those that block bitcoin miners in websites.

here you can find them all:

https://filterlists.com/

with that website, you see that ublock origin is not just a normal adblocker, it's more like a platform full of possibilities and options.

@HotCakeX wrote:

AdGuard is mainly know for it's system-wide Windows software which is premium and you have to purchase it. in terms of of extensions, ublock origin is better with less system resource usage and more available filters.

@HotCakeX 

I have AdGuard on Edge Classic and it was a free extension from the MS store.  I Love the way it works and all the options you have with it.  The security features are great along with many other blocking options.   But since the Edge Team does not seem to want to add it here, I have now installed ublock and I like it as well, though compared to ADGuard, AdGuard has more blocking options... 

Thanks for the info on ublock, :smile:

Dennis5mile