Beta channel update to 81.0.416.12 is live

MVP

These release notes provide information about new features and non-security updates that are included in the Microsoft Edge Beta Channel.

Edge Beta Version 81.0.416.12: February 20

Feature updates

• Collections is now available. You can get started by clicking the Collections icon next to the address bar. This opens the Collections pane where you can create, edit, and view Collections. We designed Collections based on what you do on the web. If you’re a shopper, a traveller, a teacher or a student, Collections can help. Learn more.

• Allow the removal (Hide from toolbar) of the Collections button from the Microsoft Edge toolbar for consistency.

• On-prem Active Directory account auto sign in will only be targeted to organizations that turn it on. If users were already signed in with an on-prem AD account, they will now be able to sign out of it. Now, users will only be automatically signed in with the primary account on their operating system if it is an MSA or an Azure AD account. Admins can enable auto sign in with an on-prem AD account using the ConfigureOnPremisesAccountAutoSignIn policy.

• Application Guard. Extensions support now available in the container.

• Added a message to inform users that Internet Explorer is not installed when a user navigates to a page that is configured to open in Internet Explorer mode.

• Updated the 3D View tool in Microsoft Edge DevTools with a new feature to help debug z-index stacking context. 3D View shows a representation of the DOM (Document Object Model) depth using color and stacking, and the z-Index view helps you isolate the different stacking contexts of your page. Learn more.

• Localized the F12 Dev tools in 10 new languages, so they will match the language used in the rest of the browser. Learn more.

• Added support for Dolby Vision playback. On Dolby Vision-enabled Windows 10 Build 17134 (April 2018 Update), websites can show Dolby vision content. See how to enable Dolby Vision content from Netflix.

• Microsoft Edge can now identify and remove duplicate favorites and merge folders with the same name. To access the tool, click the star on the browser’s toolbar and select "Remove duplicate favorites". You will be able to confirm changes and any updates to your favorites will be synced across devices.

• We heard from users it can be difficult to distinguish a normal browsing window in dark theme from an InPrivate window since both window frames are dark. The new solid InPrivate blue pill in the top right corner helps reassure users they are browsing InPrivate.

• Open external links in the correct browser profile. Select a default profile for links opened for external apps to open in from edge://settings/multiProfileSettings.

• Added a warning to alert users who sign into a browser profile with an account after being previously signed in with another account. This will help prevent unintentional data merging.

• If you have payment cards saved in your Microsoft account, you can use them in Microsoft Edge while filling out payment forms. The cards in your Microsoft account will sync across desktop devices and the full details will be shared with the website after two-factor authentication (CVC code and your Microsoft identity.) For further convenience, you can choose to securely save a copy of the card on the device during authentication.

• Line Focus is designed for users who like to focus on a limited part of the content as they read. It lets users keep the focus on 1, 3 or 5 lines at a time and dims out the rest of the page to let users read without distraction. Users can scroll using touch or arrow keys and the focus shifts accordingly.

• Microsoft Edge is now integrated with Windows Speller on Windows platforms 8.1 and above. This integration provides greater language support, with access to more language dictionaries and the ability to use Windows custom dictionaries. There is no further action needed from the users when a language has been added in the OS language settings and a language spellcheck toggle is enabled in Microsoft Edge settings.

• When PDF documents are opened using Microsoft Edge, users will now be able to create highlights, change color, and delete highlights. This helps in referencing important parts of the document later, and for collaboration.

• When loading long PDF documents that have been optimized for web, the pages being viewed by the user will be loaded faster, parallelly, while the rest of the document is loading.

• Now it's easier to start the Immersive Reader for a website by just pressing the F9 key.

• Now it's easier to start Read Aloud by using a keyboard shortcut (Ctrl + Shift + U).

Policy updates

New policies

12 new policies were added. Download the updated Administrative Templates from the Microsoft Edge Enterprise landing page. The following new policies were added.

Deprecated policies

The following policies continue to work in this release. They will become "obsolete" in a future release.

You can use Microsoft Docs website to find All kinds of information for Microsoft products:

https://docs.microsoft.com

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-relnote-beta-channel

13 Replies

@HotCakeX 

Interesting. My Edge Dev is still at 81.0.416.11 and reports itself as up to date. I wonder why Dev is apparently lagging behind Beta.

ED-version-2020-02-21 103413.png

@HotCakeX wrote:
  • Microsoft Edge is now integrated with Windows Speller on Windows platforms 8.1 and above. This integration provides greater language support, with access to more language dictionaries and the ability to use Windows custom dictionaries. There is no further action needed from the users when a language has been added in the OS language settings and a language spellcheck toggle is enabled in Microsoft Edge settings.

@HotCakeX 

A propos of our recent conversation, autocorrect is apparently still not implemented despite this update. My mispellings are still mispelt.

@Noel Burgess 

Spoiler

@Noel Burgess wrote:

@HotCakeX 

Interesting. My Edge Dev is still at 81.0.416.11 and reports itself as up to date. I wonder why Dev is apparently lagging behind Beta.

I was also expecting Dev to move over to version 82 yesterday but Idk, something is going on, I hope they tell us what

@Noel Burgess 

Spoiler

@Noel Burgess wrote:

@HotCakeX wrote:

@HotCakeX 

A propos of our recent conversation, autocorrect is apparently still not implemented despite this update. My mispellings are still mispelt.

Ah why do you keep saying auto correct?

when did Microsoft say Edge is going to have auto correct?

Spell checking != auto correct

like I said earlier, auto correct is a feature handled by OS, not individual applications.

Windows 10 has auto correct in the settings (+ text suggestions) which works in all applications/programs.

Start -> Settings -> Devices -> Typing

@Noel Burgess  "Interesting. My Edge Dev is still at 81.0.416.11 and reports itself as up to date. I wonder why Dev is apparently lagging behind Beta."

Ditto.  I'm experiencing something similar with Windows 10 builds, too.  On the computers running the production build of Windows 10 my app icons are little by slowly switching over the new designs, apparently through Windows Store app updating.  On the computer running the Windows 10 Slow Ring Insider build, nothing has changed to so far.  I imagine that it will all settle down in time, on both fronts, but it is odd to have the cart seemingly ahead of the horse with both Edge and Windows 10 builds.

@HotCakeX 

Look at my screenshot in the other conversation. This is what it says:

"The built-in spelling checker that autocorrects or underlines misspelled words and offers correction options is not currently available. Were sorry for the inconvenience and we will get this working as soon as possible."

Windows 10 has auto correct in the settings (+ text suggestions) which works in all applications/programs ...

...except Edge!

@Noel Burgess 

Spoiler

@Noel Burgess wrote:

@HotCakeX 

Look at my screenshot in the other conversation. This is what it says:

"The built-in spelling checker that autocorrects or underlines misspelled words and offers correction options is not currently available. Were sorry for the inconvenience and we will get this working as soon as possible."

Windows 10 has auto correct in the settings (+ text suggestions) which works in all applications/programs ...

...except Edge!

about Windows 10 auto correct,

This feature works within UWP applications such as Microsoft Edge legacy, Outlook Mail and Calendar, and most Windows Store apps. It also works when using the on-screen touch keyboard. It is not for legacy Win32 applications such as Google Chrome or the Edge browser.

I think It was a misunderstanding by Edge team, by auto correct they are referring to the same auto correct feature in Windows 10, but it doesn't work in Win32 programs, like the new Edge, only works in UWP apps, maybe Mac has it too and it works in all programs, I don't use it so I don't know.

never seen it inside a browser, there is also no flag or settings in Edge to even remotely suggest it has auto correct feature.

I hope developers shed some light on this because it's confusing.

Please upvote this feedback, it's for extending auto correct support to Win32 programs too

https://aka.ms/AA7ejsn

@HotCakeX

... the same auto correct feature in Windows 10 ... doesn't work in Win32 programs, like the new Edge, only works in UWP apps,
... never seen it inside a browser,

I don't know where Internet Explorer fits into your taxonomy, but Windows Spelling autocorrect works really well in both the IE and Legacy Edge browsers. 

@Noel Burgess 

Spoiler

@Noel Burgess wrote:

@HotCakeX

... the same auto correct feature in Windows 10 ... doesn't work in Win32 programs, like the new Edge, only works in UWP apps,
... never seen it inside a browser,

I don't know where Internet Explorer fits into your taxonomy, but Windows Spelling autocorrect works really well in both the IE and Legacy Edge browsers. 

it doesn't. I just tried it right now, opened Internet explorer, the default MSN home page loaded, in the Bing search bar typed these: "schol" , "rihana" , "Simultanus" and then nothing happened. the auto correct didn't kick in.

then I tried typing the same words in Mail app (UWP) by creating a new mail and typed the same words in the email body and auto correct kicked in and corrected those words automatically: "School" , "Rihanna" , "Simultaneous".

I can record the screen and post the video here if you want.

I wouldn't expect autocorrect to be active in a search box, any more than in an input box for username or password. For a start, if I were searching for andreas scholl, I wouldn't be happy to see results for andrews school instead. Secondly, major search engines usually detect misspelt search terms and ask whether you intended to search for something else. 

I have just typed this reply in IE11 and seen several autocorrections as my fumblefingers progress. Most notably, 'mispelt' is not only recognized, but recognized as a misspelling of 'misspelt.' 

@Noel Burgess 

Spoiler

@Noel Burgess wrote:

I wouldn't expect autocorrect to be active in a search box, any more than in an input box for username or password. For a start, if I were searching for andreas scholl, I wouldn't be happy to see results for andrews school instead. Secondly, major search engines usually detect misspelt search terms and ask whether you intended to search for something else. 

I have just typed this reply in IE11 and seen several autocorrections as my fumblefingers progress. Most notably, 'mispelt' is not only recognized, but recognized as a misspelling of 'misspelt.' 

I tried in a sample text box too, same results.

anyway, IE is not the point here. there are Billions of programs in Windows 10 and auto correct don't work in them because it only works in UWP apps. this is a problem that should be fixed in Windows 10 or maybe Edge team can find a way around that.