SOLVED

Automatic Profile Switching in Edge: Specify domain for each profile

Brass Contributor

I would like to specify a domain for eg amazon.in to open in Personal profile whereas my work code repository domain to open in the work profile, right now I can't configure which websites to open in which profile.

26 Replies

@saurabhjain Thanks for the request, and welcome to our MSFT Edge Insider community! Can you tell us more about your use case for this?

I'm not as familiar with the scope of functionality for Profile Switching, so adding the feature's owner, @Avi Vaid, for visibility.

Fawkes (they/them)
Program Manager & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted Automatic profile switching chooses which profile to open an external link. Right now it is automatic and for me is not doing any switching when opening external links (maybe it is not identifying them as personal/work-related things), so I would like to provide certain domains to be opened in the personal profile and certain to be in the work profile, like when I am shopping (amazon, etc) / using social media websites (Instagram, Twitter) I want to open them in personal profile but like when some shares a document link to me (Google Docs, O365), work-related tools (git repository, JIRA, etc) I want those links to be opened in my work profile. Also if this can be done for links that are typed into the browser then it would be very useful, like if I forget to switch to personal profile to browse Facebook and instead open it in work profile it should automatically switch or show a pop up to switch.

best response
Solution

@saurabhjain nice suggestion! The bad news is that we don't have a better suggestion at this very moment. The only think I can thing of is that you can right click on a link if opening a site from the web and open the link as a particular profile. We may build a near term workaround to right click on a tab and move it to another profile as well.

The good news is that this is on our roadmap. Currently, we define work and personal fairly naively by if a site tries to auth with a work or personal microsoft account. We are planning to look into a feature where you can configure a list of sites that you define as work or personal in a future release.

I'm glad this is going to be a feature! I have some sites that aren't Microsoft-associated that I still consider work sites and I'd love to see this implemented!

@Avi Vaid Glad to know this is going to be a feature to configure list of work / personal sites.

@Avi Vaid, do you have any issue number or something? for us to be informed when this feature will be available.

Thanks for this information.

I'm sorry, we don't have a public issue number that you can reference. You can follow our release announcements here to stay in the loop about this - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-relnote-beta-channel
This feature assumes that work uses a Microsoft account. For this to work, some sort of SAML/OAUTH discovery for Office 365/Microsoft 365 is needed. Or allow users to specify specific domain suffixes that will use which user profile.

This feature seems to be in place in Edge now, but I can't add new sites to the profile list - the Add button is greyed out.  Any ideas why?  How do I tell Edge which domains to use for work?

AndyBryant_0-1629278661372.png

@Andy Bryant I do not see an "Add" button as at 5-Nov-2021 on Edge Version 95.0.1020.40 (Official build) (64-bit), despite the banner stating "Add, edit and delete automatic profile switching websites list here".

GlennSA_0-1636103090298.png

How does one add a specific website so that it opens in a specific Edge profile?

i have the same thing now the 95 browser is really released..
And that feature is listed, how do i add stuff to that list for a profile? i don't even see that "filter sites"

This is not something Edge needs to be smart about, i will give them a list per profile of sites that i really want to have in that or this profile... i know my domains..

@SkyFall Same here.  Now in Edge 98 where this option is supposed to be available to public.
Screenshot 2022-02-07 091329.png

@Greg Lamb 

i have downloaded the Dev variant and there yes it works, i see the button at the moment i make my second profile

Maybe something goes wrong with that button if you install on top of an existing installation that already have profiles before...

Thanks but I was asking in which build did you first observe an Add button? Thanks
just when i downloaded a few days ago the EdgeDev build i saw on that build that the button was there..
But the Version 98.0.1108.43 build still doesn't have that add button only EdgeDev: 99.0.1150.2 has that button for me
It seems like it's close to release. Is the Add button functional?
yes it works but i think it should also work in the released version
Everything is there.
i wonder what happens if you would start clean and then open the release Edge for the first time and make a profile.
Because with EdgeDev i need to make a new release, so it kind of starts fully fresh.. it could be that there is a bug when you are just upgrading Edge that already has profiles before so then it is somehow screwed up.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response
Solution

@saurabhjain nice suggestion! The bad news is that we don't have a better suggestion at this very moment. The only think I can thing of is that you can right click on a link if opening a site from the web and open the link as a particular profile. We may build a near term workaround to right click on a tab and move it to another profile as well.

The good news is that this is on our roadmap. Currently, we define work and personal fairly naively by if a site tries to auth with a work or personal microsoft account. We are planning to look into a feature where you can configure a list of sites that you define as work or personal in a future release.

View solution in original post