SOLVED

Ask Cortana / Ask Bing - Discussion

Microsoft

Hello Insiders! You have told us that you really want the Ask Cortana / Ask Bing feature in our next version of Microsoft Edge.

In the current version of Microsoft Edge, you can select text or click on an image and get a result from Cortana / Bing in a side panel, without leaving the page you are browsing.

We hear you and from your feedback we understand you would like similar contextual search functionality in a way that does not pull you out of your browsing flow.

We are investigating our ability to add this to the next version of Microsoft Edge and we would like to understand what makes this feature useful for you. 

How did you use this feature?  If you ever attempted to use Ask Cortana / Ask Bing and couldn’t get the answer you were looking for, what steps did you take, if any, to get the answer you were looking for?  

What aspects of the Ask Cortana experience do you like or appreciate?  What improvements would you like to see?

Please let us know, either in the comments below or by using the Send-A-Smile feedback. 

Thanks – Jared Brown and the Microsoft Edge Search Team

123 Replies
Oh yes your right,
I used to use Opera a lot more when it was still using Presto engine. after switching to Chromium, i switched to Google chrome because it was better, but now they have added lots of unique features that one can barely call it a Chrome clone

@FedeDiLo 

"without the need to open a new tab.", F

That ^ is the big deal to all this!

Cheers,
Drew

That's not Cortana though, it's just a normal feature any browser can have
Cortana should be integrated too though.
On some websites I expect like to find her logo somewhere to enhance my experience someway.
Like idk when I'm listening to music she may suggest to show me the lyrics, or when I'm on Amazon she may show me the reviews or alternatives of a product, or when I'm booking a ticket she may show cheaper alternatives and suggestions.
She's a powerful woman, that's for sure! And, certainly, a very helpful ole soul, too!

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from Windows Mobile

Yeah these are more like the things that an AI like Cortana should handle

Sent from Android Mobile

@Drew1903 

VERY helpful

Latest Version: 1.1911.21713.0

Annotation 2019-12-08 141352.png

Sent from Android Mobile

I only said "Hi". she can't even say Hi back to me. it's been like this for almost 1 month now.

they removed so many built in options in its settings too.
they are removing Cortana from Android too.
things aren't going well.

Sent from Android Mobile

@Elliot Kirk  I use this feature to check meaning of some words while reading any article, search for the review of any movie so that I could decide whether I watch that or not and many other stuff. These all were very handy and I didn't had to launch a new tab every time to perform those actions.

But now since they are absent in the new edge browser, I don't find edge better than Google Chrome.

Those are some features of the edge due to which I shifted to edge browser otherwise Google chrome was working just fine for me.

Please take in consideration and bring this handy feature back in the browser.

@HotCakeX  There was some news that Microsoft is trying to kill cortana. They've already removed it from android and also now in windows itself cortana is no smart than she used to be before. 

Microsoft is now only focusing on it's enterprise area and killing off the sections which are not much useful.

@NightCrawler11 

Don't necessarily always believe everything you read.  It's not always the 'gospel' it wants people to think it is.  And oft when not from MS itself one should be especially guarded & cautious.

And considering MS just recently separated Search & Cortana, thereby heightening her identity... and she is becoming increasingly more powerful & capable (more abilities) & tied to more places or things, evolving and improving as time passes.

Cheers,
Drew

@NightCrawler11 @Elliot_Kirk 

Look, Elliot, another new person expressing the same ole stuff (as SO many before)...

Wonder, is the Team getting the hint (??)

"Power to the People!"

Cheers,
Drew

@NightCrawler11 

@NightCrawler11 wrote:

@HotCakeX  There was some news that Microsoft is trying to kill cortana. They've already removed it from android and also now in windows itself cortana is no smart than she used to be before. 

Microsoft is now only focusing on it's enterprise area and killing off the sections which are not much useful.

Yeah and it's not good, Google assistance and other AIs like Alexa or Siri are improving. Microsoft is leaving the door open for them to thrive and for Cortana to lose market share.

Enterprise is important but so are the normal consumers who need AIs and they do use it on daily basis.

Spoiler
@Drew1903 wrote:

Don't necessarily always believe everything you read.  It's not always the 'gospel' it wants people to think it is.  And oft when not from MS itself one should be especially guarded & cautious.

And considering MS just recently separated Search & Cortana, thereby heightening her identity... and she is becoming increasingly more powerful & capable (more abilities) & tied to more places or things, evolving and improving as time passes.

I don't know where those super turbo capabilities of Cortana are, I ain't seeing no power in Windows nor Android.

Spoiler
@Drew1903 wrote:

another new person expressing the same ole stuff (as SO many before)...
Wonder, is the Team getting the hint
Power to the People!

currently in Edge classic, there is no sign of Cortana.

Microsoft Edge 44.19037.1.0

Microsoft EdgeHTML 18.19037

Windows 10 build 19037.1

no word about "Cortana" in the Edge settings neither. only there is option to ask Bing

Annotation 2019-12-08 151754.png

@Drew1903 

Is this how cortana is getting more intelligent and smart..

Lol she can only do whatever she suggests at the bottom, other than that it will be too confusing for her :face_with_tears_of_joy:

@Elliot Kirk Yes i will love Cortana support. But i want easy way to get access to cortana.

Drag the sentence and cortana icon flow on sentence without right clicking it.

And show the result in small window.

exapmle

Annotation 2019-12-29 223638.png

@Elliot Kirk 

evidement que l'option "demander à Cortana" est cool ! le panneau latéral pourrait par contre avoir une plus belle interface et plus ergonomique

Obviously the "ask Cortana" option is cool! the side panel could have a nicer and more ergonomic interface

Hi @Elliot Kirk. I usually use Ask Cortana functionally while studying. It is very helpful for finding relevant information about unknown terminologies. Please please, keep this functionality in Edge Chromium as well. Its a life saver for students.