Ask Before Closing Multiple Tabs feature - Now Available

MVP

Microsoft Edge Version 89.0.739.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

gfgd.jpg

The feature is behind a flag that you need to enable:

edge://flags/#edge-ask-before-closing-multiple-tabs

Ask Before Closing Multiple Tabs

To prevent accidentally closing multiple tabs, the browser can prompt if you want to close all tabs. You can turn this setting on or off in Settings and more (…) > Settings > Appearance > Customize browser. – Mac, Windows, Linux 

as the flag description says, head over to the edge://settings/appearance and toggle that button

24 Replies

@HotCakeXWorks perfectly, thanks for the heads-up!

P.S. Below pop-up is a great learning tool for beginners.

Kam_0-1608317508642.png

Where is the number of the running tabs ???????

@Omar-Os 

@Omar-Os wrote:

Where is the number of the running tabs ???????

nowhere?

it's "warn on close" or "ask before closing multiple tabs" feature, not "show how many tabs are open" feature.

@HotCakeX 
Any decent browsers (Like Firefox) tells you how many tabs you are about to close!!!!!
How am I supposed to know ??? I run dozens of tabs in my work !! And this is actually the only way I know how many tabs I'm running !
I hope they are adding this in the final release, otherwise the feature will be incomplete and ridiculous.

@Omar-Os 

@Omar-Os wrote:

@HotCakeX 
Any decent browsers (Like Firefox) tells you how many tabs you are about to close!!!!!
How am I supposed to know ??? I run dozens of tabs in my work !! And this is actually the only way I know how many tabs I'm running !
I hope they are adding this in the final release, otherwise the feature will be incomplete and ridiculous.

This feature is obviously not to count your open tabs, it's "warn on close" or "ask before closing multiple tabs" feature.

no it won't be ridiculous or incomplete.

I don't expect to see how many open tabs I have, I just want to be warned If i have more than 2 tabs open and then I try to close the browser, that's it. if you need more send feedback through browser feedback button to be added.

Well, the feature works like a charm, we have waited so long for this. I don't think we need a visual count of the tabs open on the Edge window, because you may have tabs spread across different virtual desktops or different Edge windows. That's my own opinion.

It really doesn't belong to this feature. so what if i have 10 or 25 tabs open, like what does the browser expect me to do by mentioning it?! if I want to close the browser then that's what I want to do, this feature just warns me that there are other tabs open and that's alright.

I don't remember exactly but I think Firefox showed number of open tabs before closing multiple tabs and that was pretty useless. a simple tab count number doesn't mean other tabs are important or not, or say anything about the contents of those tabs.

1 tab can be more important than 100 other tabs depending on its content.

I can somewhat understand why Omar-Os wants to have the number of open tabs shown in the warning. I totally respect that different browsers do things differently, but as someone who is also migrating from Firefox, I was actually also expecting the warning to warn me about not only that I'm going to close all tabs but also how many tabs I'm going to close. Of course this feature is not supposed to count the number of open tabs, but I don't thnk showing the number in the warning would be misplaced or could have any negative impact on the user experience either. It might actually even improve the user experience in my opinion.

@Omar-Os Maybe the Extension Tab Count for Microsoft Edge is useful to you as an alternative.

And can you explain how exactly it can improve user experience? Edge developers usually ask users about how a feature suggestion can be exactly useful and helpful before implementing it, which makes total sense.

so any real life example or use cases for it that is useful?

@HotCakeXWell, it might improve the user experience because it makes users a bit more aware of what they are going to do.

For example, I noticed that when I close a Firefox window with a huge number of open tabs (rather than one with a small number) I often consider checking once more if there is really no important tab among them. That's why I find a message like "Do you want to close 123 tabs?" more helpful than a message like "Do you want to close all tabs?".

Of course, this may be completely subjective and only my personal preference. I can't tell what other users find useful or not.

And besides, Edge doesn't (natively) show the number of open tabs anywhere else either, right? It does however in the mobile Version. So this feature could be a way to introduce this information in the Desktop version.

By the way, I'm not saying that this is an essential information or that the closure warning feature would be inclomplete without it. It doesn't even necessarily have to be in the closure warning message (but it would make sense though).

Yes, I think the number of tabs can be shown somewhere else and would be useful,
and then i think there will be other complications, whether that number should represent tabs in other windows, other windows themselves, PWAs, tabs in PWAs, Application guard Window, Edge windows on other virtual desktops (Windows 10) etc.

@-Mohit- 
Don't waste your time with her, she's always against any good idea from any customer and always tries to convince them that their idea is terrible with no actual good reason or explanation.

Thanks for the extension, but I'm trying to NOT use extensions as much as possible!
Not to use extensions for every silly detail that Edge doesn't have while other browsers does !

@HotCakeX wrote:
Yes, I think the number of tabs can be shown somewhere else and would be useful,
and then i think there will be other complications, whether that number should represent tabs in other windows, other windows themselves, PWAs, tabs in PWAs, Application guard Window, Edge windows on other virtual desktops (Windows 10) etc.

Good point. Considering this, it would make even more sense to put the number in the closure warning and not somewhere else, because that clearly references only the window to be closed ;)

@Omar-Os 

Spoiler

@Omar-Os wrote:

@-Mohit- 
Don't waste your time with her, she's always against any good idea from any customer and always tries to convince them that their idea is terrible with no actual good reason or explanation.

Thanks for the extension, but I'm trying to NOT use extensions as much as possible!
Not to use extensions for every silly detail that Edge doesn't have while other browsers does !

Lol I literally explained everything in the thread and then this guy says "without any explanation"

and you're wrong about the rest too, I'm not against any idea. but it's a community, when you mention something, people can agree or disagree.

if you don't want that, then you can send your idea straight to Edge developers using feedback button.

people really need to understand this and also understand the difference between "disagreement" and "personal attack", and that in the world, not everyone agrees with you and that's OK.

@-Mohit- 

Spoiler

@-Mohit- wrote:

@HotCakeX wrote:

Good point. Considering this, it would make even more sense to put the number in the closure warning and not somewhere else, because that clearly references only the window to be closed ;)

sure, and then we're back at this ;)

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/ask-before-closing-multiple-tabs-feature-now-avai...

I don't really care who sends what suggestion using feedback button, but in the public thread here, and based on my experience with Firefox, I don't see any use for it, because of the reasons in the comment above.

but if you find it useful then that's good, send feedback about it ^^

p.s There are TONS of other ideas posted by others in the community that I LOVE them to be implemented.

@HotCakeX wrote:

sure, and then we're back at this ;)

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/ask-before-closing-multiple-tabs-feature-now-avai...

But I already explained that: It is not useless because it makes the user aware of what is precisely going to happen. Telling the user how many tabs will be closed is a more concrete information than just telling that all tabs will be closed.

But anyways, we seem to have different opinions on that, which is of course totally fine. I just wanted to make sure that you understand my point and why I think this additional information could be considered as useful by users.

Why Microsoft remove this function in Edge Canary 105 ?