SOLVED

Application Guard extension keeps Microsoft Edge open and brings back closed tabs on startup

MVP

Windows Defender Application Guard extension installed on Edge Version 78.0.254.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit). Windows 10 build 18965.1005.

the extension keeps Edge browser running in the background:

Annotation 2019-08-23 152128.png

and even though this option is selected:

Annotation 2019-08-23 152207.png

when I close the Edge and reopen it, it brings back all my open tabs again. so If i close the Edge window with 10 tabs open, once I launch Edge I still have my 10 tabs.

the option to open a new tab on start up is not taking effect.

4 Replies

Hi @HotCakeX  - I've experienced this as well with the same tabs reloading at startup. I found that closing the Microsoft Edge window doesn’t quit the browser fully and Microsoft Edge will continue to run in the background. Whether this happens, or not, depends on the applications and extensions you have installed in Microsoft Edge. Some apps and extension can “ask” the browser to stay awake to continue to function, for example, notifications of new e-mail messages, or to keep a chat alive.

On that note, there is a Setting in Microsoft Edge that can stop it from running in the background ' "Continue running background apps when Microsoft Edge is closed". I believe this is enabled by default.

This will be under Settings, then System.

Capture.PNG

You can re-enable by toggling of course. Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,
DarrenMH

Hi,
Thanks for the reply,
When i was on Google Chrome Canary (1 month ago), the same thing would happen, one of my extensions (VPN) would keep running in background so that when i close the Google Chrome, it would stay connected. but that didn't bring back the tabs that i already had closed.
this behavior doesn't really seem right or normal. I still use the same VPN extension on Edge insider as well as the application guard extension but on this browser it brings back my closed tabs again.
unfortunately, turning off background apps is not an option for me. I believe this is an unwanted behavior, a side effect. but again maybe this is the normal behavior and Google chrome was acting abnormally.
best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

@HotCakeX Thanx for your feedback. However, Application Guard is natively supported in the new MS Edge on your Windows build. There is no need to install the extension. We are investigating about the next steps for the extension. 

Thanks, didn't realize that. I just uninstalled it. :)
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

@HotCakeX Thanx for your feedback. However, Application Guard is natively supported in the new MS Edge on your Windows build. There is no need to install the extension. We are investigating about the next steps for the extension. 

View solution in original post