Any way to stop it from crashing tabs due to no memory?

Brass Contributor

It seems to have started to do it more recently, before the whole browser might have crashed, but now whole batches of tabs, which is annoying as it doesn't even ask like whole browser crashes do...

14 Replies
Are you running Microsoft Edge on Windows?
Do you have any add-ons or extensions installed on the Microsoft Edge?
Does it shows any error message?

I got lots of extensions, can't list them all, but yeah to the former. It's like this.

I just don't know why it doesn't freeze like it usually does when mem is >90%, I'd rather that than tab crashes.

Just for test disable all of your add-ons and extensions and see if the problem persist?
If not, you may enable your extensions in group and start with the one which are more stable and you are using them regularly and enable another group and see what causing the crashing. You may navigate to edge://crashes/ too see more details of history of crashes in the Microsoft Edge.

@seyfert 

Hi, this behavior is often due to outdated Windows - what build do you currently have?
Do a few restarts and write how it works.

Of course, delete the browser cache first and download updates in Microsoft Store

What am I supposed to see details of? There's only an index of times and some IDs...

And what's extensions got to do with batches of tabs being clearly selected by the browser for crashes? It's clearly the browser thinking it doesn't have much memory left and crashing, but it doesn't seem to even freeze like it usually does, which is absurd.

Andrzej1, it's W10.

This is just for testing and sometimes extensions will load certain component and cause crash. Try run the browser with all extensions disable or in InPrivate browsing mode and see if the problem persist?
It doesn't seem to happen in private, but how could it be an extension when it's clearly a native Edge interface message being shown? I've also never seen it before this year, so it must have been some Edge update that changed something... I was hoping there was some flag that dealt with it...
It might be a message from the Microsoft Edge, but extensions are interacted with the Microsoft Edge and sometimes cause crash. Just for test disable all extensions and run Microsoft Edge in normal mode and see if the problem persists?
What's weird now after getting a new PC with so many more GBs of memory... it usually hovers around 50% usage, and somehow it still crashed due to no memory...
Have you tried disabling all extensions?
Try run Windows Update and download and install all updates and restart your PC.

It seems to not happen in private which has fewer extensions, but is ruling each one out the only thing I can do? Is there no knowledge of this anywhere out there, considering it seems so fundamental to Edge?

When you are in InPrivate mode, normally extension won't load.
I advise you to disable all of your extensions and then enable them one by one to identify which one causing this issue.
You may also send feedback to the Microsoft Edge team, and it will contain log files and they could investigate.
I gave up... enabling 50 one by one would take mind-numbingly long... wish I didn't need to choose between keeping track of what tabs I have open, and their crashing if tracked...
In such a case, I advise you to report this issue using the Feedback option in the Microsoft Edge.