Android Edge Reading View options?

Steel Contributor

Android Google Chrome, Firefox and Firefox Preview browsers all provide some options for the 'Reading View', although each has a very different way of accessing them - things like 'theme' (a few text and background colour combos) font and text size. As do their corresponding desktop browsers, and desktop Edge Canary/Dev too. However, I can't seem to find such options in Android Edge (beta), other than that the reading view text and background colours change light/dark with the overall app theme setting. Am I just missing how to access these options in Android Edge, or are there really none?

And, to add my voice to some other topics, I am getting more and more aggravated by the lack of access to the edge://flags even in the beta. Firefox Preview also doesn't allow access to the flags, but the Nightly version does. Come on, Microsoft enable the flags access in the betas.

5 Replies
Not just Betas but stable too. and not just edge:flags but also edge:sync-internals , edge:version and lots of others that are available in about:about
there is no point in hiding them

@HotCakeX 

While I'd personally prefer all the Edge:// pages available in all versions, I can maybe understand them limiting access in the stable version at this point in its development (as do Mozilla in Firefox Preview). But not in the beta.

I'm taking it from the lack of other answers and you not mentioning it that there really aren't display options for the reading view and it's not just me missing how to access them (my actual reason for posting - the bit about flags was just a tagged on moan). So Android Edge is missing this feature that both old and new Firefox and Google Chrome Android browsers have, along with all the desktop browsers.

@DavidGB 

To enable Reading View in Microsoft Edge Insider (experimental feature): Navigate to “edge://flags” in Edge Insider. Search for and enable the “Microsoft Edge Reading View” flag (you'll need to restart the browser). Navigate to a page where Reading View is supported and click the book icon in the address bar.

@DavidGB 

Spoiler

@DavidGB wrote:

@HotCakeX 

While I'd personally prefer all the Edge:// pages available in all versions, I can maybe understand them limiting access in the stable version at this point in its development (as do Mozilla in Firefox Preview). But not in the beta.

I'm taking it from the lack of other answers and you not mentioning it that there really aren't display options for the reading view and it's not just me missing how to access them (my actual reason for posting - the bit about flags was just a tagged on moan). So Android Edge is missing this feature that both old and new Firefox and Google Chrome Android browsers have, along with all the desktop browsers.

Whatever Mozilla is doing with their new experimental browser for Android is their own business. they are not even using Chromium.

Google chrome on Android, Stable, allows users to access flags page and other internal pages, there is no reason Microsoft blocking it on their Edge stable/beta channels for Android.

flags being there would most likely allow us to access reading view and all other features that are available in Chromium but hidden from users.

@Lewis-H 

Spoiler

@Lewis-H wrote:

@DavidGB 

To enable Reading View in Microsoft Edge Insider (experimental feature): Navigate to “edge://flags” in Edge Insider. Search for and enable the “Microsoft Edge Reading View” flag (you'll need to restart the browser). Navigate to a page where Reading View is supported and click the book icon in the address bar.

I'm not sure if you even read the post but it's about Android, Not desktop.