Android Edge Canary - Open in new tab on article links in NTP news feed, please.

Steel Contributor

In Android Edge, please, please add a long press menu with 'Open in new tab' option on the story links in the NTP news feed, like with normal links on ordinary pages. This is an issue with many other feeds, but seems particularly bad with the Android Edge NTP feed. I go to the feed, scroll a little way, see e.g. three stories I want to read, go to and read the first - which is in that same tab as the NTP - then go back to the NTP and the feed, but it reloads and the refresh changes many of the stories shown in the feed so I lose some or all of the others that had caught my interest. Read a second story, and the list refreshes again changing the stories again. Sometimes I end up forcing NTP feed refresh after refresh just trying to get a now half remembered headline back again.

If the NTP feed, acted like other pages, I could scroll down the feed long pressing and 'Open in new tab'-bing all the stories I'm interested in without a refresh and without them disappearing, then go to the tab selector and work my way through reading them. (Alternatively there could be a 'feed lock', but I presume just allowing the usual long press menu on the story links with the normal open in new tab option would be much simpler, and would fully address the issue.)

On another NTP matter, how about an 'Add to top sites' action on the pull-up menu thing? Being able to choose the links to have in the NTP 'most visited sites' section is great, but it's a bit of a pain having to type them (or go back and forwards selecting, copying and pasting them) in.

P.S. It's great that Android Edge Canary can act as the autofill service on an Android phone. I wanted to be able to use a Microsoft autofill service, but didn't want to use Authenticator. Good job.

0 Replies