SOLVED

An error occurred while checking for updates: We could not create this component (error code 3)

Copper Contributor

An error occurred while checking for updates: We could not create this component (error code 3: 0x80040154).
So how is it going? Knowing that I had a update since Windows update "KB4552455".
I do not know if it is this maj that cause worries !!

15 Replies

@bilalop44 

Hello,

it's Not related to Windows 10 updates. we are All experiencing this problem and it's only related to Edge canary.

it's natural with Canary builds as they tend to have these problems and be less stable than Dev and other channels respectively.

let's wait it out for the team to fix this issue, meanwhile you can always use the Dev channel side by side your Canary :)

@Seewolfpk Yes. I'm going to say that, too. We're waiting for the edge team to fix it.

@bilalop44 The good news is that this doesn't actually affect the updater's ability to check for updates, so you'll still keep getting them.  You just can't get them on-demand.  We believe we've got a fix for this that you should see in the next day or two, depending on when your updater decides to run.  

@josh_bodner 

@josh_bodner wrote:

@bilalop44The good news is that this doesn't actually affect the updater's ability to check for updates, so you'll still keep getting them.  You just can't get them on-demand.  We believe we've got a fix for this that you should see in the next day or two, depending on when your updater decides to run.  

Hi,

is it possible to change when the updater runs using group policy? by installing Edge ADMX files?

how about running these task manually from Windows task scheduler?

fdsfs.png

@josh_bodner @Deleted 

Will running these work and force Edge to update or check for update when it's closed?

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate\MicrosoftEdgeUpdate.exe /c

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate\MicrosoftEdgeUpdate.exe /ua /installsource scheduler

best response confirmed by bilalop44 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@bilalop44 @Seewolfpk @josh_bodner @geoffarnold @nikitat1260 

Fixed in Version 84.0.485.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit) :hearteyes:

bvbv.png

Thanks, @HotCakeX I had to go to the channel and download the latest Edge Canary, then guessed that the next step should be to quit Edge and restart it. That worked. It would be helpful if the installer recommended the restart.

oh of course when you are running the installer you have to have Edge closed first :)

1) Start your computer and log on as an administrator.

2) Click the Start button then select All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then click System Restore.

3) In the new window, select "Restore my computer to an earlier time" option and then click Next.

4) Select the most recent system restore point from the "On this list, click a restore point" list, and then click Next.

5) Click Next on the confirmation window.

6) Restarts the computer when the restoration is finished.

@bilalop44 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by bilalop44 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@bilalop44 @Seewolfpk @josh_bodner @geoffarnold @nikitat1260 

Fixed in Version 84.0.485.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit) :hearteyes:

bvbv.png

View solution in original post