After every update of Edge, all PDFs open in Edge, not in PDF reader

Steel Contributor

Since the launch of Edge as browser, Windows 10 / 11 resets the default PDF reader to Edge with every single update of the Edge browser, the PDF application default is reset.

I've applied registry fixes multiple times to open my PDFs in Foxit reader (it could be Acrobat or any other PDF reader of your favor..), but nevertheless, it goes back to Edge defaults over and over again.

I need to reset the PDF reader via de Windows explorer settings, opening a PDF with alternative viewer... The Windows settings > Apps > Default apps interface does not save the settings, you can check the .pdf file setting, but Edge keeps in place, an other app is not saved. 

Does any one have a hint or a suggestion to fix this once and for all? 

Rgds,
Peter

5 Replies
Changing the registry directly is likely what's causing the settings to be reset, since there is protection in place to prevent rogue applications from changing the registry when you don't want them to. If the Windows settings aren't saving properly though, that sounds like a bug in Windows. What version of Windows are you using that you see that behavior in?
Windows = Win 11, Version 21H2, OS Build 22000.556
Microsoft Edge Version 100.0.1185.36 (Official build) (64-bit)
Correction, now Microsoft Edge Version 100.0.1185.39 (Official build) (64-bit)
Okay, and which setting specifically in Windows settings are you changing? Are you going into the PDF application and changing all the file types that a particular application owns, or are you going into the defaults by file type and protocol lists and changing the few that you want there? One other thing I thought of is that, if it's the second, it might be that you're missing something, and the PDFs are being opened in a different way than you're specifying.
No registry change here. Just change default pdf app to adobe reader in settings, and updates revert it back.