SOLVED

Add Syncing of PWAs between devices | sites that are installed as apps in Edge browser

MVP

I usually add a bunch of sites and social medias to Edge as PWA and install them in Edge: edge://apps/

I would like them to sync with my Microsoft account and to be available on all of my devices, other Windows and Mac devices, so I won't have to install them one by one again.

17 Replies
best response
Solution

@HotCakeX thank you for the reminder, I had meant to add this to our backlog awhile ago. I agree with you, though it is a complex scenario - some apps are really meant to be mobile only (uber, maybe), while others are clearly equally useful on desktop and mobile (facebook, probably). But it sure would be nice to able to choose to do this.

-John

@johnjansen 

@johnjansen wrote:

@HotCakeX thank you for the reminder, I had meant to add this to our backlog awhile ago. I agree with you, though it is a complex scenario - some apps are really meant to be mobile only (uber, maybe), while others are clearly equally useful on desktop and mobile (facebook, probably). But it sure would be nice to able to choose to do this.

-John

To decrease the complexity, you could separate the PWAs syncing of desktops from mobile. desktop browsers (Windows/Mac/maybe Linux) sync installed PWAs between themselves while mobile browsers (Android/IOS) do the same among themselves.

although, except uber, the rest of the websites I use and came across, have responsive UI and can provide the same service on any platform. I mean that's the whole point and idea behind PWAs, right? to make a web app once and use it in any platform, instead of making multiple native apps for each platform/OS. (Spotify web player, Whatsapp web, Telegram web, Twitter, Facebook, Outlook, Gmail etc)

so that's why I think you can still sync all PWAs, even between desktop and mobile Edge browsers and don't run into problems. however there could be a checkbox next to each app in edge://apps/

to tell Edge whether user wants it to be available on mobile or not.

update 1/4/2021

or the checkbox can instead ask whether user wants to sync the app or not. (that will include/exclusive other desktop Edge installation as well as Edge on mobile)

I don't think that's a good idea. It's much like installing apps. You wouldn't want the exact same apps on every device. It's confusing.
Except it's not installing apps and it's just creating shortcuts. and I showed above how to not make it confusing
Yeah, PWAs are just shortcuts but they're like apps in the way that they're in the start menu.
Yeah but like I said there there ways to implement it properly and make it useful
Absolutely. 100%. Additionally would like to be able to "deploy" the PWA to users via Group Policy or Intune etc. Edge already can do this with Extensions. Just another thing I don't have to worry about when setting up new workstations for my users.

@johnjansen 

Hi,

is there any updates on this? it's been 9 months, also you mentioned that you had meant to add this to the backlog awhile before.

Yeah, some people don't like random apps installing on thier computer and think it is malware that is edge is just isntalling it by default.

That woudl be confusing :*

@Deleted 

@Deleted wrote:
Yeah, some people don't like random apps installing on thier computer and think it is malware that is edge is just isntalling it by default.

That woudl be confusing :*

just read the conversation again please. nothing is confusing, everything already explained.

this specific comment:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/add-syncing-of-pwas-between-devices-sites-that-are-installed-as/m-p/1252682/highlight/true#M27146

I think it would be good if windows or edge can ask for a prompt to you if you want to install the apps since defender may think that ran dom apps is installing would be???

you are already asked, with a prompt, to install a website as an app.
as a matter of fact, websites don't automatically get installed as app, the installation needs to be initiated by the user only.

if you are talking about syncing, they can be silently installed, which is only adding shortcuts to certain places and other minor modifications.

prior to that, user explicitly grants the permission.

Windows defender won't alert for legitimate and safe apps.

Yeah, but the user has a choice to sync it or not in the settings.
yes and a choice for each app separately
can't believe such an obvious idea has so many doubts?!?!?!

Just exemplifies Microsoft!!!

Sad part is no proper alternative
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response
Solution

-John

View solution in original post