Add .HEIF support to the Edge browser

MVP

What does it do?

Like JPEG, HEIF is a standard for lossy digital image compression. It’s a technology for maintaining some quality while keeping file sizes small; compared to a lossless technology like TIFF, which employs little to no compression but file sizes are very large. HEIF maintains the image quality of JPEG but at up to half the size, or offers better quality at the same size. It achieves this by comparing all the data of an image and only saving the areas that are different, instead of every piece of information (it’s more technical than that).

HEIF also supports animation, and is capable of storing more information than an animated GIF at a small fraction of the size.

it will be helpful if Edge supported this format so websites will be able to use this new format to display still and animated pictures more efficiently.

I sent this feature request using feedback button on Edge browser. if you also want this feature, please do the same.

15 Replies

@HotCakeX 

I'm under the impression that I can view HEIF images and HEVC videos in Edge (Stable  80.0.361.66 and Dev 82.0.439.1).

For instance, I can view all images and videos (and bursts, collections, sequences etc.) at;

https://nokiatech.github.io/heif/examples.html 

Probably because months ago I installed;

Microsoft's HEIF Image Extensions from the MS Store

and

HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer in the MS Store

And if I download an .mkv file it will play in the Movies & TV app:

e.g. h265/HEVC Test Files

See also; How to View HEVC or HEIC Files in Windows 10 for Free

and/or How To Get the Free HEVC Codec for Windows 10 / H.265 / HEVC Video Extensions [YouTube]

I also noticed that Wikipedia says; "Web browsers - As of October 2019, no browsers support HEIF natively: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Efficiency_Image_File_Format#Support

Glad to be corrected if I've misunderstood something, as this is clearly a complex area with confusing acronyms and standards.

Regards,

BruceR.

Hi,
I also have HIEF and HVEC extensions installed on Windows 10 but when I drag an HEIF image to Edge, instead of opening it in the browser, Edge just downloads it.

the site you linked to that supposedly has HEIF example images, when i open an image, right-click and choose save on it, the downloaded image is .PNG.

Edge Version 82.0.449.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

@HotCakeX 

OK, thanks.

But your request was for Edge to be able to display website images, with no mention of opening or saving local files.

It was a simple and quick way of testing it, instead of setting up a local website, add HTML code and embed an HEIF image in it.
once Edge is able to show HEIF images in websites, it will be able to open them locally as well.

@HotCakeX 

But Edge is able to show HEIF images in websites.

How?
paste this into your browser and let me know whether Edge opens it or downloads it
https://nokiatech.github.io/heif/content/images/autumn_1440x960.heic

if it downloads it, it means it can't read it so by downloading it lets user use another program to read the file.

also in the same Wikipedia page that you showed me, it says no browser currently supports this format.

@HotCakeX 

"it will be helpful if Edge supported this format so websites will be able to use this new format to display still and animated pictures more efficiently."

Websites are able to use his new format to display still and animated pictures more efficiently.

@Bruce Roberts 

Spoiler

@Bruce Roberts wrote:

@HotCakeX 

"it will be helpful if Edge supported this format so websites will be able to use this new format to display still and animated pictures more efficiently."

Websites are able to use his new format to display still and animated pictures more efficiently.

Nope, they don't.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/add-heif-support-to-the-edge-browser/m-p/1221029/...

@HotCakeX

Is there any browser (not legacy Edge) which supports HEIF natively?

@Deleted 

@Deleted wrote:

@HotCakeX

Is there any browser (not legacy Edge) which supports HEIF natively?

Nope, like explained in the previous comments, no browser currently supports this, that's why website developers can't use this image format/container. it's more optimized and better but lack of support in browsers is the problem.

Microsoft, by supporting this, can change it and be the first.

Actually it is supoorted, I can see .HEIF images on my site... 

@Deleted 

@Deleted wrote:

Actually it is supoorted, I can see .HEIF images on my site... 

Which website? where?

@Bruce Roberts 

Mr Roberts if MS really cared WHAT WOULD HELP they would have canned BING before the FIRST THREE MILLION COMPLAINTS about MS forcing it on thru the servers.   

BING Continues,  And That IS Proof Positive MS Could care less about Customer Concerns.

@AIRBUS737 

Why me?

Why now?

Why Bing?

Does Microsoft edge still does not natively display heif images. Does MS have plans to implement this?