SOLVED

Add Extension Support for Android version of Edge browser

MVP

It's possible, there are browsers like Kiwi that support it. would be great if Microsoft Edge did the same and allowed our extensions used in desktop to be used on Android phones and tablets too.

of course this needs to be considered in the process of revamping the current Edge Android version and swapping its engines.

74 Replies
Yes that extension is only officially released for the Chromium browsers.
Microsoft thought Firefox users won't be needing it!
so any update from edge team about extension support? i need ublock origin and dark reader..

@binocry 

+1 on the need for Dark Reader extension in Android Edge. Or have what Android Chrome has - flag setting that adds a 'darken websites' option below the Dark Theme radio button.in Settings>Themes.

Or give us installed extension like edge for Android rn, but put in one menu example: Addons. Because its now somewhat messy, spread in settings. And I do not like Adblock Plus because it eats in CPU and RAM and do not like Acceptable Ads BS

Yeah adblock plus is useless, though it feels better now to browser in Edge because they added Tracking Prevention from desktop to Android

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/where-is-tracking-prevention-in-edge-beta-for-and...

Not that useless, but need turn off acceptables ads (i dont trust ADP so much; there was a rumor that ADP received bribery from Google to keep ads) then it working fine. What i really dont like it because ADP cpu & ram hogs. Really do not I understand why not use ublock origin that proved its commitment in blocking ads.
Oh, good thread,
I use kiwi on android because of extension support, and support for external download manager, and tbh kiwi is much much faster than any of the browsers out there I tried.
I use edge chromium as my default browser on my desktop. Main problem I got is sync, and that's really a big problem. I would happily switch to edge android if they add extension & ext. download manager support in their browser.
For that time being, If anyone knows any workaround to tackle this sync problem,???
You misunderstood, I was talking about syncing between edge chromium on desktop & kiwi on android. they don't sync because they are completely different browsers. But I wanna know if there is any workaround except for export and import.
Oh okay, well there are extensions that sync favorites, for passwords you can use password manager extensions
Which extension can sync my bookmarks? Can you suggest some? I only need favorites synced & not any other thing. I use Bitwarden for password storage, I don't use edge's password storage. Suggest some good extension which can sync bookmarks.
Not working correctly on Kiwi, No bookmarks were synced.
kiwi can import bookmark from html file right?
Yes, it can. but don't you think it would exhaustive and non-practical to first export bookmarks from edge desktop than transfer to phone then import each time I update my bookmarks in desktop.... and it's not all, I would also loose the ability to cross platform my browsing, like I am browsing something on android, but later wants to browse it on desktop? How would I do that, either I would have to search for that on internet from scratch, or try import export. What if there are more than 1 items... and so on...
I think to have an easier way, you need to switch browsers on phone. gotta choose between extensions and easy favorite syncing
I knew and have already tried that way you thinking about, that's why I am asking for extension support in edge on android.
Especially now that Firefox has removed this feature from its last mobile release and chrome has never had such feature on mobile, it could be very beneficial to increase Edge's popularity and base of users!

Totally agree. I've never been this excited for a browser other than when I first saw one. The reason Google will never do this for Chrome is since they heavily need us not to enable Adblockers on our mobile devices. Microsoft might just be the one to do this.