[Done] Add a "Search by voice" option in the new tab page

MVP

There needs to be an option in the new tab page in Edge to initiate a web search using voice and picture (reverse image search), instead of having to go to the Bing and then click on the microphone icon, Or going to Bing images and doing the reverse search.

21 Replies

@HotCakeX 

+1 for this great suggestion. Sent feedback about it.

@TheShaunSaw 

this is now added to Edge Version 87.0.664.75 (Official build) (64-bit)

(controlled feature rollout), it works perfectly. I have it on Edge stable but not canary

ewew.png

@HotCakeX 

Thanks for updating me about this feature. I Will try as soon as I get it :smile:

That is amazing!! Thanks,
Yeah, it seems not to be avaible on work accounts or school accounts?
probably not, those accounts might need to configure a policy for that to appear, i'm not sure if the related policy is even available yet since its a very new feature

@HotCakeX 
Hello! 
It seems the search by voice icon is gone from the new tab window now in Edge? On 3 different PCs I use it is gone. No policy restrictions. I miss it. Please let me know. Thanks

Why has Microsoft removed "Search by voice" option in the new tab page?

Microsoft please add it back ASAP!!!!!!!!!!

I forgot to say "Search by voice" option is on the new tab page on Windows 11.

But it is missing on all versions of Edge on Windows 10 :(

The "Search by voice" option was actually on new tab page in the Canary builds for a while but it was removed the other day.

So strange and I would really like Microsoft to tell us what is going on?

@Steveg71 

@Steveg71 wrote:

@HotCakeX 
Hello! 
It seems the search by voice icon is gone from the new tab window now in Edge? On 3 different PCs I use it is gone. No policy restrictions. I miss it. Please let me know. Thanks

You can use the global shortcut, W + H

Wait so are you saying going forward the "Search by voice" option on new tabs in Edge will only be available in Windows 11 and beyond?

I'm not sure, but you said it's available in Windows 11 for you so just update your computers to latest OS version
Hi Steve and Mason,
I have Windows 10 and have been using the voice search on New Tab for years now no problem at all and mine has also disappeared completely recently - really infuriating!! Why on earth have they removed it??? I don't want to have to use the keyboard and press windows H every single time I wanna do a search, just click the microphone, instant! Yes I have the latest software installed. Please add your thoughts to the Microsoft comments page https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftedge/forum/all/the-microphone-icon-for-voice-search-has... - you will see my comments there under the name 2Epic, and click at the top that you have the same problem.Thanks a lot guys!

Well now the voice search on New Tabs was just removed from Edge on Windows 11 too!!! :(

What is going on?

You are joking! Yet they still have the microphone voice search on bing.com, which of course I never use as it is so much easier to just click on a new tab to start doing your searches, I just do not understand why they are doing it? If they do not reverse this policy soon, I will add one of the many extensions which let you redirect the new tab to any URL address you wish, and I will just set it as Google search, to get their search numbers even lower than they are at the minute. Seems like they actually want to lose their whole Search business to Google, really, really weird!

@mlmason75 

Simply add a shortcut to Microsoft Start and the microphone and camera search work.

Microsoft Start (msn.com)