Active Tab highlight should match Windows 10 accent colour

Iron Contributor

As per my screenshot below: in the current dark-mode, it's too-difficult at-a-glance, especially once many tabs are open, to easily spot the Active Tab.  Why not add a highlight that either (1) is themed after the Edge app icon colours or (2) matches the accent colour a user has selected for their Windows 10 UI?

EdgeTabColourAsWindows.png

9 Replies

@dftf-wip 

So first there are some built in themes for Edge

image.png

Activated using this flag:

edge://flags/#edge-color-theme-picker

(available on insider channels for now)

then there are Edge exclusive themes on the store that each have their own set of rules and customizations:

https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/addons/microsoft-edge-themes

Also,

Windows 10's accent color applies to the Edge window and tab strips, making the active tab obvious and clear in both dark/light themes.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Windows 10 personalization settings:

image.png

This is the only way it makes sense. why? because accent color is correctly applying to the whole Window of any program, including Edge's Window, which means, all tabs that are in the tab strip are part of that Window.

so active tab can't be the only element in Edge to have accent color.

this example makes it more obvious

image.png

as you can see, the majority of the Edge's window and tab strip is blue, which is the accent color of Windows 10, which applies to all Windows of programs.

so the active tab should be identified with another color, in this case, it is the light/dark theme of the browser/Windows.

if it was the opposite way, it would be extremely inconsistent. because then every program would have the correct accent color applied to it except for Edge.

Hi HotCakeX

(1) I see that some official Themes are currently available for the Stable branch. While some like "Gold Hoarder" and "Grounded – Ground War" look reasonable, I don't like "bloaty" themes with background images. (And many of them change both the Active Tab and the entire toolbar/address-bar area, so they all turn bright yellow or green -- not for me, sorry!)

(2) Currently, if you choose an Accent Colour and have "Title bars and window borders" checked this changes the entire Edge tab-strip, minus the Active Tab, to that colour, which I don't want: it looks rather ugly to me. I want the entire top of the browser to remain dark-themed, but for the Active Tab to be somehow be highlighted better, such as with a strip across the top.

Oh well, for as-long-as Edge supports Chrome themes I guess I can just use my current one...

@HotCakeX 

As per usual in Windows: "please expect inconsistency".  Edge isn't the only offender, but the vast-majority of "modern" built-in apps do respect the user's accent colour...

AccentColourUse.png

@dftf-wip 

Spoiler

@dftf-wip wrote:

@HotCakeX 

As per usual in Windows: "please expect inconsistency".  Edge isn't the only offender, but the vast-majority of "modern" built-in apps do respect the user's accent colour...

AccentColourUse.png

You're mixing UWP apps with Win32 apps, they don't have the same design system yet.

and that Edge piece you showed belongs to tab groups.

so all of that in the screenshot shows consistency.

@dftf-wip 

Spoiler

@dftf-wip wrote:
Hi HotCakeX

(1) I see that some official Themes are currently available for the Stable branch. While some like "Gold Hoarder" and "Grounded – Ground War" look reasonable, I don't like "bloaty" themes with background images. (And many of them change both the Active Tab and the entire toolbar/address-bar area, so they all turn bright yellow or green -- not for me, sorry!)

(2) Currently, if you choose an Accent Colour and have "Title bars and window borders" checked this changes the entire Edge tab-strip, minus the Active Tab, to that colour, which I don't want: it looks rather ugly to me. I want the entire top of the browser to remain dark-themed, but for the Active Tab to be somehow be highlighted better, such as with a strip across the top.

Oh well, for as-long-as Edge supports Chrome themes I guess I can just use my current one...

background images are optional, you change NTP options separately.

nothing to be sorry about, and yes they change all that, they have their own rules and customizations, which include identifying the active tab differently.

i understand but it will make Edge an exception. like all other program windows follow the same rules except for Edge.

the only way is for Edge to make a theme, either built in or installable through store, just like Firefox has, to override the Windows settings.

Witam a ja korzystam wyłącznie z czarnego koloru Tła do wszystkiego !
Uważam że każdy ma swoje upodobania i do cenię w Windows .
Dla mnie liczy się duży kontrast ekranu -
bo chcę chcę tego co widzę !
dołączę zrzut - zobaczę jak do ocenicie !

Cześć
Dziś mam karty pionowe - Super podoba mi się dziesięć pomysł!
dodam zrzut jak ekranu do wygląda z czarnym tłem - ja tak lubię w systemie
Windows !

Nowy wygląd interfejsu jest dla mnie Świetny

The high contract mode, looks good

Cześć
Widzę że masz nowy Awatar ! Fajny ale poprzedni był lepszy . Oczywiście przepraszam jeżeli jestem zbyt szczery ! 
Nowy interfejs Edge bardzo jest OK
!
Karty pionowe w Edge do Świetny wygląd ! Tworzy do dobrze dobra Całośćną w Windows X
Gratulacje dla Zespołu Edge Microsoft