Acrylic title bar

Iron Contributor

Well, actually this is a feature that I'd like to see in the whole OS, but since it existed in the old Edge, I'd love to see it in the Chromium version as well 

47 Replies
No, I mean when OneNote's window is under old Edge's window so the intensive purple shines through under the dark grey acrylic.

@HotCakeX I literally provided you with the source in that sentence. But here's another, again from Microsoft themselves - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/design/style/acrylic - it's only supported in XAML or C Sharp.

Ah,
i liked it actually
I'm sure Microsoft can extend it to other languages,
they created it, set the limits and rules themselves, so they can extend it.

They can, but like I say they don't want to because it means maintaining two seperate codebases, if you start adding Windows 10 specific API's and instructions in you can't just maintain one codebase, and just build for any OS you like. Currently they can maintain one codebase for Windows, MacOS and Linux, whereas they'd have to maintain an entirely separate branch just for Windows 10, just to have some transparency effects, which they just won't do. The other alternative is to bake some kind of fake acrylic in, which they can't seem to figure out or don't want to do for performance reasons. So this is what I mean, they don't know how they can do it and not make it too difficult to be worth it.

That sounds like a good explanation about the whole thing, i wonder why "they" are not saying anything about it.
they added transparency effect to their to-do list, it's currently still under review, they could just decline it in the beginning you know
I think this depends how the website is designed. I assume that as long has you haven't scrolled, you should not able to see anything underneath the browser UI, I don't think the OneNote purple navigation bar will bleed through the Acrylic browser UI since it should be fixed on the top of the browser window, it should be a separate DIV in theory (I haven't inspect the code).

Best way to know how it should work, we should refer how Safari in macOS handles websites and have blur effect on its browser UI as you scroll the content while there is still some fixed elements like navigation bar, etc.

Still I think the "easier" to implement is to have acrylic tab bar/title bar like on Edge Legacy. The challenge is how to implement this on Chromium, though isn't recently Microsoft announced that Fluent Design elements can be also implemented on non-UWP as well.

If not they go with the "Safari" route, have content-Acrylic effect instead. Anybody who has a macOS can test this out and just imagine how it will work with Edge. Store and new Xbox app already do this well.
That is Glass8. It has not been updated for Win10 2004 though as of today.